Ronda Rousey Boo'd on weigh ins!!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ShadowHawk, Dec 28, 2013.

1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

This is why I quoted you:

Ignoring the fact that judo is a sport MA and not TMA, it's a commonly held belief that MAists are somehow supposed to be these disciplined, silent warrior monks from the movies. It's fantasy. And no, you didn't bring up soldiers, I did. The personality traits of elite soldiers and elite combat sport athletes have some crossover. I explained as much in my post. And just like the fantasy of the silent warrior monk that many people believe MAists should aspire to, many people also believe that elite soldiers should aspire to the same virtues and remain "unseen" beacons of discipline and virtue for children to role model after. In both cases it's a societal expectation that consistently fails to align with reality, that is why I was drawing the comparison.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why? She's already beaten Tate in the first round. What will tonight's performance tell you that you didn't already know?
    Dana wants her to lose this fight or for her to win by a narrow margin because he wants to be able to put them together again for a third time. If Rousey dominates Tate, he loses a major rivalry.

What do you think Dana thought when Weidmann KO'd Silva? Do you think he thought 'oh no, my most bankable fighter just lost a fight' or 'RE-MATCH BABY - KACHING!!!'

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Where it entered MA is debatable, but many modern MA schools do teach respect, discipline, humility and other similar traits. That isn't fantasy.

And I have seen it affect young kids and turn them into better human beings because of it.

It doesn't always fail to align with reality.

That it came from the Shaolin Monks is doubtful. But it is a part of MA for some of us. Be it a modern incarnation of MA or an older one.

Again, listen to some interviews by GSP where he talks about his traditional influence making him who he is. Again, not fantasy.

It isn't confined to MMA or other fighting either. You see it in other sports. You know, the heels and the nice guys. Teams have persona's. Like my Chargers (good) and the Raiders (bad).

Heck, it isn't even confined to sports. Most all of us are taught values and what is considered good or poor behavior by society.

4. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

She got booed in the end and showed to be a poor sport ignoring Tate's hand.

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^I was shocked at all the boo's from the crowd in the actual event!

Not so much shocked, as pleasantly surprised

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm surprised Yamasaki bothered asking them to touch gloves

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The only thing a crowd of people love more than someone to cheer is someone to boo.

Tate offered Ronda the chance to wipe the slate clean and she turned her nose up at it. All she needed to do was shake her hand and all would have been forgiven. But no. I guess that was the editor's fault too, though.

8. Southpaw535

I just watched the weigh-ins as well to see the Brandao face off and I have to say I didn't think she was boo'd much at all. There were certainly a lot of cheers mixed in there as well and the sound of a boo carries further.

9. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I could be wrong, but I don't think that was the case. If I remember correctly Rousey went to a higher weight class because the only other option was to pretty much develop anorexia so she could fit into the lower weight class. I don't think that's abuse. I'd rather give up some weight and strength than starve myself.

I should find her behaviour repellent, but I honestly just find it amusing. She said when they accidentally got put in adjacent hotel rooms she was thinking of throwing furniture at the wall. I would laugh for ever if she actually did that. I guess I just like watching immature people do stupid things :D

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Did you mean Cyborg? Rousey dropped a weight class. Cyborg went up.

Cyborg could certainly drop a weight class, but she doesn't want to lose the advantage she has with muscle's she put on with steroids. She would have to lose some of those steroid muscles and she doesn't want to.

11. Southpaw535

I can't remember honestly, it was in the list of things she said her mum made her do in judo when she was a teen. I know she fought in the men's division for some reason or other at some point as well.

Did not know that she made the oly team at 17 though. That's an achievement to be happy with.

12. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Tate after the fight what she had to say about TUF 18

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/2...ey-flipped-a-switch-on-tuf-was-horrible-to-be

"She puts on this tough girl act. She flips me off, she cusses me out, she does all these things I really think deep down inside because she respects me a lot. She is realizing the first time [we fought] that she was able to get away with that and it bothered me and she was able to emotionally manipulate me. This time it's not. I think she's even more aggravated about it and that's why she's really escalated," Tate said.