[SAMBO] Video Thread

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Kurtka Jerker, May 22, 2012.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There should be much more of this. Everywhere. :D

I've never managed to turn up any classes in the Midlands of the UK, anyone know any better?

Mitch

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

really should be more dominate a grappling style from a totally practical stand point and not an emotional which one I enjoy most view, much more of Sambo transfers directly to MMA fighting without needing modification than BJJ does and this is only helped by the fact that Sambo has a built in jacketed MMA style to begin with. Dont get me wrong BJJ shouldn't be discounted from MMA curriculum's most of us would need a guard game to fight in that environment (unless your exceptional at other aspects of grappling) and when there is nothing else available BJJ more than suffices (as it has proven many times), but allot of Sambo can make a much easier transition were as allot of BJJ is almost useless (in the hands of all but the most skilled practitioner) when strikes are aloud. It also totally trumps modern Judo in just about every way in my opinion, in allot of ways its kind of like Judo on steroids. But marketing and cultural differences are often more important to the development of things than practicality.

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9boUgn_EuY"]Sambo Highlight - Headbutts & Leg Locks. Combat Sambo ! - YouTube[/ame]

Please excuse the captions and music, there are some crazy exchanges in this video.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I get to wear at least half of my pyjamas, I'm happy :D

Mitch

5. Kurtka Jerker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=rd5PA6lGP4s&feature=endscreen"]Sambo Throws and Takedowns 1 of 8 - YouTube[/ame]
    And a very visual instructional.
    And I think saying "bjj alone is useless except in the hands of the most skilled practicioners when strikes are allowed) is going too far. I do feel that Sambo translates more readily to other venues than BJJ but that's more down to more emphasis on standup grappling and the idea of motion over position than anything else. If you're used to reacting explosively and dynamically then it isn't going to throw you off as much when a particular position has a new element (the guy can readily punch/stab you, for example) as it would if your usual go-to response was to lock down and incrementally lever your way to a better position.
    BJJ has more than proved itself and there are plenty of BJJists who have coped with real fights with nothing but, simply because they've got something the other guy has no understading of.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I prefer the use of chokes and no standups but I admit sambo is cool as hell to watch.

Since normal sambo has no chokes, but combat sambo allows them, how developed are they in western based clubs? I know sambo steve said in russia as gyms compete in judo too there as developed as the judo demands.

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I didnt say that I said allot of BJJ has no application outside of grappling like certain guards and sweeps, unless the person using them is good enough to make them work.

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

just about every sambo person trains chokes, its really not an issue that comes up as there is allot of cross over with Judoka as you said, and in the west its probably even more common as the majority of competitions people will fight in will be BJJ based in there rules. Sport Sambo stand ups could be called a bit quick but you get a life time on the ground when compared to Judo. But these are competition issues your always free to run your own with your own rule set, Im talking about as a martial art I feel its a much more rounded form of grappling than either of its close (and more popular) cousins.

9. Kurtka Jerker

For the record, this was the bit I was trying to paraphrase there.
    And I'd agree that there are some techniques which would be much less workable in a setting that involves striking but frankly the bread and butter technique set is pretty much good to go. I only disagree with the emphasis on step-by-step positional advancement via grips and leverage when someone can punch you in the head while you're doing it. Not to say it doesn't work, just that an emphasis on sudden explosive movement tends to require less retooling to transition. It's a big part of why solid wrestling has been able to shut down pretty much everything else during certain periods in the UFC.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  10. Dead_pool

Alot? Maybe some of the newer guards like 50/50 and tornado but you still see them in transition, as you do halfguard. Whereas Full and butterfly are bread and butter for MMA. In terms of top game, its all the same as BJJ with more focus on facedown rearmount.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Lord there are some sweeping statements made on this thread, firstly sambo isn’t exactly dominating either the grappling or MMA world in the biggest areas, ie America and Japan, and even in Europe outside of its own run organisation its not dominating anywhere so its a bit much to say it’s a better grappling style for MMA than BJJ when there isn’t any actual evidence of this.
    Secondly BJJ last time I checked also included a top game, as well as guard work and as fusen said the latest positions might be pure grappling but they hardly make up the majority of what is BJJ

12. Kurtka Jerker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9tZyv3SPjA"]2011 Sambo Worlds : Kurzhev vs Temirov - YouTube[/ame]

Nicely matched, fast paced sport SAMBO match.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

There was probably more attacks thrown in that 3 minute video than every Judo match from the last olympics combined.

14. Kurtka Jerker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOf6dKTghpI"]COMBAT SAMBO 2012 HIGHLIGHTS 1 part - YouTube[/ame]

Highlight video from 2012 Combat SAMBO championships. Do not watch if you are uncomfortable with children in full-contact striking events. (no blood, no KO, just young ones trying to knock eachother out)

Some big throws, some slick striking exchanges.

15. Kurtka Jerker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlMxo3mbuMM"]Виталий Минаков vs. ФабьÑну Шернер - YouTube[/ame]

Vitaly Minakov putting on a casting punch and takedown clinic on Fabricio Sherner. Not a very well matched fight but a wonderful showcase of textbook Combat Sambo in MMA.

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

17. Kurtka Jerker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ywGN9e0iY"]Masakazu Imanari - YouTube[/ame]

Not a sambist AFAIK but he hates legs so I guess it counts.

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

that guys nuts, really entertaing fighter, shares a similar nasty streak too his training partener shinya aoki though.

19. Dead_pool

There was a video going round of him popping someones knee with a heelhook variation whilst rolling at a seminar last year.

I always found this an enlightening match:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0m8Buc86o"]Jean Silva vs Masakazu Imanari - YouTube[/ame]

20. Dead_pool

Great blog post about it too: NSFW has two uses of a swear word
    http://notesfromringside.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/leg-locks/

''LEG LOCKS - Some people love them, some people hate them. I don’t feel too strongly either way – I don’t mind going for leg locks when rolling, and I don’t mind other people going for them on me, so long as they know what they’re doing.

It’s easy to really MESS someone’s knee up with a poorly applied leg lock. Any twisting leg lock can shred a knee in seconds, and I’ve seen enough (and felt it too, twice unfortunately) to vouch that leg locks can be pretty devastating.

In a fight, It’s anything goes, right? Someone who is prepared to elbow you in the kisser with all their might should be spared no mercy when it comes to tapping out – apply the hold, if they choose to grit it out, that’s their decision. It’s also their soon-to-be-serious knee problem.

In the above pics, Jean Silva went up against Masakazu Imanari, one of the most dangerous leg lock guys in all of MMA. Instead of tapping when he had the chance, Silva rolled one too many times. Imanari is ruthless when it comes to applying leg locks. You don’t wanna tap, he’ll happily destroy your knee for you.

I don’t really go for twisting leg locks much. I don’t go for that many leg locks at all, really – I like to slap the occasional Ken Shamrock-style toehold on somebody, or slide in for a funky kneebar, but other than that I don’t like dropping back and risk losing position.

That’s not to say I won’t attack someone with a heelhook if it’s there. But I’ll only use them against those I know won’t spaz out and put themselves on the surgeon’s waiting list. We encourage anyone under a purple belt to leave out twisting leg locks entirely.''

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013