Running Barefoot!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pitfighter, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'm thinking of getting the Vibram treksport shoes. They soles are a little thicker which might be good as I run off road.

Any info or idea about them?

What about you lot that tried barefoot shoes? Converts or did they end up in the bin?

2. hext

hext Valued Member

I'm a Inov-8 convert. I have two pairs the x-180 zero drop "barefoot" style (around (£50) I use for track type running and gym (inc. rope climb, box jumps etc.)

but I have the trailroc-235 which has 6mm sole which I prefer for loose ground/ off-road.

I used to use the Vibram 5 fingers, Which are great but the separated toes can get annoying, it appears the perfect tool for plucking daisy heads or small stones and wedging them in between you toes.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I like my VFF Classics, but next time I buy a pair I will go for something with a bit more grip and slightly thicker sole like the Bikila or the Treksport. I find the Classics don't give a secure grip on wet tarmac and running over stony ground can be a little uncomfortable in them.

I bought the Classics because they were on sale, and I wanted to try out the VFFs but didn't want to spend a fortune on shoes that may not have been comfortable.

4. Bozza Bostik

Thanks.

They have the Treksport on sale in an outdoor sport shop behind my house. I'm gonna try 'em on and see what they're like. They have a few other brands there too, so i'll chuck them out while I am there.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I actually enjoy running in my minimalist shoes. I did look at the VFFs for a bit but then decided I would end up blackening my own eye in shame if I wore them. I ended up getting a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes and they are awesome. I genuinely enjoy wearing them for both exercise and casual purposes.

6. Frodocious

Next time I need to replace my day to day shoes I'm thinking of getting the Minimus or the Merrell footgloves. I know a few people who wear them and say they are extremely comfortable.

7. Bozza Bostik

They have Merrell on sale too. I was thinking the same...good to know people like them!

8. Frodocious

I'm frustrated at the moment because I have loads of trainers that are in great condition, so I can't justify buying minimalist ones right now! :(

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Have been running with Fila Skele-toes for some time now. I love them. I have also had NB Minimus. Good on flats. I have also tried running in running sandals like the Mojo Windrunner and have made my own huaraches from discarded rubber mats at cords. I love the feel. Recently was given Brooks Pure Connect for my birthday and I like it but it feels a bit cushy. Nothing beats the feel of bare feet however. I run 1km bare after running 10km shod. It is the best form and stride corrector out there. Basically you cannot have much superfluous movement when you run bare. Any extra movement from the efficient form hurts like hell.

10. Bozza Bostik

My running shoes are ok, but my Adidas ones for knocking about in are wrecked. If the Merrell ones look ok, e.g. Not lime green and red, I can wear them for work.

But do you lot think they keep away injuries and help you run? Or is it all hype? Like everything, there's so many different opinions!

I'm interested in the idea and will give 'em a try either way.

11. Frodocious

Some of the Merrell ones are black, so you could probably get away with them in work.

I can only comment on my personal experience with the VFFs and Nike Frees (which certainly doesn't match a randomised, double blind clinical trial and won't be statistical significant!) :). I started out with too much enthusiasm and gave myself shin splints with the Nike frees and a badly tweaked Achilles with the VFFs. Since healing I've been taking it really slow and easing off the moment anything felt a bit dodgy. One thing I did notice was that after the first run with the VFFs my dodgy neck didn't hurt at all. I always found that running made it stiffen up horribly before that (my neck is now much better though, thanks to my wonderful osteopath).

12. shootodog

Like anything, work your way into them gradually. Your feet are used to cushioning and have not built the musculature for it. Take small steps. Mind your form. Keep your back straight, head held high. Land under hips. Land on your padded forefoot. Run from your gut.

13. Bozza Bostik

Yeah. I intend to. I've read so many comments online by people buying the shoes then running off to do a half marathon and hurting themselves. :rolleyes:

I used to see a running coach, so I know the basic technique, but I can't do it all the time. I'm gonna call him when I get my running conditioning up to scratch.

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Apparently the New Balance is the only minimalist running shoe in wide sizes, which my fat feet require, so based on your endorsement, and this one, I am gonna purchase me a pair.

15. shootodog

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  16. shootodog

Eric Orton is a good resource for running form. He taught Christopher Mcdougall for the first Ultra Caballo Blanco.

l][ame][Url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=J_aqCiziTaw[/ame]

17. shootodog

I took an adidas running shoe and shaved off the heel and most of the padding.

18. shootodog

[​IMG]

something to guide you.

19. shootodog

You could also make your own minimalist shoes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF6aGK5AhpA"]Make huaraches (Tarahumara running sandals) 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CTanEgBkYI"]Make huaraches (Tarahumara running sandals) 2/3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWqOg000-I"]Make huaraches (Tarahumara running sandals) 3/3 - YouTube[/ame]

then run in them

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5AoswAMh6k"]POSE Running in Huaraches - YouTube[/ame]

20. Bozza Bostik

Cheers Shooto. I think I'll be sticking to "normal" shoes for the time being. ;)

So, I got the Vibram Treksport. Not sure if they are a "perfect" fit or not. They seem ok. It took me so long to get the damn things on in the shop, I couldn't be bothered to try other sizes. :)

I couldn't get a pair of Merrells that felt good, I have weird feet. My GF picked up a pair and loves them.

I've been wearing them in the house to get used to them and they seem ok. You don't wear shoes inside here anyway, so I guess I need to get outside in them.