Scapular wallslides/externally rotated hip.

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by flaming, Jun 16, 2007.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Two seperate problems but they might be connected. My lower trapezius do not work especially on my right side. When doing scapular wallslides I have a hard time getting to the starting position while keeping my back flat against the wall. And then as I have to tense my obliques and abdominals realy hard to keep the back flat.
    Is the back ment to be flat?
    Will I get better or do I have another problem?
    I stretch my chest, latts and triceps.

When Im lying in bed my right leg external rotates I have anterior pelvic tilt and its worse on my right side is that what is doing it?

I thought anterior pelvic tilt would cause my foot to turn inwards? I use my right leg more.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

If you cant be bothered reading.

1. Is the back ment to be flat against the wall in scapular wallslides?

2. What could cause my right leg to externally rotate?

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Your butt and upper back but not lower back are supposed to be against the wall. Kinda difficult to keep your back flat there for a while, especially when feet are 18 inches from the wall.

The rotation is probably down to tight TFL and IT band. Look up the Thomas test to see some more detail.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Is it true that if the core isn't tensed enough the TFL does the job of the gluteus medius abducting the leg?

Ive been walking on my heels to stregthen my tibialis and my TFL has started feeling tighter.

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

To brace the core should I try to bring my navel in or breath into the belly and keep it tensed?

7. Ad McG

Breathe in, pulling your navel in is not actually a natural position.

To strengthen your tibialis you need to do dorsiflexions, just holding them up won't really do that much.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Yeah it did feel a bit wrong well I felt weaker. I was reading about posture and a lot of the web sites said activate the transverse abdominus (I think thats the name) by sucking the belly button in. Thanks again.

9. Ad McG

It does activate it but it more isolates it than anything else. It is also activated when you fully contract the abdomen anyway.