Ronda's mom on Edmond as a coach...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

For a long time I have told people that I had a suspicion that Edmond is a terrible coach. Without fail it seems like every fighter he has ever trained starts to lose their ability to protect their face. Almost without fail their striking defense goes down instead of up. It has been true with Bazler and Duke (who thank god recently stopped training with him.) and Marina Shafir, and Manny who did manage to win his last fight that I saw but got rocked several times. It's like their faces become punch magnets. Ronda gets away with it because she has a serious chin. But... apparently I am not the only one who thinks he is a terrible coach.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-mom-blasts-daughters-coach-in-scathing-video

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

She may very well be right, but I feel bad for RR. Being caught between the loyalty of family and the loyalty to her coach...................

When loved ones/ friends don't get along with each other and you are caught in the middle, it isn't fun.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The thing is, Rousey is so far ahead of the competition, there is no pressure on her to move camps. If the division was snapping at her heels, she might feel the need to move to Colorado or Florida, but honestly, her mom could be her striking coach and she'd still win.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Beyond the well discussed start to their relationship, she's not actually made any specific complaints.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I don't think anyone who saw them on TUF came way thinking Edomond was a good coach. He just happens to have an incredibly talented fighter. The idea he's pretty bad I don't think would be a shock to anyone

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I didn't watch that tuf, is it his skills, his coaching ability, his approach to coaching?

7. Combat Sports

The fighters he coached with Ronda on the show for the most part did not do so well. Ronda won the fight at the end of the show but Team Tate did far better across the board.

That was when I started looking at him more closely. Ronda herself has striking defense that really depends on her chin. She gets hit far too often in the face. And I noticed this same trend with every single fighter who spends time in that camp. Duke, Bazler, Shafir, etc. Other fighters who have went to that camp as the article describes also do not seem to be doing well at all.

What it amounts to is this. Ronda's success has nothing to do with Edmond. And if anything is happening IN SPITE of Edmond.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ronda could have Ashida Kim as her coach and still retire unbeaten.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Good point!

Duke has gotten worse! I am a big fan and expected her to do well in the UFC, but she hasn't. She, for sure, needs to train elsewhere. Somewhere that teaches her to use her range properly.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

All of it. Specifically the only thing I can remember is thinking his pad work on TUF and at open workouts looked sloppy. For a fighter of Rousey's calibre it wasn't involved or complex enough. She doesn't need to be whacking out spinning kicks all day, but I just remember the pad holding not looking up to scratch.

Otherwise it was all general feeling. I have a vague understanding of what good coaches at the ufc level look like and I know what it is about my own that makes him awesome for me. You watch Edmond do just about anything and he seems like someone who should be coaching amateurs and preparing for small time shows. There's nothing wrong with that being the limit of coaching either. Its more than I can do. But he doesn't in any way look like he's on the level Rousey needs to improve. His advice in corners I remember finding lacking as well but I can't remember any specifics.

And as other have said there's a noticeable decline in the women who transferred over to his camp after TUF.

11. Combat Sports

Duke and Bazler are both training with Barnett now. Duke did lose her last fight but working with Josh on Catch Wrestling has given Duke some really competitive submission skills. Her last fight was really close and I hope they give her another shot as she was a completely transformed fighter.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Hasn't bazler always been a student of Barnett?

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

14. holyheadjch

She has a 3 fight losing streak (including a first round TKO) and has never beat a half decent fighter. If she was a man, the UFC would have cut her before she made it back to the locker room on her last fight.

15. Combat Sports

...and? I didn't say she was not on a losing streak. I said her last fight was very close and that she showcased new skills. I think your sexist assertion is off base considering they didn't hesitate to cut Bazler. She didn't get cut because her last fight was highly competitive. Her opponent was saved by the bell while caught in a submission. Bazler got cut because her last two fights were not competitive at all. She looked like a walking heavy bag against Bethe, and then got shut down painfully by Nunes.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  16. Combat Sports

Yes.

But she was training with Edmond and the Rousey camp post TUF 18. And you can watch her skills degrade the longer she was there.

17. holyheadjch

Did you watch the fight? She got dominated in the first two rounds and her (not very good) opponent gassed out in the third. She has never beaten a good fighter and has lost to several very average ones - unranked men don't get a forth shot at a first UFC win, so why should Duke?

18. Combat Sports

Yes. I watched the fight. Do you have to be so personal and demeaning in every single post?

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

A general Mod warning to EVERYONE! Drop the sniping at each other please. Thank you.

20. holyheadjch

I'm sorry, when did I make it personal?

It is a fact that she was dominated in the first two rounds against Phillips. It is a fact that Elizabeth Phillips, Bethe Correira and Leslie Smith were all unranked bantamweights at the time of their fights with Duke. And I cannot remember a time when a male fighter went 0-3 against nobodies and was kept around.

Where am I wrong here? Can you find an example of a man who was kept around after such an appalling start?