Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Pitfighter, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I've been pretty impressed with Roy Nelson lately. I really had wrote him off after he lost to Arvloski but since then he's steamrolled through whoever's been put in front of him. Arvloski meanwhile is in a slump.

In fact this will be Nelson's toughest test since. I just wonder how he stacks up in the deep end of the division. Dos Santos meanwhile hasn't really had to fight off his back. Nelson is one of maybe 5 guys I think can put him there. Then we can see if he has more tools than his fists.

Prolly the fight I'm most amped for the next UFC

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Roy is interesting in that he is not your typical UFC fighter. Started watching him on TUF and was impressed when he actually dropped somebody in the standing game rather than his smothering GnP style.

Dos Santos is a beast. I will be extremely impressed if old Roy can pull off a win against him. That would definitely push Roy toward the top tier of the heavyweaigh division.

3. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

Against anyone else, Junior would have gotten the KO inside of 3 minutes.

Against anyone else, Roy would have gotten the takedown and TKO/submission.

It speaks to the calibur of both men that the fight DID go the distance.

However.
    -Roy has to improve his striking. Yes he has 1-shot KO power, but it requires his opponent to not see it coming AND to have a somewhat weak chin.

-Dos Santos has to start training 1-on-1 with Lyoto and use more head movement and footwork.
    He got caught several times on the way in or out, and I kept wondering when one would tag him for real.
    Same thing happened against Cro Cop.
    He can take a punch, but he shouldn't act like taking a punch is nothing.
    That's how fighters get injured/repeatedly KO'd.