scientific dimension to MA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vanir, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Theoretical astrophysics and martial arts?
    It is an unoriginal approach, I claim nothing of particular note here. An enthusiast of hard sciences I first gained the idea whilst reading Stephen K Hayes’ books in the early 90’s. Part of the philosophies behind the various traditions under the umbrella of Takamatsu-sensei and soke Masaaki Hatsumi are apparently the mediaeval sciences of the day, derived originally by the Chinese adoption of Greek philosophical establishments (atomos, the elemental theories, duality and quintessence or the void). Of course factually speaking these are in error, just as Newtonian or classical physics (Euclidean spatial reckoning) is useful and workable, but ultimately incorrect. It would throw GPS-navigation out of accuracy by an average 1.2km and no interplanetary probes last century would ever have gotten anywhere near their targets. We could never explain the properties of light and relative velocities or nuclear synthesis, digital technology would never have occurred, electricity would still be a mystery and DNA would remain an elusive goal of biochemists who hadn’t yet evolved into geneticists. Essentially we’d have a lot of question marks where we have usable technologies and associated sciences presently.

Budo Taijutsu deals a lot with elemental representations of human psychology, asserting a commonality between environmental sciences and sentient or specifically sapient beings within it. This is in fact an essential contention of science, the very process itself stressing observation in nature as an establishment of physical laws. Relativity for example did not cross the bridge from likely hypothesis to theorem until confirmation by predictions of planetary motion among other things, though it was widely accepted almost immediately. Quantum mechanics was established by the electrostatic effect, for which Einstein received his Nobel Prize. One of the foundations of hard science is that physical laws are universal in a physical universe. Many finer points of technological development are witnessed in the creation and evolution of stellar formations. The interactions witnessed upon a gigantic scale within interstellar gas clouds across huge spans of time and space are reflected in the almost instantaneous workings of a tiny digital camera.

What I’d like to do is try to apply this to human interactive psychology in a similar fashion to the mystics of the Togakure tradition, as an exercise and see what we come up with. I’d given this some thought previously, several years ago. It was a move in desperation, I’m sorry to say the little I’d learned with Bujinkan Togakure was not working for me in a particularly aggressive long term environment even though it seemed I was more consciously trained than many I was around; quite simply its purpose was to lead me places I could not willingly take myself. I thought, what is the point when the road travelled disqualifies one from the destination? I thought, this could not have been the intention of the mystics and sensei of past times. That simply, without having sought to continually refine its scientific assertions, the tradition has become intellectually outdated. This is unequivocally to say that it has become the very ignorance it sought in mediaeval days to transcend with clarity: academic devolution and the associated propensity for primordial brutality. A matter of, if it walks like a duck and quacks…

For example, it would be exceedingly difficult to justify in an Australian (Westminster) court the stomping of a downed assailant as a “finishing blow,” except in cases of aggravated (i.e. armed) assault due to the proportionate force rule (under the Crimes Act). One must also be aware that utilising any kind of improvised weapon may qualify as “potentially lethal force” and is strictly policed. Most cases of street defence are likely to land all parties under charges of Affray at the very least in the first place, except where clear, clearly witnessed and handled in a strictly lawful manner.

The skills to take a hands on approach in directing an assailant’s motion are valuable, especially for one of such relatively small build as I had always been and yet frequently subject to particularly violent environments and situations. It transcends the predictable defensive response of trading blows which career criminals and enthusiastic fighters find comfortable and tend to excel within. Unfortunately our legal system also much prefers predictable behaviour in a country where brawling is often a part of working class culture, frowned upon in polite company but generally accepted wherever serious injury doesn’t result. A victim of assault in the workplace, unless obviously, completely incapable of defending themselves is considered to have been part of a “dispute,” a security officer required to defend himself is celebrated to have been involved in an “altercation.” It’s easy to get away with terrorising individuals for extended periods. Australians abhor the suggestion of authority associated with the term “self defence” and instead prefer terms such as “community adherence.” The state police have a primary doctrine of “community support” and level their interpretation of lawful behaviour as “community coherence.” I believe many aggressive people find it amusing, the moment a victim decides to defend themselves they are often equally guilty no matter that they played no part in bringing about the situation; to the mind of many simply being in a criminal environment or circumstances involving criminals makes one criminal. Many working class Australians also claim that all people are criminals, some simply haven’t been caught yet or enjoy other titles.

But infinitely more impending than the inherent conservatism of a post mediaeval, imperial governing and legal system, is the general sociological effects to individual psychology by communities largely adherent to this conservatism, even if via simple disconcerted political apathy. It has long been a contention of eastern philosophies that communities directly affect the perspectives of individuals and the western world has turned this into a fine art, with the evolution of capitalism, marketing and political mass media psychology. For example in Australia, the simple claim is made to a democracy, yet we have no inalienable rights whatsoever, the same ideological governing body rules us, makes up the laws and interprets them, and voting is among its selected members. It is illegal to campaign for a fundamentally different government, and the option to vote for one simply doesn’t exist.

Within such a political environment the bridge to psychological brutality can easily be a one way street. People are concerned about rapists, paedophiles and armed robbers, so much so that in certain company simply mentioning the term can bring suspicion like switching on a light globe. Brutal aspects of the human psyche are condemned by conservatists, including those responsible for effective, pragmatic and improvisational self defence. I’ve found in many cases it is ultimately better to simply take the hits and maintain a life direction upon which you were happy and well received by the more peaceful individuals around you. Lets face it, they just plain like to talk about more interesting things and don’t beat each other up as much as the only friends you get left to find when they can no longer consider themselves as peers to you in all respects.

It comes down to which of the world’s social groups do you want available to you? Some are mutually exclusive.

An unadvisable exercise is to have an extended argument with a violent idiot, then take notice of how women, particularly the kinds of women you’re intellectually attracted to respond to you at first glance, for a time afterwards. Now try having a deep intellectual discussion about something of genuine interest with an appropriately qualified or coincidentally interested academic and notice how women you like respond to you afterwards, for a time. It’s funny how our subconscious likes to mull over recent events like a storeroom, searching for development and general intellectual evolution in any available environment whatsoever, quite automatically. Psychologists and parents alike have likened the brain to a sponge, unconsciously soaking up information for good or ill.

My assertion is, to truly take responsibility for one’s world, to truly direct one’s personal surroundings, to truly take control of the direction of one’s life, one must level the power of choice to the psychological environments they are entertaining at all levels. They must at the least be aware of them or simply be controlled by forces they themselves have ignorantly elevated.

Consider for a moment say, Tantric Buddhism. Through the contemplation of imagery, pantheism and meditation techniques the mind is opened up to the world and a given development may be organised, along the path of enlightenment to further achieve a state of Nirvana presumably involving less reincarnations than otherwise haphazardly experienced. It has no contemporary scientific foundation. Now, let’s change the words. By failing to observe the dictates of sanctioned clergy and through the entertainment of anarchistic imaginings one has opened their mind to the influences of Satan, become possessed by demons and irrevocably threatened their eternal afterlife. Fundamentalist mediaeval Catholicism also has no contemporary scientific foundation. So what independent establishment says one way of looking at the same activities is any more correct than another? Of course a community faithful to one or the other may treat one accordingly, providing the emotional experience of social interaction precisely as they choose and as a result, defining the mechanics of individual psychology also as they choose. In a modern world, after an epiphany a Buddhist may find themselves spending the rest of their lives pointlessly arguing semantics with Catholics rather than communicating anything of value to regular people. Ultimately they’re going to find themselves sitting smack bang in the middle of a political war and the point is, would this have been what they would choose to do with their present time?

The mental health facility of mainstream western (capitalist) culture appears to recognise that it is not an exact science, psychiatry for example is better orientated to cases of extreme behavioural tendencies and associated physical brain function, than say a delusional housewife who simply refuses to discipline her past teenage fantasies and presently unrealistic expectations of the community at large. Whilst she may benefit from a degree of psychoanalysis, she would have to be in a decidedly concerted position to do something with the related conjecture.

Psychology is even less concise. Mental illness is roughly defined as when common fantasies and delusions cause personal distress or especially, prohibit comfortable and interactive social functioning. Feeling down for extended periods alienates strangers, so Depression is a listed mental illness and whilst medication can’t do anything to bring back your dead son, it may intoxicate you just enough to forget for a minute whilst you’re buying some milk, without the mantle of a heroin addiction. Welcome to the world of anti-psychotics. Of course only a qualified medical professional can prescribe medication, though many GP’s (General Practitioners) work in conjunction with psychologists.

So our Buddhist friend who’s just experienced visions from the Astral Plane in the Catholic neighbourhood of Middletown is having a psychotic break and it might be best his contact with school age children be restricted. Be sure to investigate his influence among impressionable locals and offer philosophical alternatives to whatever dissidence he might be spreading. Hopefully he’s just a drug addict and we can all pull together to take a further stand against the terrible results of smoking marijuana. Otherwise, God forbid he may be an Islamic terrorist.

Now consider that indeed, our Buddhist’s unsubstantiated beliefs may begin to cause him personal distress and proximate social discomfort. Exactly like a psychosis. He can have this explained by medical professionals if he would like. Perhaps at the point he is no longer able to find gainful local employment.

I don’t know who said something along the lines of eccentricity being the luxury of wealthy psychotics, but an author prophetically mentioned it to me once, a little before a nervous breakdown I had.

Levelling theoretical astrophysics to martial arts in the same manner as ancient Greek and mediaeval Chinese scientific philosophy.
    In the vein of scientific evolution, let’s toss the elemental theories like yesterday’s dishwashing water. We now know there are hundreds of elements.

Following on from this, the divisibility of matter delves much further than a generalised elemental composition plus a chaos factor of spirits (or “intention” or quintessence or The Void), duality and a divine heavens. Well beyond such a contention, a subatomic realm has been identified with quantum mechanics as its key, as observed in nature and exampled by modern technologies.

So let’s take martial arts and throw in quantum physics for philosophy. This paper will largely deal with theory in what must be considered an outlandish hypothesis.

Let’s begin by calling a psychological being a nucleus and conscious thought the electron shell. Now we have an electromagnetic engine, the brain. According to quantum theory, pressures largely define how charged the nucleus is to become, therefore how much mass it will gather unto itself. This can be an inverse relationship (charge and mass are essentially the same thing and there are far more types of charge than simply ‘positive’ and ‘negative’).

Now the secret to quantum mechanics is that subatomic particles are constantly seeking a rest state, which is handy because it means they prefer to be stable and readily form physical matter. Otherwise the entire universe would never be anything but a series of gamma ray bursts. Unfortunately the closest any particle can get to a state of complete rest is in an artificially induced Bose-Einstein condensate. Nowhere in the entire universe is there such an absence of all forms of energy so as not to procreate some kind of activity, not even in intergalactic spatial voids (re: the CMBR).

So our electromagnetic engine, seeking the rest state of its components maintains a state of conscious excitement dictated largely by environment, whether introduced or simply experienced. Forcing it to gather mass generally requires immense pressures, and any attempt to bleed off mass will initially result in an unstable form, or a less restful state so also requires immense pressures.

At this point I encourage inquisitive readers to look up quantum mechanics (re: atomic energetic states) and nuclear synthesis at the wide variety of university and educational websites, such as the Hyperphysics website. Any number of science forums can direct you to particularly informative ones to suit your tastes.

Essentially the level of energy to be maintained in electron shells is dictated by the passage and release of incident photons, or the given medium of electromagnetic radiation: an intellectual social environment in this representation. Try examining the thick speech of an isolationist next time you’re wandering around the wilderness of Alaska or bayous of Redneckville, or just approach a group of strangers after a period of genuine isolation and try to have a conversation at the speed you recall being used to, and wonder why your mouth doesn’t seem to want to keep up with your thinking until you’ve at least spent a few hours just sitting in a comfortable setting with a quiet beer (or lemonade if you prefer, or a meal) and witnessing sentient interaction; readjusting. But it’s certainly not a case of slowed psychological process, since one’s instincts tend to become fine tuned, and reactionary speeds tend to increase, during for example a period of relatively isolated wilderness survival or extended pastimes of a similar nature, practicable military experience and the like.

Another exercise might be to find an inspired social setting which involves a personal interest. Let’s say you’ve a flair for military history and a friend of yours is a new recruit in the Army and takes you to a club, popular with his mates in the service to meet a few of them. Before long a number of you are in an excited conversation about the ballistics of a series of service rifles. Many people would find it a boring subject but you’ll be having the time of your life. In this example the incident photons would be the topic of conversation, as carried by the electromagnetism observed to radiate during the thinking processes of brains, coinciding with energetic electron shells containing your own inspiration to the subject. Soon enough, other unrelated electron shells you have absorb the energy quanta and join the higher brain functions. You are interactively inspired, your capacity for conversational wit increases, your ability to assert personality also.

In this hypothesis a martial application may lay within an awareness of the subatomic probability shells involved in brain function and their quantum interaction with our intellectual social environments. Remember that firstly and foremost it’s about survival of a given being, and which among us would consider social and economic, or even situational subsistence to have survived anything at all?

Nuclear pressures.
    Okay we’ve got a few physical laws of the unseen world to examine here. In areas of high gravitation, time runs more slowly. Also, mediums of high radiation tend to ionise atoms. Lastly, due to an exponentially differential series of established natural forces, highly populated areas of extreme gravitation cause nuclear synthesis. Ultimately it’s how we get black holes and neutron stars.

What is gravitation? In classical, Newtonian mechanics (or otherwise Euclidean coordinate systems and also by reckoning of ancient Greek philosophy), it is the quintessence, The Void, or the “intention” of any physical matter to find a state of rest in motion: an inherent natural velocity. That’s one way of looking at it. Valve based electronics was established under this foundation (with a little help from quantum mechanics), but it doesn’t work for digital technologies. The major problem is that it proposes Time as a universal constant, a separate entity or the name of God for wont of a better explanation, or in the ancient world the utterance of Creation.

So let’s leave religion behind and examine the predisposition of gravitation as Einstein and many others at the cutting edge of the 20th century saw it.

Think of a space between two points: a distance. Now let’s initially remove all physical objects, including atoms from within that space. We’ll make a perfect vacuum, so perfect in fact that all objects of reckoning no longer exist within it. We’ll call it a space outside of all other normal spaces. It has nothing. No light. No darkness. No sound. No silence. It is The Void. Well of course it doesn’t exist. I mean if it did, the correct definition of it would be that it doesn’t exist. Bear with me here.

Velocity (average) is technically Time over Distance (distance divided by travelling time). So if you removed everything from a space, including let’s say, Time itself, it would take no time to cross its borders. A physical velocity vector would take no time at all to cross to the other side. The space wouldn’t exist.

But in this hypothesis, we’re saying it does. Imagine a completely empty space in an area. You can measure it by its borders of what does exist, say solar systems bordering intergalactic space. People within those solar systems can say, well we know there’s a big empty space between our solar system and the next because we can observe it through telescopes and interferometry. Yet when we take off in a spaceship and travel between those solar systems it takes no time at all to cross that border. It exists, but it doesn’t. That’s one point. Space isn’t just space.

We’re going to rename our big empty space, Spacetime, to allow for the passage of Time within it. But we’re going to keep it abstract like that, we’re not going to say it runs at any particular rate, just that if you put an object in the space, time would pass. Now it is a physical space, crossing it would take a given amount of time. Measuring it by its borders isn’t just an optical illusion. It exists.

So what happens when you actually put an object in a big, completely empty physical space? It falls. Now, this is a problem, since there’s nowhere to fall to precisely, no centre of gravitation because we haven’t placed a force called gravity in our empty space and said, ‘everything must fall towards here.’ There’s a huge sinkhole, but one isn’t moving towards it, they’re actually inside it. Where do you fall to? Or another way of looking at it, high pressure (atoms held by molecular composition within the object) seeks low pressure (empty space) and thus escapes towards it (still bound together by subatomic forces). Objects in this almost perfect space fall everywhere at once.

Okay so now you’ve got a big empty space, with a falling object sitting motionless there in it. We can tell it’s motionless because time is passing and it just sits there. Our correct terminology is that an object is sitting in Spacetime. Let’s put another one there. Here’s where it gets tricky. The falling objects fall towards anything else that’s falling. Now this isn’t because they’re impressionable and like to follow the crowd, it’s because of time.

Time doesn’t pass for our space, it’s just a space. Time passes within it, but only for an object that’s within it. Our first object is in fact moving very quickly indeed, busily falling everywhere at once, or in other words simply being subject to the passage of time in an empty space.

Continuing to think of our space as a physical Spacetime, time passing for an object is a low pressure area compared to the surrounding uniformity. So it is for the second object, but by putting it there we now have separate low pressure areas for each to seek. By falling towards the lowest pressure area, once upon a time everywhere at once, they now fall inherently towards each other (in fact towards a common centre of mass, inducing an inertial rotation). After all there’s only an empty space between them. That is gravity, a function of spacetime geometry. The following paragraph is irrelevant to the topic at hand but provided because my little visualisation exercise here I made up on the way to work the other day, so is potentially controversial. That’s right, I’m worse than Doctor Dorian from Scrubs. No need to read it if you don’t want:

{Objects accelerate at a rate proportionate to the differential to uniformity with respect to the gravitational field. Velocities will be inherently radial of each point of mass as each falls towards another and thus around common centres (ie. inner Lagrangian points for each coordinates pair locating masses in 4th dimensional space and ruled by the Kepler-Newton law with the observations of complex systems devised by Einstein). These tendencies to acceleration, proportionate to radius simulate a curved spatial geometry with regards to the passage of inherently relativistic time (as governed by the general theory of relativity and dissatisfied by the inverse-square law of gravitation), so which all transposition such as the passage of light or massless particles must equally adhere and reference bodies will come to regard as conjunction to the gravitational field. And believe me it’s not nearly as hard to read as it is to write as I’m not describing math I’ve done, just trying not to contradict math others have done}

Unfortunately the rules change for individual subatomic particles, because they’re not actually physical objects but are more like trying to describe what moment in time for a piece of space looks like. They make up physical matter but are all about things like charge and spin and where the hell it disappears to every now and then. For example there’s a small chance whenever plotting an electron’s position that it will be inside the nucleus of the atom, and another that it will be upon the other side of the universe at the time, though it’ll be back in another moment. Funny, you’re made up of them you know. But you’re also a physical object, so are subject to physical laws like the one about gravity we just discussed. Pop you in space, you fall.

For further investigation to the workings of gravity, look up Kepler’s laws of planetary motion, Newton’s law of motion and the General Theory of Relativity.

An integral derivative of our conceptualisation of a physical spacetime is that no object within it is really stationary at all. No such thing if only because time passes for all objects in spacetime. Everything has a velocity. Objects will readily prove this by rotating proportionately to the differential along the radius, a function of passing time (irrespective of energy conservation which inherently seeks to balance the system). Describing the motion of any given object, or apparent lack thereof deals with its velocity vector. Comparing those deal with relative velocity vectors.

For example if you say one object looks stationary to you, predisposing that you are indeed another object in the environment, it is simply stationary relative to you. It has the same velocity vector as you (assuming a curved spacetime). If a third object goes whizzing by, it’s moving relative to your velocity vector, and that of the second object, which are identical. But to the third object, perhaps you two are whizzing by and it is stationary. Perhaps it started off life falling towards a given mass, like in a star’s orbit, and has never exerted thrust. And you started off exactly the same, yet your velocity vectors are different because you were falling towards two different stars. There’s really no reason why each of you wouldn’t consider yourselves stationary the whole time. Those forces your motion puts you at subject to would simply seem like universal constants, in a universe in which you are at the centre.

What we’re doing here is picturing a more accurate physical universe a little differently to the one assumed from Greek to Chinese and Newtonian theory. The one many civilised institutions simply have no reason to question, yet find unpredictable. Some even fear the empowerment of its understanding. Or simply cannot come to terms with it. The truth is my understanding of it is extremely rudimentary.

A martial application of relativity is an interesting contemplation. Once again with the cross application of physical laws to the human psychological experience of life, have you ever experienced a variation in the passage of time? Not just daydreaming a couple of hours away, but been in a car accident where it seemed the last few milliseconds went on forever? Been assaulted in a street mugging where it seemed you were two or three steps ahead of your assailant and had no end of additional options to exercise? Or, at the other end of the spectrum, been assaulted where your assailant seemed constantly on top of you, acting with lightning speed and giving no hope of effective responses (somewhat beyond the differential of muscular and tendon structure)?

When I get some money together I’m going to find a way to test this with laser interferometry. Turn biological and social sciences on its head, if I can get past the refraction by heat due to increased metabolic process as an alternative explanation.

Keeping in mind the original contention: that brains are ultimately made up of subatomic particles and there is no reason to think that physics should apply any less to sentient perceptions than any other realm of the physical universe, perhaps in some instances even more acutely: the passage of time is indeed not a constant. Its rate is affected by relative velocity vectors, including the acceleration of gravitational fields. This holds down to the subatomic level, the break down of radioactive materiel, the most accurate timekeeping device technologically available is affected by relativistic time effects. The satellites orbiting Earth and providing us with GPS navigation must be adjusted for a different rate of time in their atomic clocks, because their relative speed to us slows the rate of radioactive decay. A quartz digital would have even more complicated issues.

Now here’s where it gets exciting. Subatomic particles don’t act like physical matter. They’re not subject to classical physics, but some do have a radioactive half-life. A predictable passage of relativistic time, point one. They act like wave motion on a sea of who-knows-what, but a ray of light is said to travel from ‘point A’ to ‘point B’ and to help us apply other mathematics we say that photon particles actually travel this distance. They don’t. An electrical and magnetic field exists along the path you might regard as transverse, but it is more like a message being passed along than a teensy little spaceship travelling a distance. But the message is so powerful it can dislodge other particles at the destination: the electrostatic effect. String theory is in fact the preposition that all subatomic particles are just pieces of information, like little codes and what the codes translate to defines their properties. It is the same way signal tones were once used to hack telephone exchanges, sending strings of “information” and connecting to individual telephones around the world, completely bypassing exchange operators.

It’s funny, like a universe full of voices and as some gather together they become physical matter, but it gets told what it can do by the very nature of its composition.

So fast moving subatomic particles aren’t really a fast moving object per se, we don’t really know what they are (but can tell you a lot about them), yet they experience relativistic effects. Muon wavefunctions have been observed to do this. They have a tiny disposition of mass, but so do some particles which radiate from human brains.

2. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Masses.
    I’ve said it before to friends and relatives, something I noticed in the 70’s and subsequently. People thought it was some cute fantasizing: that futuristic world authors envision, screenwriters encapsulate and scientists and regular people alike speculate about, it’s already here. The ability for each person to have a spaceship sitting in their driveway and regular shifts on an orbital space station exists right now, has for a while. Conventional physics can get us to all the nearby star systems within a couple of hundred light-years, it’s just a matter of devising efficient and powerful enough conventional engines, it would be much harder if the math didn’t allow the possibility (some scientists seem to forget the Lorentz equation and claim that it doesn’t). Primarily, economies restrict technological availability, or in other words, politics. People have a common intellectual potential and restricting these to various degrees gives us our social classes and governing institutions. It’s nasty, brutal and most people don’t even realise it until well into adulthood, if at all. But it gives us social order and frees us from the burden of anarchy and free violence…also a majority (capitalist) population of incomes less than commonly available liberties and a minority less than reasonable. Qualified education is a subjective financial achievement, as are typical domestic authority and the predisposition to successful business. In fact the only political difference between late mediaeval (renaissance) hereditary aristocracies, economic ones and the ancient world are a series of terminology and who goes where, rather than any kind of political evolution or revolution. The fact that anybody can be elevated keeps it going in a modern world, rather than a fundamental change in social behaviour. Many people only think what others have said, daydream only about what others have done and establish this as their lifestyle, surprised and incapable when dealing with personal emotions and the demands of benevolent problem solving, unaware of plainly observable primordial tendencies easily associated with mundane violence, aggression and abuse.

Other elements of the social scale simply live within environments of violence and aggression as a medium of communication. The first thought of a stranger is their combative ability rather than personal character, or to whom they are politically disposed (if abstractly perceived) and then their combative ability. The ratio of financially available democratic liberties per capita is much lower than more forgiving social environments and general opportunism at all levels of social interaction are prevalent, though most capitalist sociology enjoys some degree of opportunism (I cannot speak for socialist environments in which I have not spent time, but would speculate opportunism is conversely thicker at the top than the bottom).

As mentioned earlier, atomic pressures can alter masses and also result in nuclear synthesis: nuclear fission and fusion. Often in prelude, energetic radiation ionises atoms.

Brain scans show various electromagnetic energy radiation, some associated with thinking processes and their ‘footprints’ are studied by psychiatrists to determine and treat behavioural tendencies and psychological disorders, or brain surgeons to treat some disabilities and certain physical disorders. The exclusion of quantum physics to sentient perceptions would seem an illogical one, especially since quantum mechanics is responsible for the behaviour of molecules (…is connected to the hip bone is connected to…).

Let’s take our electromagnetic engine, our atom or our brain (or a multiple heavy element intergalactic gas cloud if you like), and place it in the middle of a radiation field or in this representation a highly energetic intellectual environment. It’s not so difficult a comparison, thinking processes give off radiation, more processes mean more radiation of various energetic levels likely to be absorbed by electron probabilities in other brains. The brain is made up of molecules just like an interstellar gas cloud, which are made up of atoms and follow the quantum physics rules. As one preposition stated, I find it not unreasonable that a sapience derived of quantum mechanics would be acutely aware of its own fluctuations upon some or every level.

Basically, it’s infectious. Wavefunctions of the given energetic radiation excite the probability clouds of electrons a little more than they’re used to and some whiz off from their atoms, filled with relative energy (beta particles). The way I’ve represented things here, immediate conscious access to a given body of knowledge: an electron probability cloud is temporarily lost, not just uninspired although the body of knowledge itself would relate to the mass of the associated proton. Ionisation occurs, which leaves a cloud of charged nuclei just hanging about. Given my prepositions, this would relate to uncomfortable individual rest states or an inherently stressful environment (or in certain circumstances, inspired). Seeking stability these nuclei would also strive to regain electrons.

Think about it. You’re in an inner city slum with junkies and abusive criminals wandering the halls of the backpackers you’re living in, looking for fights, money and gratification victims. The government doesn’t want to recognise them and society at large wants them dealt with; out of sight and out of mind but also dealt with. They want you to just get up off your **** and get a job but the last reluctant employer you approached offered you not enough wages to even pay the rent, with employment duties you could take him to court for if you could afford a barrister. You begin to realise many of the people around you have simply adjusted to certain capitalist realities, associated with their histories of abuse and complete lack of any concerted, dedicated and democratic facilitation most family members enjoy. Most people around you have various anxiety disorders, many of those expressed in criminal, predominantly violent tendencies; others in ongoing, complete nervous breakdowns, or various complex disorders.

But this was the same civilisation you were aware of in your last residence, at a comfortable mid-suburban rental property in a comfortable neighbourhood. Sure you couldn’t find the roads to achieve what you wanted if you tried, but people walking around being generally polite to each other didn’t make it seem so bad. And there was always the chance you could write a successful screenplay, get a band together or just make enough educated friends to form a simple business from a common interest.

So let’s take two identical proximate environments: your bedroom. In one you’re relaxed and at ease. The other, quite apart from the surrounding aggressive environment is stressful and you just can’t seem to relax to quite the same degree. You have to embark breathing or mental exercises; many contemplative people in such places eventually become fundamentalist religious, some complaining about things like demonic possession. Why?

Maybe people just can’t escape the awareness of a surrounding social environment. So you can try relaxing watching a movie. Think about something else. Get fully immersed in a novel, or authoring one. Yet you still can’t seem to find the same state of relaxation as the peaceful social environment. So again, why? You are easily separated from this environment in your bedroom. Nobody’s going to jump out from the cupboard with a knife.

The subconscious won’t let you forget perhaps, but why? What is the subconscious? The very assertion is derived primarily of speculations by Freud and Jung, with some contemporary interpretation. Back in the days before quantum physics had evolved Freud thought of the brain as a battery or capacitor, Jung as an electrical circuit.

The subconscious would be those processes which we are commonly unaware of transpiring, which affect individual perceptions and conscious expression. No celebrated description of the mechanical process has ever really been given and insular sciences have evolved their study, based on conjecture and at times harsh experimentation providing insubstantial results. At the time of its birth Psychiatry was labelled “the religion of the 20th century” among contemporaries.

Maybe that’s not it at all. Perhaps you simply need to feel socially comfortable, if you could get along with those around you at least in some fashion, you’d feel more positive. Why?

Geneticists and palaeoanthropologists would say it is the frontal lobe of the brain, responsible for cognitive function. It’s particularly developed in modern humans and is the part of the brain which lends to inherent tendency towards social cooperation. But how does it work, biochemistry? Sounds a bit like quantum mechanics. A mistake would be considering the process a closed system when that would be physically impossible unless you took one person and dropped them in that non-existent Void I talked about earlier.

Ionisation is an effect shown in the radiation belts surrounding the Earth, originally created by the full spectrum of sunlight hitting molecules in the upper atmosphere. Clouds of ionised particles gathered between Earth’s magnetic fields subsequently filtered deadly cosmic rays (speeding subatomic particles, or charged stellar winds) and allowed familiar life to evolve below. At the poles, where the belts are much lower to the ground we can see the interaction between this stellar plasma and ionised particles in the form of the auroras. It would be a bad idea to hang around one in a high altitude balloon (spacecraft have shielding to protect from cosmic rays, but they are a constant concern particularly for manned interplanetary spaceflight).

Ionised particles routinely emanate from human brains, detected by medical instrumentation.

A less extreme version of the quantum mechanic, masers are interstellar clouds of molecules which become readily heated by a radiation field, in this case containing water molecules. These bounce around into other matter and release microwaves in a looping chain effect, thus amplifying the original radiation field in the microwave spectrum instead of visible light like the auroras or the gas mediums of lasers.

Within the breadth of my hypothesis, people aren’t exactly walking around shooting out bursts of gamma radiation from their heads every time they get a little stressed. But socially transverse wavefunctions can be amplified in sympathetic, coincidental or symbiotic environments: ideas, thoughts, perspectives and in other forms emotions. These relate to biochemical drives and electromagnetic balances. Remember that physics is just a very detailed description of perfectly mundane effects and an electron or a plasma is really nothing more spectacular than rubbing your hands together, molecular excitation no more than raising body temperature by a percentage of a degree and either contain distinct sensations.

Results of molecular excitation as opposed to ionisation would be less extreme to my way of thinking. Like comparing being distracted to bursting into tears and thinking, I’m not upset, what am I doing that for? It might also be like comparing feeling a little intimidated by someone bigger than you, with being unable to control your anxiety regarding someone half your size and physical experience, yet without a related trauma you can put your finger on. It’s the difference between influence and imbalance. In my representation derived from interactions between the magnetic fields and wavefunction associated with biochemical engines, or complex life.

Nuclear synthesis.
    Still dealing with electromagnetism and other wavefunctions as inherently involved with brain function and using the representation of nucleus and probability shells, let’s look at highly massed environments of severe intellectual and emotional pressures. This idea came to me living for several years in a markedly violent social environment.

Bob the atom has become ionised by a high radiation environment. It’s not that big a deal, he’s just become a little emotionally charged for reasons he can’t explain and can’t seem to remember his 7x tables on demand, odd since it was one capability he was previously noted for. Most people would say he’s a little depressed, seems to have a few problems but he’ll be okay. But he’s not only living in a highly charged environment, it’s an impoverished, criminal and tightly packed one, a commission flat at an inner city suburb. People there have several reasons to be pretty angry, but are told they have no cause to take it out on anybody. They do whatever is left to immediately improve their lives. They also express a lot of frustration, which causes a lot of frustration.

Particularly common observations might gather tremendous mass as independent bodies of knowledge between the individual components, or atoms. Say the social group was under the dictatorship of the Khmer Rouge, they might build a latent hatred of certain policies of the Khmer Rouge, say racism. They may despise the subject of racism charges wherever one appears, landing the accused with all the momentum of their own concerns, at the very suggestion whether or not it is in fact proved.

Bob moves in and first some people want to see if he’s a racist. Others just want to know if he might have anything they could want or use. He just goes about his business but eventually concentrates all his attention on the proximate social issues. Figuring them out in short order the associated probability shell becomes overwhelmed by social need and absorbs enough radiation to spin off on its own. A conspiratorial way of looking at it, with a cynical conclusion would be to say the locals harassed him into figuring out a solution for them but instead gaining useful results, they simply gained another potential member of their hopeless and desperate community. Bob now has a net positive charge and requires another electron cloud for balance. He will however readily combine into a molecule, say a ridiculous cult that nevertheless shares an ideal or electrons. Regular women will find him needy and possibly emasculated, social predators and lonely homosexuals might think him a mundanely available opportunity, but buried deep he still has the personality and mind that he always had.

More conspiratorially, say a local criminal group decides to stalk him. They move into surrounding rooms and harass him every chance they get. The idea is to place pressure and never let up. Let’s say an institution also decides to place pressure on that entire community, attempting to dislodge them from the area which council members wish to turn into a tourist destination. The only respite is the anonymity of public places, where the pressure of constant observation and solicited interaction exists. At night his bed in the commission flat lay at most a few feet from those of typically stressed residents all around. The sheer mass of detrimental ideals, ideology and intention is oppressive, represented by massed wavefunctions exerting inherent gravitation, or escaping through any sinkhole they can find.

Let’s say Bob seeks an escape, finds a new cause and reorientates his whole perspective to suit. Necessarily it would be one which deals with the surrounding environment or circumstances. He’s undergone nuclear synthesis, recombined within the medium to form another atom of increased mass. He may have become a political extremist, criminal or a religious fundamentalist. Energy is released during this fusion, in the form of an epiphany or religious experience, he’ll be high for a few days whilst it radiates. Maybe he’ll experience short term hallucinations or visions; he might come out of it with a psychosis or psychological disorder as he tries to re-establish a memory of himself yet can’t seem to simply leap his way there.

Bob doesn’t have to go with it. He can just sit there or even fight it. If any relation to nuclear physics the results would be inexorable. Let’s say he fought by retaining a consistent, conscious knowledge of himself, maintaining his persona and translating all direct influences to existential consideration, sorting them intellectually, fighting oppressive politics with sheer force of will. Bob’s a smart guy, enjoying the full extent of the electromagnetic force to overcome nuclear recombination. But a large, charged (differential) mass with its inherent radiation field left to its own devices is going to exponentially get hot and pressurised enough to fuse elements within it, this happens just by it being there. Until it exhausts its fuel and starts collapsing on its components, he won’t even be making a dent.

Astrophysics in direct martial application.
    You’re at the ATM withdrawing money and a guy who had been walking with friends approaches you with increasing determination from an angle behind. You are so certain you’re being attacked the back of your knee has already started twitching; it’s more like something you notice than any conscious consideration.

Well according to quantum mechanics you’re already trading blows. The trick is going to be in keeping you and your head together and listening to what it wants you to do, making conscious decisions as you go.

We’re going to regard the full breadth of sapience here, it’s available and should be utilised. For the purposes of explanation I’ll have to break it down for the hypothesis (this paper in its entirety cannot be considered a thesis because I’ve failed to provide testable results from experimentation or corroborative observations in nature, just speculation and representational cross referencing).

Consider yourself a witness, a participant and part of the environment. Anyone can simultaneously entertain these three perspectives, it’s easy. You’re a witness because your senses perceive, you’re a participant because you choose to act and you’re a part of the environment because your existential mind will be playing catch up from here on in. Try to be in those three places at once, as completely as you can, commit yourself to it. If done well your typical personality and not primordial reaction will shine through and do so avoiding all presentations of danger. That means avoiding shock, fear, impatience and simply bad decisions for your safety. You’re dependent upon good instantaneous decisions here, upon being yourself. This is not what happens being passive.

The first thing to have occurred was the excitation of intellectual probability shells by incident photons associated with a criminal intention in motion. This caused you to become aware of the situation, it also brought with it knowledge of multiple assailants, due to the degree of energetic incidence: disproportionately relaxed so long as you keep your attention on the immediate assailant and retain only a knowledge of his friends. I’ll measure it like this: kind of a, “Oh here we go,” rather than a, “Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap.”

Essentially the effect commonly celebrated as adrenalin-based began before it was physically possible for your senses to witness the unfolding proceedings (I find it rather odd the biological sciences community believe a reaction to be the root of activity and term all prior events as ‘subconscious interpretation of sensory organs’ since it ignores the very quantum mechanics upon which all hard sciences are presently based), it has been my consistent experience danger is felt noticeably sooner than being available to the senses, if at all. Some have built religious philosophies over the years about avoiding danger at great distances and in massed, excited social environments. And if something occurs to be experienced, there’s a mechanic to it and ultimately, it’s going to come down to quantum mechanics. A bouncing tennis ball does so because of the electrostatic repulsion between its atoms and the bitumen’s (plus another bunch of math for height of the bounce, etc.). Sunlight doesn’t fry you like an egg because of quantum interactions between it and the atmosphere on the way down here. All the free particles streaming about space don’t burst your cells apart because of the quantum nature of magnetic fields produced by planetary core activity. Microwave ovens heat food because of quantum mechanics and x-rays show broken bones for the same reason. And MRI machines detect electromagnetic and other subatomic activity emanating from the brain once again, because of quantum mechanics. Radiation therapy for cancer works because of quantum mechanics. So why would one assume a frantic intellectual process be caused by adrenalin, instead of the other way around? After all, it is the ‘subconscious’ which presumably drives the adrenalin surge, in this light the statement would appear contradictory the moment one considers this ‘subconscious’ may not in fact exist as a separate, insular entity in the first place. The suggestion states that another brain you have somewhere (perhaps in your foot) causes an adrenalin surge, which in turn causes the brain you are familiar with to freak out. Seems a little inefficient of a biological engine otherwise extremely conservative in all other respects, out of sheer necessity and totally ignores a symbiotic quantum world. Perhaps the implications of a logically quantum sapience are too great for contemporary politics? You reading this and thinking, “Uh-huh, hmmm, maybe, oh yeah, oh I’m not sure, dunno about that,” is what…biochemistry? Well then the right drug combinations should fill you with intimate knowledge of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, qualified opinions about politics and mathematical genius in a closed environment.

During the conflict example, maintaining the state of quantum incidence would translate to the water element of philosophical Budo Taijutsu. You’re being sympathetic to the intentions of your attacker, which can work for you if you can exercise tactical superiority. Many familiar skills of biomechanics taught in dojos can help you do this, from damaging and debilitative strikes and manoeuvres to superior positioning and motion. Be aware that more than muscle and mechanical strength is involved in an inspired conflict, but certain physical rules like the inverse relationship between speed and commitment of mass also exist (inertia and acceleration, but also effective positioning). Useful in the sense that most blows not fully committed or rushed can be easily absorbed and those which aren’t offer opportunities to level superior mechanics. It should be easier to move in tune with your attacker’s motion due to symbiotic conscious energy states (though yours is presently induced) but you may also be subject to psychology, such as intimidation techniques he is specifically more familiar with because of it. Generally you should be concentrating on overall strategies such as attracting the attention of helpful bystanders; most attackers will tend towards drawing out conflict with individuals capable of matching their movements instinctively and this may not be productive for criminals in public environments. If there are shops and traffic nearby you’ll probably find the matter doesn’t extend much further.

Another possibility is his friends jump in for a potentially fatal bashing. Remaining totally defensive breaks down at this point, unless you’ve disabled and possibly maimed the initial attacker and receive others with genuine commitment (in which case you can keep part of the incident photon and use the extra quanta, perhaps expressing intimidation techniques of your own with a melancholy, using drive and intention of the initial attacker against his friends from a third person perspective of yourself). Be careful you don’t lose your head in role playing when dealing with danger though, hence the importance of being completely present in all inherent physical perspectives. You’ll lose access to ‘nucleic mass’ for commitment and an accurate map of the mundane environment, being forced to immediately throw yourself onto primordial tendencies and hope for the best if they’re not dissuaded.

Say your first guy is still feeling out your defences, you repeatedly attempting to draw out a commitment when his mates rush over from your other side. You’re really going to have to let the level you were dealing with the first guy, go to get a clear head in the new immediate circumstance. It’ll seem as a momentary intellectual relaxation, perceived as an assertive readjustment by those approaching.

Once again, remaining totally defensive breaks down with multiple immediate attackers in a serious conflict. I have not found any manner to prevent an overwhelming of intellectual process by a blatantly superior force as three minds. I’ve not found the same with an obviously more physically equipped single attacker, even though of course understanding I was completely outmatched. There’s just something about more than one head, more than one intellectual process facing you that turns the whole thing into an impossible mine field of negotiation to assert any personality, including an effective will to completely survive. It’s just…exhaustive to keep a proper handle on directing nature as it were. As if you’re putting out far more intellectually than you can reabsorb, each moment. And once again, primordial reliance is like tossing dice: use only as a last resort and assume you won’t be walking away. It’s all intellectual delusion and reactive predictability, things with tiny brains can do it very well and get hunted to extinction by simple thinking parties.

Exchanging blows.
    It’s funny, the very thing which I term Bujinkan Kobudo (due to overall perspective), variously Bujinkan Togakure and Budo Taijutsu, the various traditions practised by Takamatsu sensei and under the breadth of the current Hatsumi soke, claimed to transcend begins with practising. Exchanging blows with commonly more physically equipped attackers. It’s like an organisation which sets to distract practitioners whilst improving their perspectives over time. This is in part performed with simple physical familiarity, in part a camaraderie between inherently peaceful individuals who just don’t want to walk around and get beaten up simply because someone nasty decided to do it to them, as some humans are perfectly willing to do. People who don’t hassle anyone end up maimed and otherwise victimised like that. Unfortunately this social statement is that contemporary politics critically requires address.

Martial arts can offer a flipside that comfortable practitioners may decide all humans comprise competitive societies and it is the responsibility of victims to degenerate accordingly. Conversely their responsibilities may be to proactively improve communities using all available means as contemporary honourable beings.

Don’t kid yourself: there’s no one better way to bash someone’s skull in than any other. Victim or assailant, a man with a bashed skull lies at the feet of another man (or woman). It is a terrible implication and not just because one man attacked another (or woman).

Opportunism generally evolves when there’s little a defensive party can do about it. Even intensely aggressive individuals are more likely to pick their moments well before fully committing to serious physical threat. The most self destructive personalities still react to their own pause and fears, perhaps in a sense they are even more fearful than the rest of us. In other words the most likely time for anyone to face a genuine circumstance of physical self defence is when for one reason or another there’s little they can physically do about it. Hard to avoid no matter what your martial skills are.

Most self defence training concentrates upon attackers making a fatal mistake, like poorly choosing their moments if driven to crime. Or acting aggressively without due consideration. That’s common enough, but contains little genuine commitment in terms of battlefield combat (though it can escalate).

Serious criminals attack in numbers, most commonly armed and overwhelm opponents quickly and automatically. If a knife might be required to achieve a malicious objective, they’ll take a gang of bodybuilders and a machine gun to deal with it. A good takedown technique doesn’t really help you here, but it might help you antagonise one into reacting like this in the first place. Ultimately your best weapon is going to be law and politics.

But let’s talk about insular combat and physical mechanics. I, in no way challenge any establishments of physical mechanics in Budo Taijutsu nor any other martial art. Kung fu works. Karate and Tae Kwon Do works. Picking up a lump of wood for the first time, in your first contemplation of conflict; works.

I like Togakure postures myself. So we’ve got our Togakure practitioner in a reflexive posture in motion, receiving an assailant. Motion at this point is only in centre of masses, but a punch to the face is on its way to you, the intention of the attacker to strike is everywhere and in everything. Angling and weight distribution are instinctive and effective, hands and arms are available but uncommitted at this stage. Legs and body are active and amorphous, head is present and available. Natural weapons abound. Familiarity is prevalent.

This particular martial art is entirely too improvisational to describe any static technique to dealing with impending attack. If anything its training is to establish increasing spans of improvisational options instinctively and immediately, to deal with physical threats though in some elements its deals with general postures, available movements and positioning. I’m dealing with basic postulates.

I’m going to use a Wind element here, as the punch comes a basic sidestep (angling), with a rotation beginning along the length of the spine and expressed with vital intentions through physical mechanics: arms, legs, shifting weight, enemy skeletal structure and lastly nervous system as part of the takedown. Done well you’ve got a moving-rotating deflection/bone lock/takedown and a bit of ouch. You could spend days breaking down every little hip nudge and knee adjustment or ‘three hands approach’ during the relatively short lived event.

If things didn’t evolve as expected you had the immediate option of switching postures mid way through proceedings (shizen to knock him aside, ichimonji to break away, etc.). Giving him this information is going to make things increasingly difficult for you subsequently, one should be aware. Surprise is an excellent tool; it may give the impression of foreign abilities.

Let’s look at it a little less competitively and with quantum mechanics. What would we do, or more to the point, how angry are you? Are you a nice guy? What’s going on around you? The punch comes, so what? Walk away. You’ve got a stinging face, so walk away with a stinging face. A punch comes, you bat it away. Walk away. This guy won’t let you walk away? That’s really not your problem, it’s his. Getting high off his own sense of gratification, his intention turns to a flurry of punches followed by kicks. You turn reflexively, shoulders haunch, legs bend, it’s just instinctive, passive motion to deflect a lot of energy, but now your ear stings and shins are bruised, your face is hot and although you’re sure he damaged his hand doing it, your skull really aches. This is really getting counterproductive, I dunno about you but I’d be getting pretty fed up about here. You’re already beaten up but trust me, real fighting hasn’t even started yet.

Another punch comes with increasing commitment, and he’s genuinely riding off your emotions and experience of the situation by this point. Now we’re finally in business.

Grab his head and crack it on a hard object once, stripped to an observant and original being the mechanics are more than instinctive well by now. This is his final warning.

Now walk away.

3. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Situational options.
    According to the elemental nature of Budo Taijutsu you don’t have to respond defensively: there’s more than one way to skin a rabbit. A greater wealth of experience or knowledge base would represent a greater ‘nuclear mass’ and according to quantum physics, if two objects radiate within gravitational influence the heavier one wins. In the first example, you can overwhelm the initial attacker in the fire element, using extreme concentrated intentions and then turn on his friends, there’s probably not going to be much of a gap between the two events.

It’s funny the way the heavier object wins. The smaller one has sharper tidal gravity, so once atmosphere is drawn to the Roche Lobe threshold of the larger, it sucks materiel at a tremendous velocity. The sudden increase in mass simulates a nuclear collapse, though it would think it’s simply igniting its glory. Interactions involving the weak nuclear force are also involved here (though I’m describing fusion and massive interactions as a catalyst). All sorts of particles are accelerated and released with radiation spinning off everywhere (mostly polar actually, with lateral occultation…another important quality I’ll deal with later when we get to kuji no ho). Sorry to abstract it, trying to keep to the subject. Look up Lagrangian Points, Beta-Lyrae binaries and accretion discs; I’m dealing with stellar interactions as based on quantum physics here.

You may have noticed I’ve changed representations to a much larger scale. In this hypothesis we have luminous, massive objects dealing with each other. The attackers are probably degenerate materiel. This is because when little stars go near big stars they lose their atmospheres to the greater mass (knowledge base). Inherent collapse causes a degenerate state, but now they’re just a concentrated mass with little left to give. They reabsorb atmosphere back from the larger, but all it can do is stimulate further collapse with an initial flare of nuclear ignition. It’s a bit like when some people say, when you know you’re wrong, you know you’re wrong and it’s difficult to be inspired being wrong, much better when you know you’re right (but that doesn’t always make it easy).

Our Togakure practitioner turns from the ATM and establishes that he is indeed being mugged. He asks the approaching suspect, “Are you going to mug me?”

The man responds to the amusement of his nearby friends, “Hand over the money.”

Unfortunately it’s needed to buy your mother an operation for cancer treatment. Your assailant is continuing his advance on your position and you step into a fire element, leaping and shuffling forwards, using one possible expression of the jumonji posture to dislodge his upper body and perform a damaging takedown and devastating stomp, incoming blows are deflected, avoided or punished along the way and you turn to receive his suddenly approaching friends, sheer intention playing about your face and body language. Once again this is a totally subjective example of an amorphous combat style, it is most likely at the very least one or more other elemental aspects will be exercised during the evolution of events, which could be explained in far better detail and I hereby make claim to no qualifications with Togakure traditions or any other martial art, of any kind. My descriptions are for the purpose of example.

Let’s say a passive observation of Togakure would not have you responding this way unless you really felt the anger. It’s going to be a pretty intimidating approach and a pretty conclusive ending. You may dissuade the other attackers, unless seriously competitive or overconfident I’d say you probably would. Plus I’m keeping a curt example with a complicated threat value.

Now we’ll use quantum mechanics, not that this wouldn’t mirror the routine of say, Togakure technique but it’s all about how you explain it to get the full benefits. It’s a pause at the start to establish an intellectual position. You take the incident photon of the attack and immediately release it. A simple breath will do it, a consciously aware breath. Once again this in part should be used to affirm multiple inherent perspectives. The first thing you’re going to notice is the prevalence of the attacker’s friends, allowing your mind to seek an intellectual rest state with current circumstances is going to bring them to the forefront of consideration. Watch you don’t get lost on this.

Energetic state is going to come from your own force of will this time. You can think of it as gravitational mass associated with the environment causing internal collapse and nuclear fusion at the very heart of you. It’s all you are, collapsing in on itself to produce an energetic result. Advance on your immediate attacker but allow yourself to ‘radiate’ with self awareness and willpower. Done properly you should still have an internal map of the changing environment and a sensory perspective as well as being a body in motion at the least. Not that practised breathing exercises taught in many martial arts can’t give a similar result.

Be conscious of the Lagrangian point of equilibrium between you, and your Roche Lobe. This is a space surrounding binary masses which looks like a big figure of eight drawn around them both. In my overall hypothesis, in an unseen quantum world of gravitational masses and subatomic interactions, one which string theorists establish exists but directly affects only the quantum world. I say, but with it, human perceptions and ultimately certain biophysical realities.

What I’m saying for this situation is, your conscious and biochemical being and his have a point of equilibrium between them. Under the current circumstances they’re going to act like masses, just like wavefunctions like to sometimes act like particles…extrapolated. I’m calling the extension of overwhelming conscious influence atmospheres: a physical space beyond the nucleus into which the object nevertheless extends, it follows all the rules of a plasma. Conscious thought is still the electromagnetic force in the form of electron probabilities and various quantum interactions, presently mostly governed by the weak nuclear force or particle degeneration and energetic release.

Simplified, think of two gravitational objects orbiting each other in space, say the Earth and the Moon, there’s a spot between them where the gravity of one is equal to the gravity of the other: put a rock there and it just sits there. Move it to either side and it falls back to mama.

Be aware of that point in the realm of extended conscious influence between you and the other guy. Don’t go near it. We’re going to use it instead. Generally it’s a few feet away, a little closer to this assailant than you because I don’t know, you’ve got a Masters in flower arranging and he’s still trying to get over puberty.

But you do want to establish an interaction, so, nuclear fires raging, just advance to the point where you can sense an equilibrium, closer or further away you start to feel weird in some small place somewhere that you’re aware of. Let him step in, and you’re going to feel a sense of his influence, a moment of self doubt if you like. That’s his gravitational absorption of your atmosphere and he’s going to attempt to ride it. A concentrated shout will give him a reactionary pause or just step back and give him another moment to think about it. Remain conscious of yourself and your aspect, his secondary response should be fear. Keep the distance you know you are clear headed within, despite any anger. You can keep any number of people occupied like this, though it’s all purely psychological. At some point somebody might get fed up about that fact and leap in. That’s irrelevant just now.

An attacker at this time might give a series of expletives or other vocal expressions, designed to dislodge or intimidate you, or inspire himself. Dart in under his self-distraction. Let’s say he sucks it up and attacks instead. If you sense it a good moment, go for it. I’m suggesting that by establishing existential ‘Roche Lobes’ and ‘Lagrangian points’ with an assailant, in the fire element of Budo Taijutsu or any similar martial representation you’ll have an additional benefit of psychological superiority, a very powerful and perfectly physical addition to the defensive toolbox.

But I shouldn’t think many people don’t do what I’ve tried to approach and hypothesise examining here, instinctively. I just think consciously knowing what you’re doing adds choices to the mix. Knowing some kind of working mechanics adds reproduction of lucky encounters, and there you go already steering natural forces quite beyond physical conflict itself.

Besides, what I’ve been postulating here is easily as fantastic as any mediaeval occultism or philosophical science of the ancient world. It’s just theoretically at least, more plausible than magic fingers, energies nobody cares to offer any mechanical explanation for and physical theories conclusively shown by nature and technological example to be in resounding error from premise to implication. My most controversial element is that I’ve scooped up the mental health institution amongst it all, which I maintain is far more political than medical, quite simply but not only because a given political devotion of free choice is identical in all respects to a mental illness in the wrong company (directly suggesting the premise is in error); a complete disregard of universal scientific establishment, like about a hundred years of evolution would be another point. And I’ve watched psychiatrists send dangerous stalkers out the door with a bottle of pills and a pat on the back, and lock up abused teenagers during employment, it challenges one’s sense of confidence in their schooling. I just, personally trust a scientific devotion that can put a paperclip on the surface of the Moon if they feel like it and well, let’s face it the most significant example of martial arts this planet has ever seen was blowing up Hiroshima. Show me the defensive technique I should learn for that.

Ninja magic and science.
    Kuji no ho steps well and truly into the boundaries of occultism. Let’s be clear about just what that word means. When light from a distant star is blocked by another body, it is said to be in occultation. Hayes himself mentioned the plain intention of Ninpo to utilise superstitious tendencies as a further tool of self protection. Many ancient technologies of associated traditions used intentionally misleading titles and descriptions in order to maintain their situational value and restrict common knowledge of them.

An example of occultism is to influence a party such that a blue sky is called black, to derive a predictable response in a given circumstance yet to be encountered. More than simple subterfuge and illusion, one can affect an individual’s entire state of mind and breadth of perception by introducing an established delusion of which they are completely unaware.

A more passive example would be Hayes’ relation of historical phobia battlefield Samurai may have held to contracting illnesses like tetanus, giving tiny (rusted) shuriken great intimidation value when let’s face it, a nice rock does more physical damage, is generally more accurate, easier to find and is shade harder to bat aside. Ever been hit in the head by a cricket ball? Takes a long while to get up again and will put a veritable gorilla on his back, but people have walked around with screwdrivers sticking out of their heads in workplace accidents and it’s not even passionate combat.

Defeating an armed Samurai in mediaeval Japan with a handful of tin pieces is definitely as impressive as shooting lightning bolts out your fingers, in fact, what’s the difference? Welcome to another example of occultism.

Twisting fingers in complex incantations in no way suggests any quantum interaction…unless it’s the distraction. A highly intimidated ninja might suggest what he’d like to happen and then spring into action against an opponent. Let’s say you just got cornered by Mike Tyson and well, he wants to put the hurt on. I’m intimidated just thinking about it, personally.

Firstly, I need my hands in front of me…but I definitely don’t want him to know that. Secondly I’m going to need more genuine determination than I could possibly muster whilst I’m thinking about getting my face mashed in the first hit, probably killed in the second and that’s about when I’d probably have time to react. Just letting my eyes perceive what’s standing in front of me lets me know it. I have a set of finger patterns for a series of visualisations and contemplations used for psychological device, involving associated incantations. Essentially I’m distracting myself from the overwhelming nature of the problem at hand, but to a given psychological result, which is quite nice. I feel better already. As a combined tactical move I explain to Mike’s foot that it’s going to slip and twist his ankle. I’ll mention this a few times until I’m really feeling like I’m back in the game.

When things get nasty, I’ll do the best I can, hopefully I’ll survive. There’s a chance Mike will be concerned about his foot, or that you’ll be targeting his foot, or that he’s just confused by whatever the hell it was you were just doing…and his foot, or intimidated by the fact you’re obviously completely insane and twist his foot. There’s a chance you’ll be able to perform at your absolute best without feeling overwhelmed by the nature of the situation, it’s really necessary. You probably won’t get anywhere with the foot thing.

Quantum physics as expressed earlier in the psychological transposition, would suggest you’ll do far better in this fashion of occultism than you would by just relying on physical technique no matter how potentially effective, and there might be an opportunity just before you die of terrible internal injuries to stick a finger so far into his eye socket that you remove the organ and snap it away with you. There is a chance anybody could win, there always is. Good self defence would ultimately be little more than doing everything reasonably and humanly possible to increase those chances in your favour, however unlikely. What choice do you have?

But because we do live in human societies it also deals with the observation one does not survive a criminal circumstance by becoming equally criminal as a new philosophy. You keep your head the person you were.

Can you make a thunderstorm with kuji? Nope. Attract a lightning bolt from an existing one? Probably, but are you that suicidal? Talk to a dolphin? Easy. Make a plant grow? Perfectly feasible, but these things you could probably do without the ceremony of spell casting (and the dolphin might not think you’re an idiot). Change the course of a river? You might want to get a little more pragmatic about that one, try a shovel.

You could conceivably, due to the implication of quantum interactions move out of an area a week before an earthquake hits. You could accurately depict the memories of an ancestor or the perceptions of anyone else at all. You could feel a twitch right where your sibling just got injured, or in fact anyone else at all. You might be able to tell us what a friend on the other side of the world is eating for breakfast (an email is easier). Due to the tremendous complexity of these coincidences, it would be far easier to achieve them from a disjointed state associated with intoxication or delusion; hence their inherent link to the occult. The reason would be that you’re dealing with very small chances of perception, though perhaps outlandishly, theoretically possible, so less distraction like all the normal ones of normal thinking and environments, a wow state of being where everything is wow and enhanced, helps swing those chances your way, should they in fact exist. Perhaps this is why occultists of all epochs and denominations have been involved with intoxicants and hallucinogens yet were nevertheless reportedly celebrated for results among a wide variety of cultures, residing at the very pinnacle of domestic authority for some (Egyptian, Celtic, Hindu, etc.).

Let me explain the established precipice of chaos theory in astrophysics. It arose via the astonishing and often exponential complexity in generating mathematical models for the solar system which would accurately predict planetary positions and characteristics. Quite simply a limitless series of variations would throw the entire model off on a completely alternate course time and time again. It was decided that the evolution of a complex system was so inherently diverse as to be unpredictable even where the extent of mechanics involved are finite and known. As far as models for planetary positions go, only short term predictions can be made with any surety, as Uranus say, could have a completely different orbit in a thousand years to which there is presently no identifiable hint to, even though the catalyst would necessarily be quite present and observable (there is in fact a perturbation in Uranus’ orbit which is completely unaccounted for at this time, an example of chaos theory in action, it’s different to the one caused by Neptune and Pluto is too small to cause it, though it was the reason Pluto was discovered in the first place, there is no reason for it to be there and nothing whatsoever could have caused it short of a really big, I mean pretty damn big, invisible planet floating around out near Pluto somewhere, though could be a teensy degenerate object which presents some very serious problems of its own like the inherent potential to wipe out life on Earth…or it might be nothing).

The most popular expression of chaos theory is the beating of a butterfly’s wings causing a tornado on the far side of the Earth (the butterfly effect). If that were the case, and indeed it may be (it’s about as likely as me turning into an acorn), mapping it is one thing but predicting it entirely another. That doesn’t mean you can’t be a part of this existing and finite mechanic, and certainly we already are. So there’s no reason you can’t be aware of it, specifically, and move in tune with it, where concerted. But I wouldn’t go spending next week’s lotto winnings just yet.

Because of chaos theory, the current accurate and corroborative theory for the evolution of a primordial universe, life on Earth and human existence is, “Complex evolutionary diversity.” It was bound to happen, but predicting every possible variation of events and any possible future would be exhaustive to say the least.

Hayes also mentioned that descriptions of supernatural events were in fact mundane events from another perspective (variously fictional, delusional, inaccurate and poorly expressed). Comets were once thought to be dangerous omens due to an inaccurate scientific premise. The presumption was, in a divine and unchanging heavens as dictated by Papal acceptance of certain ancient Greek philosophies, cometary bodies had to be within the upper atmosphere of Earth. It seemed logical that if such a tremendous event as a comet was meteorological then it must’ve been caused by a great disaster somewhere on the planet and we’re probably going to feel the effects of it sometime soon. Most of the time that would be never, but you could always burn a witch or two if you’re an avid church-goer.

The Bermuda Triangle is an excellent example of explaining mundane events supernaturally and a great exercise for investigative mythbusting due to its popularity. Ufology is another excellent example of modern superstition, the very term and its mantle are mutually exclusive (nowhere does unidentified mean extra-terrestrial). Parapsychology as a title at least makes suggestion of a field of study adjacent to human psychology, but out and out ghost hunters are hardly involved in providing corroborative scientific explanation of the mechanics involved. Not that psychologists even attempt to, either and psychoanalysts tend to be a little short on the corroborative side. I wouldn’t place overwhelming stock in what any of them had to say about the ghost in your house (and an occultist I’d genuinely pity).

But let’s take an alternative spin on Hayes’ statement; ready to hypothetically practise some occult? I like to call this dog training. Don’t actually do this.

Get your pet dog, bring him inside and sit him next to the couch. Scream every time a car drives past. Keep it up for say…a month. Six months later have a laugh with your mates over a beer about the dog’s reaction every time a car drives past. Throw in enough abuse and you might get a reaction just by visualising a car driving past for the dog. The poor animal will think it’s possessed by demons and your mates will think it’s magic.

This is why nobody ever liked occultists much.

A good source of authority seeks to clarify rather than mystify no matter what the intentions. Generally the reason any kind of authority on a given subject steadfastly refuses to at least avidly speculate upon the way something works is because they don’t know, which places students in the interesting position of standing quite a bit further ahead to start with.

Let’s take a motor mechanic, and his apprentice is also an engineering student. The mechanic is experienced sure, and plays the part so well any parent would feel confident leaving their car with him and paying dollars for repairs. Left in the workshop alone for the weekend the apprentice puts together a jet engine from an old heater and a few bits of tape (real Mc Guyver stuff). Now the mechanic can show the young feller a few tricks you can only pick up from hard earned experience, save a lot of time and point in a lot of directions one might not normally consider no matter how imaginative. But little more than could’ve been read in a book, let’s face it. Meanwhile the kid can supercharge the latest model Porsche with a good think, a specification sheet and a calculator, and your mechanic is likely to blow it up trying to improvise something that should’ve worked, or actually reduce outputs being too conservative about trying new things and too reluctant about soundly theorising them. A smart mechanic’s going to put the kid in charge of the workshop right after that first weekend and pay an appropriate wage without request. Life just got a whole lot easier.

A primordial and unfortunately typical response would be to bully the kid to establish dominance and pay the minimum legal wage with maximum possible employment duties. This is a very popular form of occultism. The mechanic lives an improved quality of life through sheer capitalism, and is received as a successful businessman. In effect, he steals the due lifestyle of the apprentice, just like magic. Perhaps once, somebody did the same thing to him.

For the record, if any kind of instructor cannot find the heart to be communicable and reasonable with their students it may be time to consider that environment more objectively. Legal advice is always an excellent alternative to authoritarian behaviour and can put things in perspective, most commonly to simply leave for somewhere more appropriate.

4. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

You've been reading way too much Hayes! :D :D

You might want to look at this:

and

The elemental feeling is something Mr Hayes developed, it's not part of the Bujinkan as taught in Japan, yes there may be the odd instrutcor knocking around in the west teaching it due to Mr Hayes infleunce but it is not part of the Bujinkan.

I haven't gone through all of what you've written but going on the above you may want to at least change the language. Saying that the elemental stuff is in Bujinakn Budo Taijutsu is misleading. Also if you were off about that then you may have some misconceptions about other areas.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007