Sankaku Jime (triangle choke)

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by mattt, Mar 7, 2013.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Looking into the origin of this choke, I came across a rumour that it was seen in medieval times in European arts- has anyone came across any reference to this?

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I know of some very advanced German textbooks on medieval hand to hand, but I can't remember the name. It wouldn't suprise me at all if it was there.

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'd appreciate the name if it comes to you.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Leg figure 4 has always existed in CACC, so someone must have figured out how to choke with it at some point. Is Melanson's triangle book out yet? That probably has something to say about it.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think in medieval times it was known as "A choke with thine legs so that ones cods doth lie near thou face".

6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

New keyboard please!

7. hext

hext Valued Member

I'm wondering if you are referring to the "Codex Wallerstein" I've had my eye on this for a while wondering whether its worth it, part b of the book covers grappling...

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

in pehlwani/kushti it's used as an inverted triangle from when the opponent has turtled. considering the CACC-pehlwani cross over i thought there might be an associated name

it's just called a "strangle-hold" in the english as opposed to rear naked which is called a "neck lock"

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I've never seen a triangle in a medieval/renaissance manual. The ground work there tends to be positional in order to GnP or deploy a dagger. I've seen full and half guard, full mount, lots of back mount, and crucifix. Presuamably the idea was to achieve a dominant position and to be able to get up quickly if your opponent has friends. It wouldn't surprise me to see it in old depictions of Pankation (as that was a an unarmed duel without chance of interruption), though that's outside my period of expertise.

Best regards,

-Mark

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

The grappling section is extensive and the techniques are very elegant. Whoever wrote it knew his grappling inside and out... definitely a high-grade professional IMO. It is done in a series of set plays. For example, it starts with basic leg pick, then two counters to that. Then what to do if he counters the leg pick by pulling the leg back, etc. It is mostly standup grappling, focusing on a whackload of throws and counters and some joint desctruction as well. There is some striking, nearly all of it open hand, knife hand in particular.

The Codex Wallerstein is going to form the foundation of our new Ringen (wrestling) curriculum, FWIW. Interpreting the techniques is difficult, but not impossible. You'll need a couple of guys with grappling experience to get the most out of it. The more the merrier, actually. Some of the phrasing is really weird and doesn't flow well in English. Think of it as a hybrid JJJ/Wrestling/Judo system and you should be fine.

Edit: here's a vid showing the leg pick and a bunch of others. The Twirch is when you position yourself so that your core is facing them and theirs is pointing away at about 90 degrees (better relative position): [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvkPLvoH1vI"]Twirch Ringen (Updated) - YouTube[/ame]

Best regards,

-Mark

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013