Runners thread

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular Training' started by Seventh, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

I ran a 7k last month, time was 42:04

2. SAMA-UK

SAMA-UK the Mr Bean of Wado!

Rest week for me this week. No running, no MA. But plenty eating!
    Final preparations for the Brighton Marathon on Sunday. Almost looking forward to it!

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Good luck!

4. SAMA-UK

Thanks, Seventh.
    Third time I've given it a go. Finished both previous events but twice missed out on my 5-hour target! Desperate for a 4hr 59min 59sec this time! Shows that I'm one of the suffering charity runners rather than uber-keen athlete - but just crossing the line is a tremendous feeling! :)

5. SAMA-UK

5hrs 29mins. Missed my target but still chuffed to finish! Tough course and cold, cold wind! But I'm not kidding myself - my training wasn't ideal! Better preparation next year - honest!

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

well done mate!!
    mass respect for doing that.

7. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Just got back into running after a 25 year layoff. I ran a 5K Saturday in 36:10. Not bad for 58 years old, only running about 6 weeds and weighing 250 Lbs.

I'm currently running 3 miles a day at a 13 minute pace. My goal is to bring my weight down to about 220 and my time down to 9 to 10 minute miles. It may take awhile but I'll get there.

8. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Nice one! Truly inspirational :cool:

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Good for you!

In December, I started taking part in an organised 5k run every Saturday morning, and my time is down from 36 minutes and change to about 29 and a half. If I can get it down sub-thirty then I'm sure you can!

I've never been keen on running before, but now I love it!

Best of luck.

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

bad form. do not imitate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGojEyYBmwc&feature=relmfu"]Don't Be That Awkward Runner - YouTube[/ame]

11. Osu,

I am not much of a long distance runner, (and not much of a sprinter any more), but I have a stubborn Achilles tendonitis and I thought that maybe runners would have good advice on how to deal with it. :)

Thanks & Osu!

12. SAMA-UK

I ran a marathon on Sunday - despite suffering achilles tendinitis!
    It's not a quick-fix recovery, I'm afraid. The best treatments are rest, ice, and gentle stretching/strengthening.

I also had six weeks of physiotherapy to get myself in the best possible shape for the marathon - despite being advised against even attempting it.

The physio was mostly massaging around the tendon and surrounding area, using ultrasound, and also putting right other muscular ailments caused by me trying to protect the achilles while still training MA and running!

Rest is best. But I didn't really have that option with the marathon looming and general unwillingness to give up weeks of MA!

Hope that helps a little!

13. Thank you SAMA_UK; Yes, I saw your marathon, props to you! :)
    This thing has been lingering on and off since last October; I did some ultra-sound and electric waves treatment three times (Oct, Feb, and again now), it helps, but it is not healed.

Thank you for your generous advice, and I wish you can heal your tendonitis too :)

Osu!

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've started getting a sore achilles over the last few days, and I'm worried that it might get worse and stop me running. A mate of mine hasn't run for months due to a painful achilles.

What causes it?

15. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I started changing from a heal toe runner to a fore fut runner when I started getting heavier, it wasn't a conscious dessision but whatever, but I experienced painful tendinitis too, rolling after a run (something nice and hard, I used a rolling pin rather than a foam roller) helped, as did ibuprofen jell before running, after a while my body seemed to just adapt.

Don't know if this is similar to what people are going though? Or is it just because your all REALLY old? :evil:

16. SAMA-UK

I'd lob an old icepack at you . . . if my aged brain could remember why!? :confused:

17. More often than not, it is an overuse injury Johnno; either you did too much, or too much too fast.
    Mr & Mrs Davies also list a few trigger points in "The trigger point therapy workbook"

hehehe... it must be the latter I am afraid! ;)

Osu!

18. SAMA-UK

This is the look of happiness you get running a marathon with achilles tendinitis! There may be tears behind those shades, but the pic is taken just yards from the finish line and it's an emotional feeling after 26.2 miles!

Attached Files:

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Congratulations, that's a huge achievement.

Mitch

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Congratulations SAMA-UK.

I don't even like driving 26.2 miles, so I consider that quite an accomplishment.