Running Barefoot!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pitfighter, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just watching that running form video and he's clearly swinging his arms partly across his body when actually running at the end.
    Despite saying not to in the video.

Now I think that's because when running for real the sideways swing of the arms is what helps you change direction. But it does annoy me when people teach one thing and then show something else when actually doing the thing.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Allow me to quote the great Micah True:

“Think Easy, Light, Smooth, and Fast. You start with easy, because if that’s all you get, that’s not so bad. Then work on light. Make it effortless, like you don’t give a Laminaria digitata how high the hill is or how far you’ve got to go. When you’ve practiced that so long that you forget you’re practicing, you work on making it smooooooth. You won’t have to worry about the last one – you get those three, and you’ll be fast.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  3. shootodog

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIT7t2jtdP0]running in central park[/ame]

4. shootodog

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuLn0LNLM5w]form! it's not how fast you run, it's how you run, fast[/ame]

5. shootodog

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFatIwxSvQQ]run tall! it's all about form[/ame]

6. Fusion 1122

Fusion 1122 New Member

Really this is reliable details i like this actually i was in looking for this details and considering to create a line for this but i have no need to create any line after study out this details anyways thanks for this and have a awesome day

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  7. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

I would run barefoot but I live in an urban area so I can't

8. shootodog

why not? i live in the city and i run barefoot from time to time.

9. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

I have a pair of Vibram Komodos and also Fila Skeletoes. The Vibrams are much nice, but also much pricier. I also have a pair of black Merrels that I wear for work functions and for nice/casual things where I don't want to wear the finger shoes. I love them, but I also took my time to break into running with these shoes slowly. I'd run half a mile in them around my neighborhood, and swap into normal running shoes at my house and then go for my longer run. I slowly started increasing distance in the Vibrams and lessening the distance in the regular shoes. I love them and don't plan on ever going back. It is a different way to run, but I prefer it now.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

can i ask, are the fancy vibram shoes (or similar shoes) even needed? if you run properly, you shouldn't be heel striking anyway. didn't vibram just pay out a big settlement because their claims were all proven to be bunk?

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't run on the sidewalk in my actual bare feet. I love Vibrams, but I don't really get them for any of the things they claimed they did. I wore/wear them because I like to lift/walk/run barefoot, but not in an urban environment. They're good protection for your feet really. :dunno:

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

13. Ero-Sennin

The only time I have ever had problems with my shins running is when I wear normal running shoes! Same thing with jumping rope. Any type of endurance work on my feet without being barefoot or wearing the vibrams kill me. It's probably because I have zero arch in my foot (literally) or something. I would be part of the 70% that doesn't care about the findings honestly. It's like anything else, try it out to see if it works for you and if it doesn't, oh well.

Kind of funny that people bought into it as hard as they did though. I knew about the proposed health benefits, but I didn't really care about them honestly. I just liked being barefoot and being barefoot doesn't work well in an urban environment (or in military barracks, god help you if you walk around barefoot there). It's never the equipment that makes you better or prevents injury, it's your technique and fundamentals. Any time any fitness equipment that isn't medical in nature makes claims I go to my normal reaction towards things: "Yeah sure, probably not."

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

it was actually interesting how people fell for it. marketing man, it's powerful.

15. Ero-Sennin

It pays to be cynical. I get told off a lot for how cynical I can be, but at least I'm not a sucker!

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Meh cynical.

They would say that! Serving their own interests no doubt. Typical.

Wait a mo!

17. Ero-Sennin

They are! Trying to be hopeful and believing in good things. Pffffffft. They're just opening themselves up to have their little soles crushed. Tsk, tsk.

18. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

The big thing that I find, is that they are much wider shoes than the usual shoe. For someone who spends most of the time in bare feet, this is good as my toes have spread much wider than people who constantly where shoes. I don't go the vibram route, but I do where minimalist shoes like Merryll. There is a type of cheap sand shoe here called a Dunlop volley which is known for having no support built in and having a very flat (if thick sole) which works just as well. They also have an awesome grip and are commonly used by roofers for that reason.
    Part of the whole barefoot thing is that shoes prevent the muscles of your feet from working because of all the support built into your shoes, which is why people get sore feet when they suddenly go from constantly shoes to constantly barefoot.
    It was my understanding that the lawsuit actually said that Vibram was making unsubstantiated claims rather than the claims actually being proven false? They simply had to show that there was no evidence, not that the evidence was wrong AFAIK.

19. shootodog

All your fancy shmancy gear is for naught without good form. Form first. Form last.

20. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Form is irrelevent if the muscles of your foot aren't strong enough to handle the stress.