Scottish basket-hilt Broadsword

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by shaolin_hendrix, Jun 24, 2005.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Where could I learn to use the Scottish basket-hilt Broadsword?

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Reinactment societies and so on or tradiitonal swordsmanship schools which are dotted around a bit.

3. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Ive been looking for somewhere that teaches any kind of Scottish MA for a while now.

http://www.cateransociety.com/

Try the above link, they have Schools in the US and may be able to point you in the right direction. I plan on giving it a go when I move down south, ironically there are no schools in the highlands.

4. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Yossarian

I am an affiliate to the Cateran Society, teaching Broadsword/Singlestick here in Gourock. There are several other groups teaching Scottish-European MA around Scotland particularily in Edinburgh and the Aberdeen area. :rolleyes:

Louie

5. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Cheers Louie,

Im still a good few hours from the Aberdeen area but Im moving to Edinburgh in the near future so Ill look up a group then.

6. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

As mentioned by others the Cateran Society is one of the go-to places.

Chris Thomson of the Cateran Society recently taught a 1.5 hour class on Regimental Highland Broadsword (McBane, I think) at the Cumann Bhata Western Martial Arts Seminar.

We recorded the class from two different camera angles on amature video. Chris has generously granted permission to distribute copies of the video

email me at lawson@dayton.net or lklawson@gmail.com for information.....

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2005
  7. shaolin_hendrix

I was in Scotland recently (I drove around and went on a few boats, I went to Glasgow, Oban, Inverness, Orkney, Stirling, and Edinburgh), and while I was there I got a decent scottish broadsword for 50 pounds. Now I'm totally broke, but I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  8. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

You should have come to Dundee and had a good night out on the town!!!

We could've just got drunk, stolen a broadsword (from somewhere......) and saved you £50.......

9. shaolin_hendrix

lol :D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  10. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

You could allso check out the I-33 (or 1-33) manual. It's the oldes one there is in Europe, and it shows european 1h.sword and buckler from around the year 1280. Several web-sites have pictures and explanations, just try browsing for it.

11. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Broadsword

Hi Shaolin....

Pity I missed you on your Glasgow tour, we could have done a bit of broadsword, dirk & targe.

Louie

12. shaolin_hendrix

If I go to Glasgow again I'll be sure to look for your school.

13. shaolin_hendrix

OK, thanks, I'll look for it.

14. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I wouldn't recommend I.33 for instruction on Backsword/Broadsword. The swords used are quite different and the style for using it is different. I.33 is sword and buckler (as you've noted) and not a basket-hilted sword. The techniques illurstrated are definitely different stylistically from the Broadsword/Backsword tradition. There are several good period sorces for Broadsword/Backsword. McBane is the most well known (in my opinion) and is one of the primary sources for the Cateran Society.

In Scotland the go-to guy is Maestro Paul McDonald. Very tallented fellow. Nice.

The [Broadsword_Heavy_Sabre] yahoo group also deals with the basket-hilted Broadsword/Backsword.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. shaolin_hendrix

Thanks, I'll check those out.

16. Stephen Hand

Stephen Hand New Member

I don't know of any groups near you studying basket hilted sword or I.33. The main manuals on the weapon are collected in the book Highland Broadsword from Chivalry Bookshelf. CB also publishes a translation and facsimile of I.33 by Dr Jeff Forgeng and a how-to book on the system by me and Paul Wagner.

Cheers
    Stephen

17. Jon Barber

Jon Barber New Member

Steve - he's in Boulder, CO which puts him quite close to the group John Jordan trains with. John studies I.33 (though the group's main focus is Fiore IIIRC).

You can find info about that group here: http://lamar.colostate.edu/~kenelson/RMHCG

Jon Barber
    Tattershall School of Defense

18. shaolin_hendrix

thanks