Saavedra family system

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Karl, Aug 31, 2006.

1. donb

donb restless spirit

I am in the Chicago area; anyway, it would be interesting because learning things when you were a kid, you take things for granted and how was i to know that there was such a thing as saavedra system back then. In fact, as i mentioned before, my grandfather preferred short swords (kris and japanese bayonette), not sticks so i thought they were military oriented, not escrima.

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

So would I be right in assuming that he would prefer a more Corto, close range style of fighting? And maybe this would explain why some of his students such as Ancion Bacon developed the close range Balintawak system too.

Best regards

Pat

3. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Kris and bayonnet is a Estoccada system. Mabuhay Gat Kalislash

4. donb

donb restless spirit

i don't really know what systems you guys are talking....i am not a escrimador; my background in martial arts is different,

5. donb

donb restless spirit

corto system might be right because when i trained in lameco, some of the techniques are closely related, i honestly don't know because escrima is not my cup-of-tea; also, there were some techniques that were interesting such as sentry removal

6. donb

donb restless spirit

"be like a sponge, bleed a little, absorb a lot", from Master Yum Ki Nam, Hwarangdo

7. donb

donb restless spirit

People that create systems/styles in martial arts, don't really label it for recognition. They share what they know and students add bits and pieces to make it more effective as their experiences grow. I have been in martial arts long enough and have trained with several grandmasters and really, unless you are aiming to be a pro-fighter, recognition is the least of your concern. I think this is why the saavedra system disappeared. "Martial arts are like spokes of a wheel, they complement each other to form a wheel. A complete martial artist should have a balance of soft and hard, linear and circular, and be one with himself" - I have followed this quote from Master Yum Ki Nam of Hwarangdo years ago.
    Pat, thank you for your interest in the saavedra system, hopefully, you'll find out more about it.

8. Karl

Karl Valued Member

quote:eek:ne stayed in Cebu, One went to the Batangas region in Luzon. The third, if you've read from the Illustrisimo or Sulite records, went to southern Mindanao. More specifically, in Cotabato.
    --
    Donb
    Do you know if there are still some family members in Batangas or Cotabato??
    Thanks and regards
    Karl

9. donb

donb restless spirit

in both places yes, way back in 93, i did meet some Saavedra from Batangas but non-practitioners; also from Cotabato, i do know of an uncle that was in the military over there, and i hate to say this but i only know him by his nickname (uncle totong), he lived with us but i haven't kept contact with him either. Thanks for asking.

10. donb

donb restless spirit

Gat kalislash,
    i don't think that my grandfather ever trained under an Estocccada system before WWII, besides, the japanese bayonette that we used was from a soldier her killed. Also, i've never ran into an Estoccada name/family name in Zamboanga were i grew up.

11. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Hi Bro. Dond, It is just curiosity seems they were a thrusting weapons and I am also interested about the Saavedras Family system.I think it was not lost mybe they were in all components of some FMA today? Mabuhay Gat Kalislash

12. donb

donb restless spirit

It was more like thrust and slash or i prefer, stab and flick, hitting vital organs with the thrust and slashing vital arteries. Can't use it and not meant for tournaments so i dropped it. Both weapons were not used simultaneously, if you're using the kris, you have to think of its properties (being thin, slick, and saw-like) while the bayonette, is heavier with good steel for blocking, reverse holds.

13. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Hi Bro. Dond, it is an interesting style we both the same aspect of arts. we also have defficulties about the tournaments but their is some adjusment for that matter.I like blades but we always begun teaching sticks and then to the blade or swords . Mabuhay Gat Kalislash :)

14. donb

donb restless spirit

Gat Kalislash, thanks for the info. i'll keep that in mind. As of now i have a different goal in martial arts - knowledge. I had been practicing for 33 years, learning japanese (shotokan, aikido, iaido, shuri-ryu, isshin-ryu), korean (taekwondo, hapkido, hwarangdo) and filipino arts (lameco and presas). They all overlap which makes me think that there is only one system - the martial arts system, the rest are branches of it.

15. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

It is said that "Man creates the arts but the arts cannot makes the man" . Mabuhay ! Gat Kalislash

16. donb

donb restless spirit

just to formalize my introduction to this thread, my full name is "dondon briones y saavedra" , born and raised in Zamboanga del Norte, moved to Manila when i was 11, moved to US when i was 25, currently age 41.

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

nice to meet you dondon.

here's to resurrecting the old system. you can probably piece it together with what you know plus

-doce pares
    -san miguel (escrima, not the beer)
    -balintawak (there are some videos of the old men on youtube)
    -arnis diablo/ barau sugbu

18. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Seems Arnis Diablo is also a lost art or not?

19. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

And you will find clips of San Miguel and Doce Pares on You Tube too, Now I would like to see Arnis Diablo / Barau Sugbu as I am always interested in trying to peice together the old styles, hence i have trained with the other three mentioned.

It is a shame we cant go back in time and see the first Doce Pares club when it opened in 1932, and even to have a glimps of the Labangon Fencing Club in 1921. Now that would be interesting.

best regards

Pat

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

not really. it's more like a selective group. sometimes secretive but they're there.

i'm pretty familiar with how it goes with small secretive, selective group.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007