Running shoes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Timmy Boy, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I want to start running to improve my fitness for MA. I'm told that you need proper running shoes if you don't want to trash your joints. However, stupid as this sounds, I can't find my running shoes anywhere in the house for some reason and I don't want to use this as an excuse not to do it - I've made enough already lol. If I only run on grass, is it really important to have proper running shoes?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Depends on lots of things, but long term I think it's important yes. Nothing to stop you doing a bit now then picking some up in the sales in the next week or two though.

Mitch

3. rivend

rivend Valued Member

That will be your most important choice the correct shoe. Please take into consideration your history of any ankle problems you may have had. And also make sure you have have a good lateral rear stability shoe with good all around good shock absorption.

4. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I'll say yes, you can go barefoot, build up your distances slowly and get a pair of vibram five fingers instead :)

5. Timmy Boy

Cheers for the responses guys, I bit the bullet and ordered a new pair lol.

6. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

7. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

8. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi again. Another key consideration is what sort of running you do. I highly recommend Fighting Fit magazine (which WH Smiths sell) for brilliant advice and info:

www.fightingfitmagazine.com :cool:

For example, long steady runs will increase your overall endurance. They won't necessarily improve your fitness for martial arts, which requires bursts of explosive energy. Whereas hill running or interval training may provide more relevant improvements in fitness.

This month's Fighting Fit includes an article about the type of running that Joe Calzaghe and Amir Khan used to great effect in training.

9. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I personally like asics brand they really feel good on your feet

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I recommend going along to somewhere like your local sweatshop, which you should be able to find here.

Before I bought any running shoes they put me on a treadmill and filmed me running. The clip was then played back frame by frame and they could see clearly if I was pronating or supinating upon landing. With this information they could prescribe the correct shoes for my running style.

Once fitted you go back on the treadmill and get filmed again.

I paid £80.00, which may seem a lot, but when I saw what angle my ankle was at with my own shoes, well it was worth it.

My tip based on what I tried that day, do not go for what you think is the most comfortable, get fitted.

11. Timmy Boy

As it happens, I ordered some Asics and took them out for a run this morning!

Cheers for the info guys!

12. kingc699

kingc699 Valued Member

I got the Asics Gel kayano just last week very good running shoe