RPGs...MAP styleee! :D

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by LemonSloth, Feb 16, 2015.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Howdy hey folks!

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that there may be a few MAPpers that like to get their awesome/nerd on sometimes - some of us less secretly than others :p

I've been chatting with one or two MAPers about the possibility of doing a forum based RPG. Due to the constraints of time zones, work loads and the like we'd probably be looking at a text based RPG where the story only evolves when people post rather than say a live streaming event. There's quite a few examples all over the internet and honestly I thought it might be a little bit of fun and silliness. Nothing is concrete yet so if anyone has any ideas or questions, feel free to process them.

So, is anyone interested in having a go? For those of you who might be interested:

Lots of magic or no magic? Mythical creatures or no? Dungeon crawling or something more cognitive? What setting would you prefer (cyber punk, Victorian, fantasy, futuristic, etc)? Do you want to be DM or a gamer? Do you want to write your own text or allow the DM to dictate (based on your decisions) what happens to your characters? How many booby traps is too many? :evil:

2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Martial arts instead of classes? It wouldn't be too much trouble to replace fireballs with chi balls :D

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Stupid idea. I don't know who put that thought into your head.

Magic: No, or low level stuff.
    Mythical Creatures: Yes. Do ninjas count?
    Dungeon or Cogs: Preferably cogs, with a bit of crawling, but not crawling for the sake of crawling.
    Setting: Fantasy (dark) /medieval, HP Lovecraft / CoC, Cyberpunk.
    DM or gamer...Deeeer!!!
    DM dictates....I think, maybe.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i would say dm dictates, any setting is fine but prefer cyberpunk, dark fantasy or space opera, magic up the wazoo, the more creatures the merrier, but something more cerebral would be cool, and the traps depend on the type of boobies.

5. LemonSloth

Will these chi balls be as effective as fire balls though? Also, no touch KO? :thinking: :D

6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I'm not sure I get it and even less sure if I'd be any good but il have a go lol :)

If I suck you can just kill me off and I shall leave you in peace lol

7. LemonSloth

LOL :D

I can see MOD lightning coming down on that one pretty quick :p.

=====

Side question - does anyone particularly care about what kind of rule set we use or have any suggestions for a good one? Does anyone want to be DM? I'll do it if no-one else volunteers but I do like to be a grumpy companion.

8. Fish Of Doom

i have experience with dnd 3.5 and some with pathfinder, but am curious about the type of system used in shadowrun and the white wolf games, so any of those is fine with me.

9. LemonSloth

D&D 3.5 was beautiful, wasn't it?

Would it be too complex for a forum with possible noobs though?

4.0 was a bit smoother and easier but did take out some of the individuality. I also have emotional scars from getting my elven rogue/assassin hybrid class banned in one game.

10. Bozza Bostik

Think we'd have to decide what setting before choosing rules though...wouldn't we? :dunno:

No point picking Warhammer if we end up playing a Star Wars game. You get what I mean.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

RuneQuest. The end. If you never played it you missed out.

What was the question?

Mitch :D

12. Mitch

No. D&D was mostly awful.

13. Fish Of Doom

challenge accepted.

also mitch is a heretic and an apostate.

14. LemonSloth

I reckon with a bit of wangling we could make almost any rule set work within the RPG but some would be much, much fiddlier than others to play with. Though the novelty of having a Skaven clansmen with a jezzail (read: chaos powered rifle) in a Star Wars setting coulld be amusing :p.

And horrible.

That is offensive, good sir! You take that back! :p

15. Bozza Bostik

D&D always seemed a little camp to me. But whatever...I'm fine with anything.

16. Fish Of Doom

by dnd you mean forgotten realms, which is the default artsy fartsy high fantasy setting. dnd is just the ruleset, and you can do some VERY interesting things with it and with creative use of some of the source material (hell, there's always the sourcebooks elder evils, book of vile darkness, heroes of horror, libris mortis, and lords of madnes: the book of aberrations if you want to make a REALLY dark setting).

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

How would travelling and groups playing against each other work?
    Also dice roll - are we just trusting each player to be honest? (totally okay with me)
    are we limiting players to those who join at the beginning of a thread (say a 24 hour cut off before an adventure starts)?
    Would players be dealt random character sheets from the DM?

I've got a Wizard of Oz one written out in DnD style rules.

18. Fish Of Doom

online dice rollers or let the gm roll and/or arbitrarily decide everything

19. Bozza Bostik

No, can't think of anything worse than playing a character you aren't interested in.

Make the character ourselves I think. As long as the GM/group ok it.

20. Mitch

I started gaming aged 9 with Basic D&D. 1977 I think.

A proper RuneQuest campaign brings a level of subtlety and depth of detail that makes D&D look rather ridiculous and condemns Warhammer to the spotty, sweat-stenched depths of Games Workshop hovels where the only laughter is snorts and nobody has ever talked to a real life female lady person.

In my unbiased opinion. :D