Router Issue: In need of help before it goes out the window

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by sn11, Feb 24, 2008.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Hello members of MAP!

I have made my return to the glorious forums of MAP after a long break and i have an issue.

My router has decided to stop working and i have found no method of fixing it.

My router is a Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G Router. My Operating system is Vista.

My issue is that once the router is plugged in my internet is gone.

On msn i recieve this error code: 800727ee7 which i have googled and found nothing of help.

I've tried an ipconfig to find that i don't have a default gateway, heres the kicker: I can't access network properties OR my control panel it just crashes; after asking my college teacher about this problem i was told its just a bug with vista that happens if you have any programs installed that were created before vista and thus they don't gel very well.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

:Note:

When my router isn't plugged in i have a full internet connection. I have also tried pushing the reset button on the router.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Not to sound like an idiot or anything but are sure the issue is the router? I haven't heard any comments from Vista users such as your teacher describes. I would see if I could borrow another router from someone, or just plain buy a new one, to check and see if the issue is the router itself. I know our first wireless router made it about 2 years before it gave up the ghost....

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

All the reset button on the router does is clear your settings stored internally within the router.

Is this an ADSL or DSL variety? I don't know much about ADSL since I don't use it. I have cable. But the DSL version can be used without any Windows drivers at all. It's just plug and play. It might be worth a try uninstalling the drivers for the router. Set your internet connection to DHCP. Reboot and give it a try.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

nascarage do a quick search. The tech forums are full of similar complaints.

5. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Well he officially hates vista and used it for a week so i'm not sure but i do know that i and a few friends who have vista have the problem of not being able to access the control panel.

I'm fairly sure its the router as when the router is taken out of the equasion i have full internet access but as soon as i use it it won't work.

However, i tried reinstalling the disk i got with the router, and it said that my OS isn't compatable or something along those lines. Which i now remember it said before when this problem happened before.. But i left it unplugged for a day or so and it fixed itself?

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

When I went from XP to Vista...I had no internet connection using my wireless router.

Using another computer, I downloaded (from the router manufacturers website) a vista upgrade and installed it.

Since which (touch wood,) I have had no problems. :D

7. narcsarge

I tend to avoid the tech forums as my learnin' goes back to Basic and Fortran programing. Not todays stuff. :D Besides, the folks on them nowadays talk way above my head!

psym0n; I understand what aiki is asking but I too on have knowledge of DSL. If you have narrowed it down to the router and you are set with using and maintaining Vista as your OS, then try just replacing the router with a compatible one to your OS. Routers are not that expensive ... (I say that from someone that is no longer a starving college student) :D

Carys makes an excellent suggestion too. I would think Belkin would have something for you... You may have to actually call them as their On line help has not been too helpful in my dealings with them (We have 6 Belkin Boxes here at work) Grrrrrrr!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Try 192.168.2.1 in your browser and see what the router has to say.

9. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I was actually considering buying a new router, which i assume may be the best choice? I did actually think it could be something vista related.

I did originally try and downgrade back to XP on my vista computer, but i got an error message about the ethernet card when i did.. So i got confused and put vista back on :D

This coming from a computing student says it all! lol, roll on june when i don't have to delve inside computers again! :)

10. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I tried that! it used to work... But now it doesn't when the router is and isn't plugged in i get the same page can not be found thing, theres multiple ones for different routers i think three in total. very confusing stuff lol

11. narcsarge

Microsoft is MACROevil! Bill Gates will rule the interzweb and we, the children of Zion, will be forced underground....

Oh wait!

Matrix snap there! Sorry...

Vista has several compatibility issues with some older peripherals and programs. From what I hear, as w/ most O/S's, you either love Vista or you hate it.

12. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I actually heard that microsoft admitted they're "hackers" when it comes to programming the software they create.

Hackers meaning they just hack up old coding and throw it all together and hope to god it works.

As i heard XP service pack 2 was created by a non microsoft company and just bought and implemented by them.

13. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I'll buy a new router so now the question:

Anyone recomend a good one? :rolleyes:

14. narcsarge

I'z got me on kinda like dis one:

[​IMG]

It is a Linksys but not sure what model though

15. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Mine is Sitecom...and I'm happy with it. :D

16. Moi

I've just thought this happened to me last week, drove me mad for an hour. It was a Vista update last week. Try turning your firewall off.

17. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Tried... Hopeful...Crash and burned lol.

i'll buy a new one tomorrow, this is not worth the stress! lol.

Linksys' i've heard of.. might look into that, lets hope the curries.digital store workers are more helpful than last time i went in.

Bought a printer, got it home it had no cables. Went back "oh yeah urm no cables come wiv it, i erm didnt no one tell you" :woo:

18. narcsarge

This might help if you're a comparison shopper:

Rating Routers

If not, stick with known quantities:

Linksys
    Belkin
    D-link (though I have no experience with them)
    Netgear (These make me a bit nervous as I have had some hit or miss issues)

19. Moi

I'd turn back your updates to the end of Jan, I still think they did something to Vista this month.

20. Moi

It's a pity you're so far away, I've 2 brand new BT1800HG routers here, nice ISP sent me 2, I've only just bought a netgear.