Saavedra family system

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Karl, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Karl

Karl Valued Member

I already ask this in an other Forum and was thinking maybe Pat knows a bit more about it:
    Is the name from the Saavedra brothers still alive in the Ph, I mean is the Saavedra stil still active??? Are they still active as Escrimadors in their own family system??? :rolleyes:
    Regards
    Karl

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Not as far as I am aware of, I do beleive they were killed by the Japanese during WWII and I am not sure but I think the only ones to carry on their teachings is the Doce Pares Club, and Mainly the Canete Family whom they trained.

GM Dionisio does mention them from time to time, but he has never mentioned to me that the family name is still active in FMA circles.

I could be wrong but I personaly have not heard of the family name being used now with regards to FMA on my visits and I am always on the look out for the unknown, lesser well known and obscure clubs of FMA.

But I am back out there in December and you have just given me another mission (I will go there on holiday one day;) ), I will do my best to find out and as soon as I do I will let you all know.

If anyone else knows anything about them then let me know as this will give me some clues in being able to track them down if they are still active.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  3. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Hey Pat

thanks for answering and nice to know that I got your attention with that, hope you will be more succesfull as I am.....The only info I got was that someone told me that a friend of him in the 80s was a Saavedra (same family) who late became a Police officer and that he knew Arnis under Maj. Timoteo Maranga......
    If I know more I will let u know also..
    thanks and regards
    Karl

4. Pat OMalley

Well that bit of info is a start. As you know in the PI is not about what question you ask, it's more about how you ask the question:D

But I am sure between us we can dig up some more information and who knows were it may lead, could be full of surprises.

Just like when I was asking for the Black Cat Club in Cebu and was told it never existed, some 4 years later one of it's senior members found me in McDonalds (a Cebu branch) of all places. Master Dan Nalasco, so done some stuff with him and all I can say is Top Man.

Best regards

Pat

5. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Yes you are right, I remember about 15 years ago in Baguio I was asking about an Arnis or just FMA school.....nobody knew what I was talking about....now after all these years I found out that there is a group in Baguio....I got my information in Jolibee jejej joking :)
    hey Pat
    someone was asking in another forum about "Master Rene Capangpangan" and these was a very intersting answer:

In summary, Rene learned his art from Goyong Ceniza. It was called Arnes Diablo, basically involves knife-fighting & disarming. It is like doing chi-sao or push-hands with knives. The style can be traced back to the Saavedra clan, the same Saavedras who became part of the original Doce Pares group in Cebu. :::::::::::::::

Ok thats for today
    bye and regards
    Karl

6. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Valued Member

Pat at el,

While talking to someone a couple of years ago in California, and forgive for I have forgotten the name and I do apologize for that, I believe the Canete's were working with one of the Saavedra (grandsons) some of the system. No mention to how long and or where. So, while the name may not be players in the world of teaching I believe there are some who are learning it again.

Thanks

7. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi

"While talking to someone a couple of years ago in California, and forgive for I have forgotten the name and I do apologize for that, I believe the Canete's were working with one of the Saavedra (grandsons) some of the system. No mention to how long and or where. So, while the name may not be players in the world of teaching I believe there are some who are learning it again."

I have also heard the same. A few years ago i met up with Ray Terry (Eskrima Digest) and Graham Jamieson (Black Eagle Eskrima) for a drink in a hotel that Ray was staying in for a few weeks. Ray also mentioned the fact that there was a relative of one of the saavedra's (possibly Doring - i cant recall precisely) in california. I think it may have been in Stockton. Either way, i'm sure Ray can verify it if you drop him a line.

Doug

8. Pat OMalley

Hi all

Well I will be in Cebu pretty soon, so my number one mission is to find out, and as soon as I get any info I will let you guys know.

Best regards

Pat

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi all,
    I will throw in what I know and will mention the man to talk to in the US would be Sifu Richard Bustillo. He is very close to the man himself GM Cacoy Canete. I last worked out with GM Cacoy (as the person showing all of us his stuff) was in June a year and a half ago. I have his book signed :D and it was a really good experience for me.

He is well into his 80's and still was going strong, the Book is "Eskrido" and it takes some strength to do what he was doing and I throughly had a good time. I worked out with Sifu Richard the last time he was in the no ca area in the earlier part of the year.

I try to mix and match and get to the good seminars, of the ones I like (people), Sifu Richard (or you can call him Guro also or GM) Guro Inosanto, and others from down south then I enjoy the Cabales group and of course Hanshi Juchniks stuff but I get that from Pat Kelly and my son Robert, who is a practioner of Guro Vincent Cabales, and the Cabaroan of Leo Giron by Guro Tony and then I enjoy the Kabaroan of GM Estalilla which my son is also ranked in.

Me I just hit as many angles and attacks and train in all the strikes and defenses and then when I see or hear what the others are taught in, I will adapt to it. Or try :rolleyes: Eskrima, Arnis or Kali it is all chicken, just different flavors ;)
    To stay active and strong is the key, doing the foot work and hitting the bags, some are windy others are not. :Angel:

http://www.fwma.net/escrima.html

Gary

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  10. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

What are we suposed to be looking at on this link? Is it just the name? Or are you on it or something?

Or am I having a blonde moment and missing the obvious?

Love Lucy :love:

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Saavedra system is taught there.

Hi, I believe the system we are talking about is taught there.
    I just clipped it to the end of my whole post. Sorry for the confusion.

It is Doce Pares and part of the Canete group. To be taken with the whole post.
    Gary :D

12. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Hi Pat

are u back already from the PHJ? and if yes were u able to find something about the Saavedras??
    Thanks and regards
    Karl
    PD happy new year to all here

13. Pat OMalley

Hi Karl,

Just got back this morning, I talked to GM Diony Canete regarding this matter, he informed me that the two grandsons lived near by and he has approached them on several occasions regarding learning, training etc, but so far they have shown no interest in learning FMA unfortunately, to which many of the Canete's are dissapointed, they so want the family to keep their family name in the FMA alive.

Sorry mate but that is al I could come up with.

Happy new year

Pat

14. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Pat

thanks for trying and well who knows, maybe one day we will listen something about them....
    regards
    Kal

15. DiamondBack

DiamondBack New Member

I believe my instructor trained with Saavedras in the Phillipines and also in california.

The man to talk to over there is either Jeff 'Stick Man' Finder or Sonny Umpad (a corto cadena grand master).

The Saavedras werre well known for their effective fighting style and 4 of the Saavedra clan were fouding members of Doce Pares. Teodoro was VP and my instructors instructor was president (Eulogio 'Yoling' Canete).

16. Lucy O'Malley

So did your instructor train with the Saavedras in California, before the second world war?

Unfortunately Sonny Umpad has recently died, but who is Jeff Finder, I personally have never heard of him?

17. Lucy O'Malley

Daimondback....due to your user name I am assuming you know Greg Henderson?

If so can you PM me Gregs contact details. I know Pat would like to get in contact with him as he has not seen him since 1992.

Anyway, back to the subject.....

18. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Hey lucy,yes diamondback is the head instructor here in NZ for the diamondback system under Greg Henderson,I have pm you on the whanau forum lol (RA forum).
    Hey Lee (Diamondback)welcome to MAP,good to see another kiwi here,there are few of us kiwi FMA here and on pat & Lucys Rapid Arnis forum (Brother clint from Rapid arnis is on that forum).look forward to reading more from you.
    Lucyy,Lee is one of our officers in the NZCKEAI.
    Cheers
    YBIFMA
    Riki

19. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

hey lucy here is a link about Jeff stickman finder http://www.stickman-escrima.com/
    He wrot an article on becomming a stickfighter many years ago,which inspired me to look up FMA.
    Sorry for hijacking the thread,Back to the subject aye lol
    Cheers
    YBIFMA
    Riki

20. DiamondBack

DiamondBack New Member

Yes , I Know Greg Henderson quite well.
    I believe Greg trained with someone of the Saavedra clan around the time of his trip to America.
    I think it was through Sonny Umpad and something being held at the Diggerberg Acadamy.
    So well after WW2.

If you pass me your and / or Pats contact details I will pass them along to Greg for you.