Rosetta Stone Language Course

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Estrix, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

My wife currently speaks five or six langauges including english (I'm still working on english lol). Anyway she now wants to add an arabic based language to her list. I've been around google a bit and seen these Rosetta Stone language courses, but they are quite expensive. I was wondering if anyone had used them before? And what their experience with them might have been? Or indeed if you know of any better courses?

I relaise of course that finding a native speaking tutor would be best, but that is proving problematic at the moment, hence the exploration of this particular avenue.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

In my opinion, Pimsleur is better.

3. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I found a few people on Google saying that. Is there any particular reason why?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Move to Blackburn. You'll have no problem finding native Arabic speakers there.

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I used to worry about learning languages in my younger days. Now I've travelled so much that I realised the futility for a native english speaker. Unless you intend to live in a country, there is little point. Everywhere now speaks english and usually to a good standard.

The Bear.

6. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

While this is true, I've found in my travels that people tend to be somewhat more friendly if you make an effort to speak at least a little bit of the language. The number of friends I've made in Mongolia with just a few simple phrases is quite amazing.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I'll second that, I'm terrible at languages but I've managed to pick up some basic Japanese and a little Vietnamese using Pimsleur. It has a very natural progression to learning phrases which build up your understanding of the language slowly while reinforcing what you've already learned as you go.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Never found that. Generally people are friendly everywhere except England. :D

The Bear.

9. embra

embra Valued Member

Some of the worst spoken English on the planet is spoken in England e.g. Cockney-isms.

10. embra

embra Valued Member

I cant say that learning Languages has been a waste of time for me - without speaking reasonable French I would not have acquired my current contract (which can end at any time, such is the volatility of the world now - but it pays the bills) - and as I didnt work much of last year, I am very greatfull for this gig, inspite of its many problems.

11. forero

forero Valued Member

Your wife has been learning 6 languages, surely she doesn't need a programme to tell her how to learn a language?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  12. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I am learning Spanish and Japanese and I definitely second Pimsleur; however, I also suggest that you use multiple learning tools. No single one tool will be perfect in every aspect, and by using more then one you will avoid becoming weak in a certain area.

I really like Pimsleur and Living Languages because I can actually hear a native speaker saying the words and conversations. That helps me immensely.

I use Living Languages, Pimsleur, and a few other books for my Japanese study. For Spanish, I use Learn Lingos, Pimsleur, and also various books.

13. Quincyma80

Quincyma80 Valued Member

Stewie meets Cockney Eliza Pinchley

Which of course triggers this Family Guy comedic moment - "One If by Clam, Two If by Sea" was the fourth episode of the third season - as Stewie teaches proper English pronunciation to a British girl:

Stewie after listening to Eliza's Cockney accent:
    "Heavens, you don't so much speak the language as you chew on it and spit it out."

Then acting like Professor Henry Higgins:
    Stewie Griffin: (slowly) The life of the wife was ended by the knife.

Eliza Pinchley : (Cockney accent) The loif of the woif was ended by the knoif.
    :D

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2leixHIpU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2leixHIpU[/ame]

OP: You can download any program off of the internet or find any language program on a free site. Welcome to the internet.

15. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

I speak a couple of languages and as work has offered 1 language on Rosetta Stone for free, am taking another. I can't compare with Pimsleur, but can say that it's certainly a good way to hear a language. RS builds sensibly (though unsurprisingly starts with annoyingly child-friendly sentences - like school level, being able to say 'the bicycle is green' before, 'I'll have an orange juice/beer please' suggests unusual motives for learning a language).

If I didn't have access to a native speaker as well though, I wouldn't be clear on some things. (Not sure if the purchased version also has a book, we just get what's online.) So it's very good for learning to pronounce correctly, and builds at a good rate, but I think you need something else - textbook, more writing tasks, and preferably some feedback - maybe there's a language exchange near you - my English for your Arabic, 1 hour per week or something.

With extra support, very good
    Without, probably not good enough, unless you get a hefty reduction from the normal asking price.

16. embra

embra Valued Member

Then of course, there is aslo the converse (1980's Sloan ranger learning to pronounce Cockney correctly) - which just goes to show that language in its many variant forrms is always interesting to learn and appreciate, no matter the context.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz9_YfIQaz4"]YouTube- Heineken commercial - Water In Majorca[/ame]

17. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I used to know a French guy who learned English from a tutor with a strong Yorkshire accent. His English was fine but he had the craziest accent I've heard since.

18. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Sorry for the long time its taken me to reply...I was in the Gobi and they've never heard of the internet as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the various comments and advice, I'm going to check out RS and Pimsleur. Will hopefully have more feedback on whichever system we go with in a few months.