Running in the mornings.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tonyv107, Feb 4, 2011.

1. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Like I say- the criticisms are basically childish.
    Yeah, I'm not totally convinced by it. It's only really one opinion, but it's worth airing it.

3. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I'll have to make another thread on Cross Fit :)

Giovanni, I don't recommend reading too far back into my posts. When I first started here I was even more of an idiot than I am today.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

socrastein...

i think my plan for now is....watch the intake, run 2xweek for 30 minutes, yoga 3xweek for strength and flexibility. actually a really interesting article that knight_errant posted. based on that and many other posts, i think that i'm going to try to do a combination of aerobic and anaerobic, on top of my bjj. see how that goes. but i'm leery of rest periods too.

to address cross fit...is it worth it? or is it just a new fangled fad? i don't know.

5. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

I've heard from few body builders at my gym who prefer walking to running when it comes down to cutting fat.

However, stuff on t-nation gets very confusing when you read more than one article. I've noticed that some stuff written by Christian Thibaudeau conflicts with his other articles sometimes.
    Christian is an advanced athlete...he can probably burn more calories while watching TV than me doing tabata circuits.

My conclusion as to why body builders prefer walking over running or jogging is that they have enough muscle mass, that even just walking at a moderate pace is burning plenty of calories due to energy needed to move those muscles. I find it hard to believe that the same principle would work for us "smaller" folks...

Take what I wrote with a grain of salt...those are my assumptions and I've read A LOT OF stuff written by Thibaudeau and I'm still trying to find answers myself.

6. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Well I spend a good 30-45 minutes walking my dog before work at around 5am. I live in a pretty Hilly( is that even a word?!) area. I haven't noticed any increase in fat burning. But since I've always been a morning guy I do feel like the walks get me warmed up
    For the rest of the day.

7. lma

lma Valued Member

Im gonna use this as my excuse from now on ...

8. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Bodybuilders in general despise cardio work and are paranoid beyond reason about losing muscle tissue. The reality is that the best place to cut is the kitchen. Socrastein made some great points on this thread.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the reality is that nearly every body builder does two things when they are getting ready for a comp, they cut the carbs down and increase the steady state cardio (most fighters do the same if they are looking to make weight as well) , they dont do it because its fun, they do it because on a serious calory deficit steady state cardio is the best way to burn fat off for them (try doing sprints in that state(, studies can be found to say HIIT burns more, or that LSD burns more best to do what works for you

10. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I dunno, fighters have been doing long distance running for hundreds of years as part of their training, it's very important as a martial artist to have that aerobic base. Also it sucks, so it strengthens the mind when you have to drag yourself out of bed and run 5 miles in the cold and rain. Means you will train harder due to your mental robustness. I think a lot of people dislike it simply because they don't like doing it.

11. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I know this is a joke, but many people adopt this and this is why anerobic training has gotten so popular, it's easier to do. Espeically if your by yourself. You just half ass 15 mins of sprint intervals and go home instead of doing a 35 min run where you can easily measure progress with a stopwatch.

12. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

regarding the above comment about bodybuilders preferring walking over running - walking a mile and running a mile both use the same amount of calories. Obviously if you run a mile you do it at a much much faster pace and hence are burning the calories at a much much faster pace - you're also training the muscles, heart and lungs in a much more intensive way. But when it comes down to sheer calorie intake versus calorie output - which is what bodybuilders are really concerned with the last few weeks before a competition - walking does the same job without impacting the training or risking injury. And bodybuilders are prone to muscle injury when doing things like running etc.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

As they near competition, a lot of bodybuilders are so weak from their extreme dieting a brisk walk is all they can really manage without pain, hence why run when you can walk and it'll do the same thing just without as much impact on the body.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  14. righty

righty Valued Member

No they don't. Running the same distance in a short amount of time will burn more calories then walking the same distance but doing a longer amount of time doing it.

That's because running is basically a more inefficiency way for the human body to travel energy wise.

15. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I don't profess to be any sort of expert on the subject or really know why, but that's what most everyone in the industry says.

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Humans are adapted extremely well to walking, so unless you walk at about 5mph (you may as well be running anyway) you're going to burn less calories walking a distance than running. The faster you go, the more calories you'll burn over the same distance.

The idea that they burn the same amount is a myth, and a very common one, but with a moment's thought about it is fairly obviously ridiculous - particularly to a runner.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

17. Maybe there are many roads and many destinations too?
    Where you are on the map has its importance too. :)

Osu!

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

or it could be that T-nation by and large s&cks and is only there to sell suppliments :hat:

19. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

i prefer running at night really, more relaxing.