Runners thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seventh, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! I'm dead after running a mile - the idea of doing 26.2 of them fills me with terror!

2. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Congrats SAMA-UK, thats a great effort.

3. SAMA-UK

SAMA-UK the Mr Bean of Wado!

Many thanks. Already signed up for next year - and with an improved training plan and hopefully injury-free autumn/winter I hope to knock a huge chunk off that time.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well done Sama-UK. That's a tremendous achievement.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

congrats

Well done! I've got a fair number of clients in a state of recovery from achilles issues. No small task to safely manage that as you well know. So I find it impressive that you did the marathon without further injury. Happy for that!

The physio will have a keen eye out for all the imbalances caused by the body trying to compensate/protect your achilles. Unfortunately as humans our muscular system is rather entropic... there are no free lunches. :D If one part goes haywire the others will feel it and try to compensate or bear some of the loads and stresses. Fascinating stuff. Granted... less fascinating when you're trying to keep your times good on a marathon! :D

6. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Congratulations SAMA! The marathon is one of those things that's on my to-do list. Wish you the best for next year.

7. andrew89

andrew89 New Member

Well done to all who participated in the 2012 marathon, I am running the great west run on sunday.

I'm not a big runner, I enjoy it but my fiance moans if I am out of the house for too long..along with my training :(

8. niftyniffler

niftyniffler Valued Member

aaaaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (insert rolling round laughing icon here)....

Well done to all who did the marathon - that kind of long distance does not appeal to me so huge kudos to you.

I run - regularly and mainly on treadmill for the sake of my knees that do have early arthritis. On a good day I make 5k in roughly 27minutes which I am pleased with considering I will be 40 next year and haven't been running all my life. I alternate a 5k endurance run with a 20 minute intervals session.

A friend told me about this: I think this would make training more fun and would get me out doors running more but I don't have an iphone. Its the first thing I have seen that has made me tempted to get an iphone.
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/zombies-run!/id503519713?mt=8

Anyone got it or used it? It has good reviews.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

As a general rule I would advise against using an MP3 player, especially for ladies.

It does take away a degree of awareness. If you run on the roads you can't hear the cars, if you run off road, you can't hear what is around the next corner.

Each to their own of course, but for me I like to be alone with my thoughts when running.

10. niftyniffler

You make a very good point there. I should imagine it being quite scary for anyone nuts enough to use it at night but yes - in terms of awareness - not good at all. And no place is safe.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Do you find the treadmill easier on your knees? I hate the things and find them quite punishing! Do you have access to fields or parks where you can run on grass? I found it much more comfortable personally. Plus you get to look at nature rather than walls :)

MItch

12. Frodocious

I'm the same as you. I like to think when I run (and I use the term 'run' loosely, because what I do is more of a lurch/stagger in a mostly forward direction). I only use an mp3 player when doing intervals in the back garden, I don't feel comfortable using one out on the road because I like to be aware of my surroundings and the traffic.

13. niftyniffler

I did a 3 mile road race in March and was surprised how well it went to be honest. I completed in 26minutes roughly despite being sent the wrong way at one point! My knees were no worse for it. When it comes to intervals the treadmill is great because it sets the speed accordingly at the correct intervals - harder to do outdoors. For distance though I suppose could run around the local playing field when it was dry - the weather we have been having lately though I would be practically swimming round it! lol I would feel mean if I didn't take the dog though and she mostly likes to circle my feet and make a game of it. Other than that its really hilly where I live and lots of busy roads. I run the risk of taking on more pollution than a heavy smoker! hehe

14. niftyniffler

I have decided I am with both of you on that one - -- all of which amounts to me not splurging on an iphone - which is probably also good.

15. Frodocious

I quite like treadmill running, because being able to set and monitor exact speed and distance appeals to my inner geek, plus I find it easier than road running - which I'm completely crap at. And with the treadmill I can put music on to take my mind off the agony of running! :)

16. Simon

If you want to do intervals, and where you live is hilly, why not run up the hill and walk down?

The alternative is to run between landmarks, trees, lamp posts etc. Run between two posts, walk, run and so on.

Mitch and I have given a few ideas in before in regard to intervals and fartlek. We also discuss various apps, both on the apple and android platforms.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106486

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I was going to say that your back garden must be huge, until I remembered the length of your legs....

MItch

18. Simon

:happy::banana::happy::banana::happy:

19. Frodocious

I do timed intervals using my gymboss at the moment. I was just about to add hill sprints into my routine before Christmas when my knee started playing up and I'm thinking about adding them in again soon once I'm happy with my knee recovery.

20. niftyniffler

Great ideas - but hills probably about the worst thing I can do to my knees. Walking down a steep hill is enough to jangle them pretty bad and if they are playing up - hills really let me know about it.
    The other suggestion is an option - but I kinda like the treadmill on the whole anyway. Its at the gym and I follow my run with a round of weights training so it works pretty well. Your suggestions perfect for extra training though.

My intervals are currently jogging at 9.4kph and running at 15kph, Walking for me is not an option in training. I love to run.