Scar Tissue?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Panzerhaust, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

Is scar tissue more resistant to abrasion and tearing? I ask because if so, I am planning on scarifying (see scarification) the skin on my knuckles to toughen then up so the skin won't tear as easily.

I figure this will be more painful yet a shorter process than trying to form larger callouses on my knuckles.

Any help here?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Well that seems like a good idea :rolleyes:

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

this is wrong on absolutely every level.

4. Panzerhaust

How is this wrong? I want to toughen the skin on my knuckles so when I strike the skin won't become torn or cut.

And no I wouldn't be doing it myself, I'd find a body modification artist who does scarification.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

the skin on your knuckles will toughen on its own. There is no reason to cut yourself (or have someone else cut you) leaving ugly scars and risking infection.

6. enderwiggins

enderwiggins Valued Member

In all honesty does not sound as bad of an idea as every one else is making it out to be. If done professionally, scarification is completely safe, its just like getting a tattoo, only difference is the design is with your skin instead of ink. My only concern would be that callused knuckles would still be harder to break open than if you had it done that way. My friend had a star embedded in his chest (Just for the record i don't like scarification; at least on my self) and not that I have poked at it a lot but the skin looks weaker. I did gymnastics for along time and the callouses that I had could stand up to spinning around a metal bar in hand stand. The questions I would ask would be. Does scarification create real scar tissue? Is scar tissue harder than calloused skin.

7. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

scar tissue cuts and bleeds more readily than normal, healthy skin. once you've been cut in a given spot, you're more likely to get cut there again. look at nick diaz; he'd accumulated so much scar tissue on his face (and was so prone to bleeding, and thus cut stoppages) that he actually went and had a plastic surgeon remove as much scar tissue as possible, and then grind down his skull.

if you're into scars for their, uh, cosmetic value, then whatever. but cutting your knuckles so they'll be tougher if you punch something is... just... spectacularly counterproductive.

8. enderwiggins

enderwiggins Valued Member

See thank you, I had not had time to look in to it yet. I knew my hands used to be rocks. Wish they still were bang:

9. Panzerhaust

Thank you Pauli THAT is the kind of info I was looking for. Guess I'll just start working on those knuckle callouses.

10. KFjim

KFjim Valued Member

Really wont help, I have quite a lot of scarring on my knees and they rip open so easily now. You can see patches where the skin is just lighter and thinnner.

11. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

a good example of this is what happened to Ken Shamrock saturday. he's got so much scar tissue on his face that i think just about anything would bust the skin over his orbital open!

12. Panzerhaust

Ok, well since callouses are stronger, does anyone have any ideas for easy methods of building callouses?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Punch bag. With gloves.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmmm... first instinct to tells me to check the age of Panzerhaus...

then I realize I could probably guess it without too much work. :p

15. Panzerhaust

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Oh wait... :evil:

16. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Scar tissue rips and bleeds much more easily then normal tissue because it lacks flexibility/elasticity. Think of a burn victim who has lots of scar tissue, it is very prone to tearing and bleeding.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Washing your hands in urine toughens the skin. Boxers do it all the time ;)

18. Panzerhaust

I'm going to take that as a joke :cool:

Personally that's right up there with washing my hakama in ram's ****.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The Rams urine enhances your Ki and keeps enemies at bay. ;)

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

If it's any help I'm an Aries :cool::evil: