Ronda Roussey Great MMA Fighter or Lousy Actress?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by theposter81, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You know what film I'm waiting for..........

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ1PDIG9Hgk[/ame]

I mean it's got Ryan Reynolds as me, guns, regular 4th wall breaking and bad puns........ What more could you ask for......

Oh and Gina Carano from the UFC acting like its Shakespeare....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Like, i won't be surprised if it's terrible, but i'm totally gonna watch it anyway.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Has any athlete ever turned out to be a top notch quality actor/ actress? Because I can't think of any.

OP, you again seem to only want to talk movies. Do you care about MA's at all? Because watching Rousey dismantle her opponents is pure beauty and artistry to a MAist.

But people tend to want to complain about the negative and tear down another successful person, rather than enjoy their strengths.

Rousey got female MMAists into the UFC. Rousey has reached into the mainstream and brought in people to watch the UFC with great success. She is one of the UFC's top draws right now. She has a perfect record. Only one opponent has even gone past the first round. If she wants to cash in on her fame and get some extra recognition and money without the best acting skills, so what?

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I wouldn't call it artistry exactly, i mean, it's basically her railroading her way into the clinch, using her punching power to either get there, or make up for the times she can't, she's hardly the female mighty mouse or something.

As for athletes who became actors, does Arnold count, cause like, i think he should, while he isn't necessarily gonna win an oscar anytime soon, he was at one point the biggest box office draw in history, that and the fact remains, he is Arnold.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The Rock

6. aaradia

And I was a fan, but let's face it - he never was a great actor skillwise.

Still, he probably comes the closest. to what we are talking about.

So, that makes one. Any others?

Edit - the Rock. Ok. again passable actor. Not great. that makes two. Interesting.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

There was that guy in he got game, granted, he acted just once.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Entertainment crosses over all around different mediums. That's the business.
    Rowdy gets films because of her current appeal.

Look at people like Batista, a Pro-Wrestler, a few fights and now is in the new Bond movie and Marvel franchise.

On the other side...everyone knows who is Manny Paquiao right? Hands up here has seen his long string of movies.
    The one where he pretty much plays Rambo. No?
    How about the Superhero one where he wears a Power Rangers outfit. No?
    This is one of the best fighters in the World, but no one knows any of his projects. Why? Because they are pretty much solely left in his home country because they know he won't make it as a actor in the Western media.

That's just the same as when Actors go into other mediums such as singing/rapping (ScarJo, Hugh Laurie, Jamie Foxx etc).

They either do well or they don't. For some reason though, everyone thinks that acting is the easiest thing to do. It easily gets the most exposure but its hard as hell.

Back when I did some acting and the odd stunt work, I immediately thought..."man, I'm not getting into acting at all without any lessons".

Should Rowdy stick to fighting? Most likely, but when she has such a running appeal right now, her Manager is going to throw her into as many projects as possible

9. Hannibal

Define "good" though.....

The Rock has exceptional charisma, delivery amd comic timing and makes his characters work. The only thing that limits him is he is a 270lb 6'5" black samoan.....this does not open up a lot of roles outside of action and comedy

I am loath to admit it but OJ had excellent comic timing in The Naked Gun series, bu as a bit part that is hard to be definitive about his actual ability

Roddy Piper was good in "They Live!" but horrible in pretty much everything else he did, but is that him or the directors?

Vinny Jones was good but as he only plays Vinnie Jones - excpetion being midnight meat train - that is also difficult to judge

Rampage was great as BA Baracus...but basically played Rampage

10. aaradia

Hmmm, I just thought of one myself. Jet Li started off with many years as a Wushu Champion. And he is my favorite Martial Arts actor. But I think he only does MA movies. Still, love several of his films!

11. Hannibal

Jason Statham was an olympic diver

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This guy used to be a Sunday School teacher before going into the (short) movie business.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxldA892uf8"]Combat Training Distance - YouTube[/ame]

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Mongo, despite being only a pawn in the game of life, played for the Detroit Lions for a decade.

14. Mushroom

You kind of answered your own questions there.

I would say, think of acting skills like MA skills. Certain people are strikers, some are grapplers, some can do a mix and some get through via sheer toughness.

Its the same in acting I guess. You got your comedians, the dramatics and the action. Some try to cross genres and don't do well (Steve Guttenburg going action...remember that?) and some do great (Robin Williams: Worlds Greatest Dad, Insomnia, 1hr Photo).

Not every actor can go for every role. (which is a completely different can of worms)

Jet Li was pretty much groomed to where he is. He was a relatively good looking man, great MAist and was actually an OK actor.
    China does this a lot, with their Wushu Champions, but how many has been there at his level since and before?

Jackie Chan, people forget that he IS an actor. He is theatre/opera trained with circus skills (which is the norm for Chinese Opera).

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If Ronda wasn't an awesome actress, why would she be starring in the film of her life.......

Unless I've missunderstood the press release?

Edit - I think it's a comedy as there's a pun in the title!

16. Mushroom

It depends on who is behind the project. Although its about her...the Producers, Writers, Directors, Editors and Studio will be behind the work. Won't be surprised that she will be placed into acting classes as well as acting coaches at her side.

Audiences are a fickle lot anyway. If they made the movie with a different actress playing Ronda, folk will say

"Well, why can't she play herself?"

and in this case people are already saying

"She can't act, get someone else"

internet.

Personally, about 20 years too early to make this movie about her. Probably better off doing a long old Documentary with re-enactments.