Routine tweak?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ember, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ember

ember Valued Member

I think I'm settling into a routine that works for me and my time constraints:

Sunday: weights
    Monday: cardio intervals, ~30 minutes (longer or adding MA practice if I have time). Currently using the elliptical machine until I get good running shoes.
    Tuesday: MA practice ~1-2 hours
    Wednesday: "off", play with my son
    Thursday: 60 minutes yoga, a few minutes MA cardio if time
    Friday: weights
    Saturday: cardio intervals, ~30 minutes (longer or adding MA practice if I have time). Currently using the elliptical machine until I get good running shoes.

I lift as heavy as I can, one set with 8-12 reps, when I hit 12 I bump the weight up 5 lbs for the next practice and go back to 8. I also park farther out and try to walk more during the day.

My *immediate* goal is getting ready for a tournament October 12 (3 different forms, breaking, three techniques, then sparring. There's usually not a whole lot of women my age and rank, so sparring has often only been 1 or 2 three-minute rounds. So focus has been on forms.).

Long-term I'm still working on weight loss (and yes, I'm working the diet angle too) and need to improve my cardio. I'm thinking when I get the shoes, I'd like to start training for some 5k's.

Would tabata's help? Which days would be better to fit those in? Do they need a recovery day?

Any other thoughts on things I could do?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

tabata always helps. I'd warm up to it with intervals - 20 seconds work and 40 seconds rest, removing 5-10 seconds from your rest periods every week. You will probably need recovery time when you first start, but after a few weeks, you won't need it.

3. ember

ember Valued Member

Thanks Yohan.

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What kind of weights routine are you using? What lifts do you normally do?

5. ember

ember Valued Member

Right. You would ask that ;)

I'm using Life Fitness Pro2 machines. They've got a computerized setup that shows me my settings right there, and tracks my reps range of motion. It also rates the form (beeping if it's too fast), but I'd have to go online to see the %.

Here's from Sunday:
    Chest press: 95 lbs / 9 reps
    Medium Grip Lat Pulldowns: 85/10
    Seated Row: 105/9
    Shoulder Press: 50/9
    Bicep Curl: 100/10
    Tricep Extension: 90/8
    Seated Leg Press:
    -- machine was broken this time.
    Leg Extension: 95/11
    Leg Curl: 120/12
    Abdominal Crunch: 130/10
    Back Extension: 245 / 8 (just bumped it up this time, it had been 240 before)

And that usually has my muscles shaking by the end.

I maxed out the seated leg press months ago. 390 to 400 lbs, 3 sets of 12 reps.
    I'd asked at the time about doing free weights, and that trainer suggested adding sets instead. So I need to ask again, and be more insistent this time. I'll probably ask one of the woman trainers this time, she seems more knowledgeable.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008