Sandbag Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mitch, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Anyone do this? Recommended or just a fad?

I was thinking of having a go, just for a bit of variety, so any ideas welcome.

When it comes to the bag, firm or floppy? I've seen some pre-stuffed ones that are rigid, whereas the ones you add sand bladders to to achieve different weights tend to be floppy.*

Which is best? Anything pros/cons?

Mitch

*There's so much innuendo in this paragraph I just couldn't bring myself mention it, too easy :D

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Do you mean this : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76DWL2r51kI[/ame]

or this: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=106_HhzCaGs[/ame]

LFD

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The former, though that's a Bulgarian bag I believe.

More like this

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=126de692-6E[/ame]

Mitch

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Really depends on preference TBH. I would still go for a firmer one if you can though - not so great for burden runs and the like (floppier ones, if you rest them on your shoulder, tend to mould to your shoulder shape in my experience and tend to be a touch easier to carry) but much easier to get a firm grip on when you pick them up and IMO easier to put overhead.

Only done it a few times and it's really, really hard. :eek:

Thing is, ready made sand bags can get pretty pricey. It'd probably be worth looking at getting a regular sports bag and stuffing some cheap bags of play sand in there (you can get 10kg bags for a few quid only in a lot of places).

EDIT: Also, that first one is defo a bulgarian bag. Never used it myself so can't comment on it but I've heard it's pretty good.

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Done it when the gym wasn't the most convenient where I was living. It's great for large movements (i.e. Squat, press, deadlift) carries on flat ground or stairs, and even some specialized training (mine was big enough to do suplexes and other take downs with.

I wouldn't try to replace standard gym equipment with it but it makes a nice change of pace.

Firmer tends to be better because you can get a more secure grip. For carrying I like firmer too. I find the floppy ones rather than staying on more securely tend to slide off my shoulders. I made one from an old canvas punching bag which allowed me to vary the load and cinch it down tight by putting long seatbelt straps through the rings on top and around the bag. Also allowed for good handles with a variety of grips. Also filling any excess space with cloth helps a lot.

I recommend making one yourself. If you do buy one get one where you can vary the load. You don't want it to be too heavy for one exercise or too light for another.

Materials:
    -Large duffle bag or canvas punching bag
    -Play sand (ludicrously cheap)
    -Plastic bags (zip lock or any heavy plastic bags
    -Duct tape (to wrap the plastic bags)
    -Scale (to weigh the sand)

Assembly:
    Obvious no?

If you can get some seatbelt or strong nylon webbing you can stitch some on the ends and sides of the bag and feed the rest through to cinch it down and create good handles.
    Using a lot of rescued materials total cost was under $100 for mine.

Good hunting!

Sifu Ben

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I made up my own using a military style duffle/kit bag and small plastic bags filled with sand.

The advantage of a more floppy one is that you can grip it, almost like a gi, and get the benefit of a grip workout at the same time as some strength/cardio training. It might be worth making up 2, for different types of training benefits.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  7. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I too have made my own.

I actually slung some sand bags in prep for a storm during my days in the.army. estimate 200 bags an hour + 12 hours! Every muscle my body hurt.

Load em on bench. Unload and stack them. Repeat....