Ronda Roussey's Last MMA Fight

Discussion in 'MMA' started by theposter81, Sep 4, 2015.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

True, but still, i tend to feel that rule gets more applicable the bigger the athletes, and female athletes top the scales out at 145, and to be honest, watching people at that weight and below, you tend to marvel at the technicians.

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'd agree with that. I love watching smaller, lighter folk fight (same is true with boxing IMO). Sure the heavier guys tend to hit harder, but it's just not as thrilling to watch.

3. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

I predict she will be defeated by Holy Holm, but we may be able to change that.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Predictions have to come out before old son...what you are doing is commenting on something that has happened

5. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

On the topic of women's MMA vs. Men's MMA:

I can think of a handful of women's fights that I was bored by. I can think of DOZENS of main event men's fights that made me wish I could get the last 30 minutes of my life back.

The girls are bringing it, the men spend entirely too much time leaning on the cage, and lying on the canvas.

I have watched Joanna Champion (115 UFC Champion) fights over and over again because they were that good.

I watched DC vs. Jones and had to suffer through it because to be blunt it was a terrible fight.

Maybe it's because they feel they have more to prove. But whatever it is women's MMA is a hell of a lot more entertaining to me.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its a numbers game as much as anything...fewer fighters means fewer fights and fewer fights meams fewer chances for a stinker

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

But that would also mean fewer chances for a good fight!

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It’s the same reason why the lightweight men categories are more entertaining, they are lighter, quicker and more technical, they don’t gas as quickly and have to rely on speed and technique over brute strength
    But they can also go the distance more often than not which is why everyone watches the boring heavier weight classes because you get the holy grail of MMA and sports fighting in general, a knockout at any moment

But it also is a numbers game, the UFC and invictus had a small stable of female fighters, which means only the best get signed, and its harder to get cut if you loose, at to that its a fledgling sport and they are eager to prove themselves and have little fear of losing and getting cut, in the mens divisions there are way too many indifferent fighters signed to make up the numbers, and in the UFC as opposed to say Japan if you win but are boring you get another fight, generally if you fight entertainingly but lose allot you will get cut, this makes for cautious fights especially when you get to middle weight and over because make a mistake and you get knocked out and bye bye contract

9. Combat Sports

I think I could go my whole life without watching a Heavyweight UFC fight again. There are some exceptions but they are exceptions. The opening match at the last UFC was one of the absolute worst MMA matches I have ever seen.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Hmm, I wonder if your own size reflects your preferences. I'm a 6'3" heavyweight and I love a good heavy or light heavy fight.
    Yes bad heavy weight fights with no accuracy where they gas early are bad to watch, but so are lightweight fights where no one can get a dominant position and no one manages to hurt each other.

11. Combat Sports

I am 6'2. And large myself. The issue is not that I have a problem watching big competitors. The UFC just seems to have guys who have no concept of cardio being important. And way more "lean and pray" then other divisions that I have seen. (Lean and pray being let me push you on the cage and hold you there with minimal effort put into actually doing anything because I am trying to make you tired instead of fight you.)

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Or its likely they are tired due to a mixture of their competitors being so good (as the UFC is the premier league of MMA), and adrenaline dump, as their fighting in the premier league of MMA.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Sounds like good stratedgy to me. Winning using the opponent's force against them.

Yeah, there are a lot of fighters who seem to have poor cardio. However that could also be due to the crazy amount of weight-cutting that some of them do, which weakens fighters the night/day before.
    Mix that in with atmosphere, anxiety and pressure to perform and you get (as above) adrenaline dumps.

I can go quite hard and non stop in a 2hr class. Aching at the end but happy, but I remember being in my last Wrestling match which was 2x 3min rounds and I was wheezing at the end (had to have 6 matches in total). Of course, I'm no athlete though.

14. Combat Sports

Leaning on someone on a fence is not using their force against them.

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've spent months working on cage control. Is it exciting to watch? Maybe not. Is it technically difficult to people who know what they're seeing and require a decent amount of energy and skill from both sides? Yes.

Mma's a sport. If I can pin you to the fence and you can't do anything about it, well, that's your problem. Pinning and doing absolutely nothing is a reffing issue. Pinning and working with strikes, even if they're not going to be fight Enders, is a legitimate strategy.

From a fighters perspective if you can do it then you know you're winning on the scorecards. And to quote my coach, never be mad at winning the fight.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

God damn I hate people that fight like that. By all means take someone down and do damage, but pinning against the cage for three rounds should warrant a lifetime ban from the sport. Good luck using that strategy your whole career.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

didnt do randy any harm :)

Cage work is actually what makes MMA unique, other sports have stand up striking and throws (sanda, thai etc), some even have ground and pound (sambo), but no other sport has cage work

18. Southpaw535

Haha work your cage defence then buddy ;)

Its perfectly possible to pin someone to the cage and still be doing damage or working to make them make a mistake you can capitalise on. Its a perfectly legitimate strategy within the rules and at this point is an important aspect of the sport.

Working someone against the cage, even if you're not permanently dropping for doubles, is not the same as wall and stalling. Whether people agree with me on that really depends on whether they think Fitch or Sonnen were lay and pray fighters.

19. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

Winning using legal means is just that, a legitimate strategy.

Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it as a spectator though.

20. Southpaw535

Course not mate. I'm just defending the only way I can win fights :p