Ronda Rousey admitted to beating up her ex, so should we be outraged?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by greg1075, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That is such an asinine leap of logic I am not even dignifying it with a considered response

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

So you agree with me?

3. holyheadjch

What kind of stats could you possibly look at?

I'm not saying anything about how different sexual offences should be 'treated' or sentenced, but I am saying that both could invoke a violent reaction from the victim that couldn't be justified by self defence, but is understandable from an extreme provocation point of view.

There was a news story maybe a year ago, where a father walked in on his nephew sexually abusing his young son. The father beat his nephew to within an inch of his life. Here it is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-walks-sexually-abusing-11-year-old-son.html (apologies for the DM link). The father never argued that the beating was in self defence, it was clearly (and understandably retaliatory), and yet the father was not charged with assault - extreme provocation.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Holy, IMO you should just give up on your extremely bad analogy. It just doesn't work to compare rape with taking inappropriate pictures. I get what you were trying to say, but it just doesn't work to make your argument.

5. holyheadjch

Yeah, I should have aimed lower. I've made it easy for people to set up a strawman.

I'm still right though ;)

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Starting down the road that anger, betrayal and violation justify physical violence is a very dodgy road indeed.
    All sorts of things can provoke those feelings (affairs, lying, secrets, etc)
    I'm sure we can all understand Rousey's feelings at the time but her actions were pre-meditated retribution (if memory serves the beating happened a good while after the discovery).
    And premeditated retribution isn't something to encourage.
    I mean I'm not gonna lose sleep over the fact some absolute sleaze got some bruises (and he should have been charged for his actions) but I can't fully side with Rousey on this.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

something I've learnt in the world outside MAP - if you're saying it in an obnoxious way then people will automatically take the opposing side to you because they simply don't like the way you talk

id side with donald goddamn trump in an argument if the person making the opposing argument is jeremy clarkson. thats human nature

8. holyheadjch

I don't recall it really being pre-meditated - if it was, then that's a different matter. I'm only arguing that the violence came from an honestly and justifiably felt rage.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't believe the story anyway.
    Everyone knows Rousey can't punch. :)

10. holyheadjch

True, but something I've learned from MAP is that you can't control how people read what you write.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yes it can be argued as SD. It was SD for another, to prevent crime/further harm. Yes, rage is a factor in this case.
    But again, RR was not necessarily in any danger. The other example (and this one) had element of danger and immediate harm.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

IIRC Rousey found the pictures (or evidence of pictures) and then basically waited for the sleaze to come home (not sure on time between but it was longer than 5/10 minutes) and then confronted/jumped him as he came through the door.

13. holyheadjch

There's more to the story (you can google around if you care) but I remember the father saying his intentions were originally to kill the other guy. He never said the guy resisted or tried to escape and if you find a picture of the guy - he's a beast. The police response was also basically 'yeah, he was being a dad'. So self defence never came into the equation.

Again, its an extreme case, but it shows that extreme provocation does factor into the legal equation.

14. holyheadjch

Hmm, I'm not going to try to guess how she felt at various stages. If she says she waiting with the intention of beating on him, that does make it a different thing. If not, I can see insta-rage being a factor.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm pretty sure that once someone like Ronda is angry she stays angry. :)

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You have just made every single homicide, gbh, abh, excessive force arrest and countless other crimes legitimate in your world view

Like I said, asinine

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

instarage is totally possible
    if you found out the pictures spread further or he wasn't willing to delete them. but doesn't really justify a beating

I'm curious how this fits in with data protection laws and if the photos (rouses data) entitles her to take back her propety - guess ill wait on hannibal elaboration.

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

True. But if a bunch of people read what you wrote and come to the same conclusion, the words you chose to use either convey your meaning poorly, or their reaction is correct and the fault is yours.

Mitch

19. ShogunGall

ShogunGall Valued Member

Obviously both are in the wrong here (the guy for taking the photos and RR for beating him up), and although I don't necessarily feel sorry for the guy, it just seems so much worse IMO when a trained fighter is involved in domestic violence, simply because they know how to hurt someone. Although there could be a counter argument made that such a high level judoka could show restraint in her throws (as well as the fact we don't exactly know how vicious the throw was etc), I doubt she would have used any restraint in such a heated situation, pre-mediated or not. Especially considering that the dude probably doesn't know how to break fall, as well as the surface was probably a lot harder than the average judo tatami mat, she could have done some serious damage to him. I don't know about you guys but that seems to make it a lot worse from her end.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Also if memory serves the guy was/is a fighter himself.