Scar Tissue?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Panzerhaust, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

Haha, no man. I'm not doing it to look tough or anything. For 4 years the skin keeps scraping off of my knees and knuckles from my training. It doesn't do it badly enough all the time that I'm naturally getting any scarring or large callousing. I just want to build it up a little more so that on the nights I'm doing more groundwork, suwariwaza, bag work, and the occasional time I have a need to smack some dolt around without gloves on, the skin won't take such a beating.
    Yes I'm seriously into martial arts. 10 years out of my life which is more than half of it so far. Do you honestly think I'd be trying to build protective surfaces on my knees and knuckles just to look tough?
    The guitar strings thing was just an idea because I picked up the guitar again about 4 months ago and was able to form nice thick callouses in less than a week on my fingertips. I figure they're different types of flesh but it should still toughen up my knee and knuckle skin.

2. ptRANGER

ptRANGER The day-dreamer

i think it is more fragile than normal skin so.. =S

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Buy some knuckle dusters.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

makiwara board.
    you can get one from blitz for about £14
    it says wall mount but something more flexable would be better.

maybee look into some iorn hand training?
    get a sand bag and punch its lights out?
    only use tyhe sandbag very rairly though

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

going to add on that something more flexable is deffinatly better!

your going to get tough skin eventualy.

you say the skin is scraping of in training do your gloves fit correctly? this sounds like the issue, unless you train without gloves and then you're a muppet.
    i knew i TKD guy who punched walls for training, it didn't work.