Rumble's weight

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Herbo, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Just seen that Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has weighed in at 11 pounds over the weight limit for his middleweight bout against Vitor Belfort. He now has to pay 20% of his purse to Belfort and has to weigh in again on Saturday where he can weigh no more than 205.

I think the weight stipulation is pretty smart from Vitor. It ensures that Rumble can't properly rehydrate as he normally walks around at about 215. Thoughts?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Thoughts?

Johnson is an idiot

In all seriousness there is NO excuse for this

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hasn't Rumble missed weight a couple times before?

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeah quite a few times hes missed it.

Vitor said he's still willing to fight as long as Rumble doesnt weigh in heavier than 205. Some said he shouldnt be weigh in more than 200. Already being nearly a stone overweight.

Will be interesting too see what the punishments will be

5. Southpaw535

I'm hoping it goes to a catchweight. I'm not sure what Vitor walks around at but making him go to 205 a day before the fight sounds like it'd disadvantage him quite a bit.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Vitor's fists on his chin!

7. Southpaw535

Apparently Rumble's also become the favourite now. May risk my chocolate money on that one

8. Southpaw535

Tiny backstage look
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcjR3TsK4s"]Dana White UFC 142 Vlog Day 2 - YouTube[/ame]

This is really bugging me: Who's the guy with Vitor?

9. Mushroom

Thats Mike Dolce he was a contestant in TUF:Rampage/Griffin. He had a few fights, didnt do very well from what I remember and is now like a diet coach for a lot of fighters who swear by his food/training methods.

Dolce Diet its originally called.

I havent looked into yet, I've got a digital copy of one of his books. From what I gather it really focuses on recipes that usually replaces a certain amount of meat protein with vegetable based proteins (or something like that...I'm not smart enough to read these things...I recieve food on plate, I eat food, end)

With Sozynski now retired from MMA fighting he is also doing his version K-Sos Diet.

10. Mushroom

Oh and the fight is on. Rumble weighed in at 204.2lbs which is now officially a catchweight bout.

11. edudley

edudley Valued Member

What does that mean? I don't understand, sorry.

12. Mushroom

Catchweight is when opponents from 2 different weight classes fight and they weigh "somewhere in the middle". Usually seen in extreme differences in Japan where Welterweights would go up against Heavyweights and the like.
    Though its more just basically a label, stating that this is officially not a fight at "Middleweight" (185lbs) and itll be recorded as such on your fight record.

13. Southpaw535

I thought they put it up to 205?

14. Mushroom

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  15. Southpaw535

Good point, that was the deal in the video I posted. Probably should've remembered that bit :bang:

Weight shouldn't make a difference though. From the video Rumble had to weigh in at under 205 today while Vitor weighed in yesterday and can be whatever he wants to today. If I'm right, then that was handled pretty well I think.

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

17. Mushroom

Haven't watched it. Can't watch it till Monday :(