Sambo in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Hmu06544, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Hmu06544

Hmu06544 New Member

Does anyone know if Dynamo Sambo is any good or even how much it costs I emailed the coach Vadim, no reply any info would be appreciated.

2. Liquid Steel

Liquid Steel Valued Member

The people Vadim worked with in Russia were certainly very good... why not just go along and see?

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

its legendary he is legendary if you live close by enough to train there do it, if he doesn't reply to your email see if there's a phone number if there isn't the best thing to do is just show up.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yeah, just show up. His email account could be broken, or he could be bad about checking it. Besides, many instructors like to talk about cost after you've had a chance to see what their classes are like, so that you're not talking about money in a total vacuum.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Trained some Sambo recently with a Russian guy who was passing through on his way out of the army - terrifying. lol. Seriously if you get a chance to train it on a regular basis... take it up. I would without any hesitation.

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

certainly with Vadim. He is a perfect gentleman and good friend as well as a HELL of a fighter/instructor.

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Heel Hooks for the win

8. mr nate

mr nate Valued Member

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Vadim is a top guy and his instruction is excellent. No ego, no nonsense just quality instruction. He also trains with me in swordsmanship so is always looking for ways to develop. I'll mention you to him on Sunday when I see him.

The Bear.

10. Hmu06544

Hmu06544 New Member

Thanks for all the replys I'm looking to get back into martial arts and the reason cost is so important is that now I'm paying for it. I've looked at some other styles that Glasgow has to offer and times, prices and days of practice are all important. Think I will just give him a call.

11. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I bet if you hit youtube you could come up with some videos of him moving. He's pretty famous.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVwafhHrhmg&feature=player_embedded#"]Sambo Competition Fight - Vadim Kolganov - France - YouTube[/ame]!

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

man sambo really is the most underrated of martial arts, why leg locks fell out of favour amongst many of the grappling arts for so long astounds me even to this day you barley even see them in MMA why ? if trained properly there total fight stoppers and no one really expects them.

13. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

BJJ came from Judo, which at the time had no leglocks. As a result, BJJ developed primarily without leglocks. For some reason the general BJJ community came to the conclusion that leglocks require one to give up position in a way that armlocks do not, and that they are gimmicky techniques which damage your fundamentals. It's gotten to the point where leglocks are respected so little by some that legs get broken in competition thanks to people who don't want to lose to such a "cheap" technique. Bans ensue.

Being that BJJ is widely regarded as the primary sweeps and submissions style out there, that will color perceptions.

14. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Did judo not have the leglocks, or were they just not competition-legal? Kyuzo Mifune's Canon of Judo makes reference to (and depicts) Ashi-Hishigi.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  15. Raff Striker

Raff Striker Valued Member

Hi there! I love to see another, person take Sambo. ^_^ I take it myself! For about...Hm...I say probably a year. Maybe a year in a half. But honestly, I can't tell you if it's good or not. In my opinion it is. In my opinion as well - It is the best, Martial Art I have ever studied. I have tried different ones...but they all seem..well...Eh to me. But the only thing I can tell you, is that you need to find out yourself. Find out if it's for you. If not well...Then move onto, something else. ^_^ I'm sorry, if this doesn't help. But hey...I tried.

16. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Apologies for resurrecting the old thread. Does anyone know if Vadim's Sambo class is still running? dynamosambo.co.uk doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

17. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

vadim takes a sambo class in battlefield gym now mate, its an mma and graice barra gym in the city centre, last I herd he was still taking his old class as well though.

18. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Thanks Rocket