Ryutai Undo

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Smitfire, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Please reality, may we please have more reality from your posts!

2. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Well.

PS-there are many more than 4 moves. ;) If you want to learn about ryutai undo, you should ask Hatsumi sensei or find somebody that he taught it to. Or you can read Kutaki if you'd like.:love:

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

But, if these 4 moves were put into the system, it begs the question, why? And if so what else that you are taught about it, isnt true?

4. Please reality

Let's look at this logically.

Here's what you originally wrote. The post you were referring to from Kutaki was later posted as:

From a Kutaki thread:
    Quote:
    The first four exercises of this section, referred to as "Ryutai-undo" (Dragon body exercises) are identical to the four main exercises of Makkoho. The Makkoho system was established by Nagai Wataru in the early 1930s. The main exercises have been incorporated into to many Japanese health systems and martial arts.

Okay, so not quite what you said but checking a website for that system, we get:

http://www.makkoexercise.com/untitled6.html

Here's a video from youtube of Hatsumi sensei talking about ryutai undo and in particularly, preparing to kick, how to walk, and the importance of having a flexible body and to practice everyday. I don't know if these were all the exercises he showed at that taikai or what he was doing before that lead into the discussion so I don't know why he chose those particular stretches.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u3KO5C0bko"]é¾ä½“é‹å‹•æ³• Ryutai Undo Ho Dragon Body Exercises360p VP8 Vorbis - YouTube[/ame]

You may see some similarities to the video posted on the Makkoho page I linked, but it doesn't seem the case to me as a system. Firstly, there are not 4 main exercises or whatever that you use to fix your body or pray from. There are exercises for the entire body, from toes to head. The partner drills shown on that page don't resemble what I've been taught either. Looking at the things Hatsumi sensei demonstrated in the video above, you could just as easily think he learned them in a old school American gym class back in the day, and be equally as wrong.

If you want to believe the ryutai undo are from Makkoho, feel free.:meditate: You can even try learning it and see where there is a direct connection and use for your taijutsu and ability to use weapons. Then you can ask yourself if ninja would think like that? Even when Doron used to teach Feldenkrais, he always did something related to an aspect of movement that could be used for fighting.
    Even if by some chance, those 4 exercises were included and actually from Makkoho, where is the rest of ryutai undo from? Oh I know, yoga.:eek:

5. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

I was actually told..(I know..hearsay..) that the exercises come from the Amatsu scrolls..which branch/type/name etc ive no idea.

6. Please reality

I'd add that it teaches you the how and why of some of the more intricate details of movements found in the kata. So if you wonder why an arm is placed a certain way or this or that is rotated just so, this is a good way to find out. It also teaches you about how to break the human body because you do the opposite to your opponent. It can also help you learn reversals because again, you learn about how the body moves.

7. Please reality

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWyKqr4QFo"]Hatsumi Masaaki - Anza (Ryûtai Undo no Hô) - YouTube[/ame]

Funny thing Hatsumi sensei said, "If you can't do this, it doesn't matter how much you copy the kihon happo because the kiso(foundation) comes before that." Not translated, "This is before kihon happo," was all that was translated. He also said the reason why so many people were no good was because they didn't have this foundation.