Rousey vs. McMann, predictions?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Dec 30, 2013.

1. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Depends what kind of film and if she's any good at it. You noticed Randy Couture or Gina Carano rolling in Tom Hanks money recently?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Probably both. If a fighter is in the frame to co-headline against a contender then he should get paid as such.
    If he's not at that fighter's level then chances are he shouldn't be fighting that man (and this was the case against Cormier).

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the ability to promote one's self is kind of lame in how it contributes to their pay day. It's more understandable in Boxing, but I feel like a fighter shouldn't have to do that when they're working under an organization like the UFC. You could potentially have a numbering system in an org. like that, where there is certain pay for fighting for the #8 spot as well as the #90 spot, and the winner's bonus gets computed by a % based off of how much interest the fight(s) generated (obviously this would apply much more to the top 10 in a weight class). If two fighters are trying for the spot, same base pay. If one guy is defending a spot, maybe 10k more in the base pay or something.

I have a hard time feeling interested in a fight where one guy is seen as an 8k man and the other an 80k man. To me that's indicative of their fighting ability, but it also tells on how they promote themselves as well.

4. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

if i wanna see a fighter do acting i will re watch some old VanDamme movies

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I don't think Rousey would need to make millions to lure her away from fighting. Making even close to what she did for UFC 170 would do it.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Randy has a net worth of 14-17 million and was paid 250k for the first Expendables and probably more for the second

7. Hannibal

8. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Sara's comments in this video re-enforce what Van and I felt about the fight. She felt it was a bit early so far as stoppage. She didn't feel paralyzed. Etc. Being as how she was the person who was hit, I think she would know. And she doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would lie about it. She also said she didn't feel any head shots after the fact which kind of confirms what Van and I said about the useless punches that Rousey threw for the brief time she was on her knees. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdQks6XhGMM"]Sara McMann Got Her Bearings Back After Hitting the Ground (UFC 170 Post Fight) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I disagree that fighters are the best ones to judge if they are out of it. Often, they are in no position to judge it for themselves. Their very competitive nature won't let them admit they were defeated sometimes.

Also, McMann also stated after the fight that it was her own fault for how she reacted in the ring.

10. Combat Sports

That was her being a good sportsman. That doesn't mean she wasn't robbed.

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I know I'd like to see a rematch, but I think that was more because the fight was over so quickly and I would have liked to see how McMann and Rousey were going to roll with each other after the initial burst.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

robbed? She got mauled in the clinch for a minute and dropped so hard she face planted on the floor unable to protect her self from head shots......yep that's daylight robbery alright

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Robbed and robbery have become really meaningless words over the last couple years.

14. aaradia

I don't find it logical to point to part of what she says to prove a point, but then discount other things she says........

15. aaradia

I totally agree! Anytime there is a close fight, people call it a robbery nowadays.

It is used so often, it HAS become meaningless.

Robbery, Nam Pham vs Lenard Garcia. Perfect example of a robbery to me.

16. Combat Sports

And I still think the idea that she got "mauled" yet didn't have a mark on her is ridiculous. Along with your suggestion that she face planted. Seriously man, ridiculous.

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

She did face plant more or less. Also marks don't mean a thing. And on top of that most of the mauling was body attacks so I'm not sure what marks you expected to see.

18. Hannibal

Replace "mauled" with your favourite synonym for "dominated" instead

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I've seen people need surgery for blows they don't remember. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

face planted....what else do you call it when someone collapsed on their face...??now what is ridiculous is someone hating on a fighter so badly that they can't see that a title fight which lasted about a minute and ended up with one person planted face first on the mats after eating countless knees in the clinch wad actually a one sided fight and not a robbery...