"Samurai Rings"

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Ragnarok2005, Sep 2, 2006.

1. For want of a better term, I was watching Chris Crudelli's "Mind, Body and Kickass Moves" and a Japanese weapons expert [Enthusist?] was showing weapons the Samurai used. One I've never heard of, or seen, was a ring on each middle finger, with a bar held inside, they flick out to re-enforce the fingers, or stick out the side for stabbing attacks. Either way, it looks beautifully precise.

Does anyone know of this weapon? What's it's name? Can I buy it?

2. shinsen

shinsen Valued Member

Sounds like a suntetsu - if you google it, I'm sure you'll find somewhere to buy one

3. Very helpful mate. Thankyou! :D

4. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

One of these?

[​IMG]

"A Suntetsu is a metal rod/spike about 6 inches in length with a ring attached to it. The middle finger is inserted into the ring and the Suntetsu rests in the hand by various grips. Suntetsu are small, easy to conceal and relatively simple to learn how to use. Suntetsu are used for stabbing, poking, pinching, striking, smashing, scraping and throwing. You can use a single Suntetsu or a pair."

Looks quite nifty. And it seems quite easy to get hold of one...

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Yes, the suntetsu is a jujutsu/torite weapon. These go under the category of "Kakushi buki" or hidden weapons - You don't see them until they are utilised. Very few jujutsu schools train with this weapon now a days. The only school in Japan I know of, that trains in that weapon at present is Toda-ryu, headed by Iwai Kohaku sensei in Gunma Prefecture.

6. Where from? :Angel: Out of curiosity.

7. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

:Alien: These arn't the samurai rings you're looking for. :Alien: