SBG's Karl Tanswell passes away

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Van Zandt, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I just heard through a mutual friend that Karl Tanswell had passed away.

Karl was an influential figure on the UK martial arts scene for many years, and was head coach at the hugely popular SBG gym in Manchester.

RIP Karl.

Dead_pool and Hannibal like this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Such a shame trained with Karl a number of times over the years always fun. Do we know what happened?

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I was told the cause but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to comment at this time.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Saw this on FB. RIP Karl. Forever immortalized by the seni systema knife defence incident.

Van Zandt and Hannibal like this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Bloody hell!

Karl was a great coach and a good man. I didn't know him very well but he was always warm and encouraging towards me. At on point very generous towards me offering to train me for free when I got in a spot of money trouble. Absolute legend.

RIP

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

RIP Karl, I've known him for over a decade, but only on the peripheral/not regularly,

He was always warm and genuine, hardly ever let me pay for training, and went out of his way to show me things to help my game.

My thoughts are with his family and close friends.

Van Zandt and Knee Rider like this.
  7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ha, I remember that. Karl was always a great acid test for practicality in the martial arts. I remember going to a silat seminar taught by Steve Benitez at Bob Sykes's academy in Colne. Must have been about '04 or '05 and Karl was there watching. Steve showed an application from one of the jurus, think it was some kind of flowy arm lock thing. Karl shouted that it wouldn't work, but rather than just leave it at that, he offered an adjustment to the technique (which to his credit Steve graciously allowed Karl to demonstrate). The martial arts need more people like Karl.

Hannibal, Dead_pool and Knee Rider like this.
  8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

RIP Karl

"The Seni incident" was a term I actually coined for the whole debacle and it was a shining example of someone standing.up to be counted - even if Karl left us with nothing else this example is one to learm from

Knee Rider and Van Zandt like this.
  9. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I'm sorry to say that neither Karl, nor his reputation, made it on to my martial RADAR (which says infinitely more about me, than it does about him)

From reading this thread alone, (which is not even in to double digits yet) which I must say seems to be a testament to the man, his teachings, and everything he brought to the martial arts, I must confess that the sense of loss from his passing has not been lost on me!

I truly hope that the above words of respect and appreciation, that you all have shared above, make it out to a wider audience, and are heard (read) by those who were closest to Karl in life.

Travess

Knee Rider and Van Zandt like this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

John Kavanagh apparently is attempting to gather stories, photos and anecdotes about Karl. To give, I think, his son some measure of the man as others saw him.
    I remember training with him one time and he related a story of how in the old days, training with Steve Powell, someone was training in trainers they'd worn out in the street (naughty naughty). They kicked a pad and a lump of dog turd flung off their shoe from the impact and hit Steve Powell in the back of the head.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Here he is in action.

Travess and Knee Rider like this.
  12. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee Valued Member

Sorry to read of the news. Was part of some classes Karl assisted Steve Powell with years ago, never got to know him but he was a very talented martial artist and coach