SCI FI

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by zombiekicker, Aug 15, 2013.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Babylon 5- I think J. Michael Straczynsky wrote a really good story. Watch the evolution of the characters Londo and G'Kar, and their relationship. Not bad space-physics, either.

Firefly- I discovered it after I watched "Serenity". Listening to the cast talk about the episodes they wanted to do actually made me very sad. Great, great show (atmosphere, writing, acting).

Space: Above and Beyond- I liked that it was a story from the grunts' point of view and thought it was interesting that a "united Earth" still had multiple nations that had to be coordinated (alluded to but never really explored).

Star Trek- I am committed to the franchise. I liked TNG, but thought DS9 was superior in the issues it addressed. TOS (The Original Series) is campy at times, but they also tackled some serious issues back in the day. Voyager and Enterprise had their moments, though on the whole the franchise kept losing its intellectual bent.

Time Trax/Superforce- Shows about future cops with future tech. "Trax" became very formulaic after a while, but I was sad it wasn't given a proper send-off. SF showed the near future- or rather, what I'm pretty sure is the current present- as being mildly distopian with tons of violence. Jumped the shark when the main character had some sort of near-death experience. But, I still liked the "one man protector with super-gadgets" theme they both had.

Buffy- Not really sci-fi, but I liked the humor and the female roles (Eliza Dushku is my future ex-wife). We got a look at how Joss Whedon could do humor and still address serious, gut-wrenching emotions.

Eureka- Silly and very formulaic, but I enjoyed the characters. It was fun to check in every week and see what my "friends" were up to.

Doctor Who- Been watching since the restart in 2005, but have been catching up a bit on the "classic" who. Tennant is my favorite so far. The character who tries to solve problems with his mind... love it.

Andromeda- my viewing was sporadic, but I liked what I saw. Lots of interpersonal conflicts kept it moving along.

Battlestar Galactica- I really liked the new one, although again, my viewing was generally sporadic. I came in on the "who are the final...[no spoilers]" era, very late in the show, but really, really enjoyed what I saw.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I was intrigued by Battlestar Galactica having never watched any episodes of the new series so I downloaded all four seasons. Just finished Season Two and I'm loving it. There are some slightly annoying bits here and there (Starbuck being one of them, her character I just find more annoying than anything else, but maybe that's the point as they head deeper into the story), but overall I am really enjoying it so far, especially when it heads into darker territory.

So... Onto Season Three...

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The original Starbuck was a guy and a maverick. The new version was supposedly breaking new and daring ground by casting Starbuck as a woman. Because the 90's clearly haven't happened yet for the writers of the new Battlestar Galactica.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Boomer was a bloke too in the original and funnily enough so was Kono in Five-O.

Both now having been played by Grace Park.

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yes but by the time the remake of BG came around strong women in lead roles on TV weren't exactly new ground or especially daring. The characters were recast as women for the sake of getting their kit off whenever possible.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Did anyone else start out watching BSG with season 1 episode 1 - like every other show - and think, "Did I miss a season here?" Having two Boomers (one on Galactica the other on Caprica) confused the hell out of me at first.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Nah, not really. I think you just didn't pay attention in a couple key, 5 minute plot points : P.

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

There's a mini series pilot that you should watch prior to Season One, Episode One.