Russell Stutely

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Oct 18, 2011.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Um, not completely true....

Suggest you go train with someone like Bruce Miller - he can explain and also show you the different kinds of 'pressure points' including those that work sometimes, those that work most of the time and those that ALWAYS work (assuming your attacker is human and alive).

I know several people who treat Rick Moneymaker / Rick Clark / George Dillman and etc with scant regard (and that's being polite) but acknowledge Bruce Miller as someone who actually understands what works.

By the way, although Bruce is a friend of mine as well as a teacher I would be the first to acknowledge that he doesn't know everything.... Oh wait, I would be the second, Bruce would be the first.... That's why a lot of people like his no BS (well let's settle for minimum BS) approach :) :) :)

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

You really should consider whether it matters HOW a teacher presents or if WHAT they present is what you want.... Ignoring the specifics of the video - I have trained with:

Teachers who are easy (and comfortable) to understand but don't know 'jack'.

Teachers who are easy (and comfortable) to understand and know tons of stuff.

Teachers who are difficult or uncomfortable to understand and don't know 'jack'.

Teachers who are difficult or uncomfortable to understand but know tons of stuff.

At the end of the day, it's not what the teacher can do that is important it's what they can do for you - or in my case me :)

3. SamW11

SamW11 Valued Member

Oh, I'm not making any comments on whether or not the techniques work - I'm not even commenting on his teaching style in itself... Hell, I'd train with someone who made me laugh that much - just because it was fun to do...

I was just sharing the fact that the concept of attacking someone with chocoalte chip ice cream struck me as fantastically funny!

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Fair enough - got to agree :)

5. puma

puma Valued Member

Who taught Mr Stutely? Does he do Karate?

6. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I believe he got to brown belt in Shotokan in the late 1990s, perhaps as far as 1st dan. He hooked with the Dragon Society under Rick Moneymaker at around the same time. After that I couldn't say.

Mike

7. puma

puma Valued Member

So a meteoric rise to Europe's No1 pressure point man then!

8. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

The cynic in me is not on Russell's case it's on the case of people who moan at marketing speak - heck there would be no point in being No 2 in Europe - like being the second man on the moon...

Those that can, do; those that can't, bitch on Internet forums.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's not bitching really Robert.
    You put yourself up there as anything and people will question it.
    It's that simple.
    The skeptic in me IS on Russell's because he's making bold claims and trying to make money off those bold claims.
    Asking where he got his knowledge from is a perfectly valid question. Asking what makes him Europe's number one is also valid.

10. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I just get down on people doing it on a forum where (AFAIK) he's not around - if someone has questions then drop the guy an email, phone him up or go visit him...

I went to a Kobudo seminar last Sunday - it was excellent - the instructor was great the material was great - there was ONE paying person there ME and two other instructors who are friends of the one giving the seminar - It seems that more and more people talk on the internet and fewer and fewer actually go out and see things for themselves...

I admit that I may be getting old and jaded...

But, that's what it seems like sometimes...

11. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

I think Russell ran the Bourne Shotokan Karate club in the late 90s.His publicity stated a 2nd shotokan recognised by the Dai Nippon Butokukai Kyoto and later on a 5th Dan in Shotokan. He runs his operation out of the Philippines now and I don’t thing he does ‘public’ seminars anymore but you might be able to get on one if you contact him. However I take Constance of the theme running through this thread that of claims made by martial artists for publicity / marketing purposes. Life has taught me to believe nothing of what I hear, half of what I see and most of what I feel. Prior to the sportification and martial arts becoming marital exercise Japanese dojo’s tended to have the name of the teacher first and then the Ryu. For example the Todo Dojo of something something Ryu. In the UK what became important was the name of the place and style for example the Streatham Wado Ryu karate club.
    Personally putting name of the teacher first followed by the method might go someway to prevent both grade inflation and a bit of guilding of the lily. Maybe Martial artists professional or otherwise should push their name i.e their brand first and their method second and leave the grades out so their method is the focus of quality and like all things in life whether it training in the martial arts or buying a car ‘caveat emptor’ let the buyer beware.

12. puma

puma Valued Member

Good point, but if I paid to go on a seminar and he was a fraud, he's got my money! It should be easy to do a background check on anyone that make claims like he has. The fact it isn't is a little worrying. Surely whoever taught him is the best anyway? If they are still alive of course.

13. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Some thoughts:

Agreed if you went to a seminar and the instructor was unable to do what they had advertised then that would be wrong - in which case 'I' would ask for my money back - also always pay by credit card if possible as that makes getting a refund easier (at least in the UK it does).

Background checks prove very little - a 'good' criminal/con artist/spy/whatever will probably have a great background story.

The idea that the person who teaches someone is better than the person is deeply flawed - who taught Einstein, or Chuck Norris or...

14. puma

puma Valued Member

Everyone learns from somewhere. I wouldn't use Chuck Norris as an example!

15. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Puma, maybe I wasn't clear - obviously someone taught Chuck Norris - but how many people who have heard of Chuck Norris will have heard of his teacher?

16. puma

puma Valued Member

Oh, okay.

17. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

For those who are curious its best to contact Tony Pillage at the Way of the Spiritual Warrior in Coventry.He was one of Russell's top students and now runs pressure point seminars.

18. puma

puma Valued Member

Hmmm. Wasn't he from GKR?

19. B I R C H

B I R C H Valued Member

The Egg Cutter FTW!

Ive seen Russell perform this on many of his videos, its awesome! check it out!

20. puma

puma Valued Member

What's an egg cutter?