Runners thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seventh, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You know I hate you both, don't you?! :woo: :mad: :fight1: :hammer: :ninja2: :ninja1: :kick: :lowblow: :fight3: :fight2:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mitch, Frodocious is in denial. I think we all know that.

3. niftyniffler

niftyniffler Valued Member

You and me both - other than the agony part - most days I love it. Its only agony on a bad day for me!

4. Frodocious

[​IMG]

I hate running, I've never been very good at it, but I really need to up my basic aerobic capacity, so i'm currently gutting it out and doing pathetically small distances at pathetically slow speeds. I did manage a sub 10 minute mile a couple of weeks ago, but it nearly killed me!

5. SAMA-UK

SAMA-UK the Mr Bean of Wado!

I have decided to abandon the treadmill and stick to the roads.
    Before my most recent marathon, I used the treadmill far more than in the past - partly to protect an injury. I think it was one of the reasons I fared pretty poorly. After about 16 miles or so, pounding along the concrete was a nightmare.
    This year, barring only the most horrendous weather, I'll be putting in the big miles on the pavement so that come my 2013 marathon(s) I'll be properly conditioned!

6. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I've never been able to stand treadmills, they are just so boring. I used to do quite a bit of 5km running when I was younger but fell out of that in favour of sprints and bike rides. I have just started running again but am doing it in an incosistent speed, light jogging interspersed with 200 meters of 3/4 sprint pace. It stops me from being bored, and is usually the way I ride to. Thats probably the reason I don't like treadmills as it takes to much time to change pace.

7. niftyniffler

niftyniffler Valued Member

Makes total sense to do that - there is a lot to be said for conditioning.
    All the best for the next marathons - I hope we get some better weather for outdoor training because Spring has been a washout so far. I really admire folks who take on that kind of distance.

8. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Recently accomplished an 8:52 1.5 mile run. Woot.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

We've got the Teva Kayak n Run series race 2 @ Discovery Bay coming up!!!

This should be a killer race! 3 km kayak & 5 km trail run & 3 km kayak!! Boom! How can you not like them apples! All in 30 degree + weather and 98% relative humidity! View some of the pics from race 1 in the series here:

http://www.actionasiaevents.com/ind...list&view=details&id=151:teva_dwb_12&Itemid=7

So will be now looking for a partner for this! I did the Bonaqua Mountain Hardware Sprint Series race @ Pak Tam Chung last month and did well considering I hadn't really trained much for it. Awesome trail run, waterfall climb/swim & rock scramble... so this kayak/run/kayak is defo on the plate for next month! woot woot!

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  10. slipthejab

Here's my times and details from the race last month (Bonaqua Mountain Hardwear Sprint @ Pak Tam Chung) and a topo to give an idea of the terrain. My times for the 13k if it were just road racing would be terrible... but if you start to look at the trail and the elevation gains and obstacles then the times make a lot more sense. Now with a bit more planning and some sport specific training I'm sure I can shave a fair bit off that final time.... I reckon I can cut it down to just under two hours!!! More specifically... running the course prior to the date of the race so I can devise a strategy for passing other racers etc.

Attached Files:

11. boards

Are you going to do the running or kayaking part? In that humidity I would rather be the kayaker. At least you might get splashed by the competitors.

12. boards

What elevation were you running at for this?

13. slipthejab

This is a two man team - the kayak seats two - and both people run it as well. So you have to have the mixed skills bag. Which of course its tougher but a whole lot more fun as well!

Good question... I didn't give it much thought - but I just yanked out the topo map and took a look. It starts from sea level... and the first and steepest peak is Tai Cham Koi which sits at 408m above sea level. Not entirely sure where that falls in the scheme of trail running... but I'd say it's a bit more than just moody. There are two such sections that go from pretty much seal level to 400m above sea level. You hit them twice on the way to the check/water point and twice back. Oddly enough... on the uphills and downhills I was able to pass tons of racers. Uphills I did well on (relatively speaking) because most mornings I run three group training sessions (5:30, 6:30. 8:30am) that I run anywhere from 5-10 clients up some pretty steep grades and then tons of pressups, burpees, TRX etc. So I not only have to run them but bark/motivate them up the hills as well. Downhills I just put myself into the mindset of momentum is everything and you can avoid a lot of absolute wrecks and dire crashes if you just keep moving... no time to wreck because you have momentum on your side. It makes no sense... but from my mountain bike days I learned hesitation is responsible for more wrecks than anything. So many guys who are probably stronger runners than myself spent way too much time being cautious... whereas I just had a good old fashioned tear up.

Though before I get ahead of myself here... I was barreling downhills and in my minds eye I was a picture of speed and agility... and then something went tearing past me... all gangley and odd angles... I looked up in time to see a 14 year old kid pass me going downhill and noticed he was wearing cutt of shorts and canvas football shoes! Ahahhahahahaha.... just gone... I couldn't have caught him had I tried! Goes to show you... age catches up. :p

14. boards

Having it as pairs and using a two man kayak sounds brilliant. I've only really done surfskis but coordianation between the two people is essential to good speed.
    Thats a fair rise on the hills, tough sounding run. Your lucky your PT sessions work for you there.
    Haha, love the story about the 14 yr old.:)

15. Frodocious

K-2 (twin) kayaking is great fun, but K-4 is even better - the speed you get up is exhilarating! But you're right, you do need a decent partner for paired. I couldn't race doubles with a friend of mine because our strokes were too different - she's much taller than I am and so her arms (and paddles) are longer.

16. NinjaPlease

NinjaPlease Ninjas always say Please.

Wondering if I should count mowing the law as my cardio today. ;)