Ronda Rousey admitted to beating up her ex, so should we be outraged?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by greg1075, Nov 11, 2015.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ronda-rousey--admits-beating-up-her-ex--so-should-we-be-outraged-201418914.html

Should we?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No, he committed a sex crime against her. She cleaned his clock. That's not domestic violence, that's just desserts.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

its an assault
    it wasn't unprovoked (still an assault though) but we've only heard one side of the story.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

By any definition that is quite clearly a domestic assault- it is an act of physical violence directed from one party toward another while in a relationship

6. Hannibal

Wrong.

100% wrong

7. Hannibal

In legal terms yes it was unprovoked

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

if it was any girl beating up any guy for taking naked photos of her without her permission then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

although this is in america where you can stand your ground and shoot someone on your property in some states. I'm pretty sure whatever sex crime this would be charged as would allow you to use a gun in order to take back your propety (the photos) although i could be entirely wrong.

9. holyheadjch

Then the law is wrong.

10. Hannibal

You mean the law that specifically mandates reasonable and necessary force be applied in all situations? No it most certainly is not

11. Hannibal

In essence yes you are, but the nuances are probably not best entered into on a phone.....will try and write this up more completely when I am at a desktop

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

pot meet kettle. and to think, she was applauded so much for calling mayweather out.

13. holyheadjch

So let's take this to the extreme. If a woman was raped by her partner, and immediately after the rape, she beat her rapist, you would consider her to be a perpetrator of domestic violence and her rapist a victim?

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The law here is set up to enable people to respond to threats against persons and property (and sometimes trespassers) with enough force to prevent or end such occurrences. It does not allow for retribution as we are supposed to be a civilized society which deals with such things in a court of law. In your scenario above you could insert a different criminal act and it would still be an assault.

The answer here is yes. In both cases however the question is how her actions are presented and interpreted in court. Given the cultural biases which exist in terms of the sexes I would say the chances are good that a woman in such a scenario would be exonerated.

Also you are equating taking nude photographs with physical sexual violation which are unequal in magnitude.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

False Equivalency?

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

the guy still did a naughty, though, and i would argue that he should face consequences as well. which, however, doesn't excuse an illegal beatdown. both things are offenses, and IMO should be sanctioned accordingly.

17. holyheadjch

The law should account for extreme provocation and the jury system basically does. If the prosecution can't convince the jury that they wouldn't have acted the same, then the jury wont convict.

But both crimes are likely to invoke extreme feelings of anger, betrayal and violation. And in both cases, attacking the perpetrator after the fact is violence after any threat has gone. If you want to try to make the argument that the rapist in that case is a victim of domestic violence, go ahead.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Law is not wrong in the fact that she beat the crap out of the fella, regardless of it being provoked or unprovoked.
    Domestic or not, Female to a male or not . This is wrong and it is assault.

Take gender out of it.

(A) vs (B)
    (B) is slapped across the face, punched twice, kneed in the head, and thrown onto the floor by (A)

The result should never be : "Ah but did they deserve it ?"

Of course we all have our personal views of "well, if this happened to me. I would do the same" but personal opinion should not be placed into this.
    She won't get charged for this anyway, as the unnamed person would most likely not come forward to report. (even though this is technically a confession)

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You're talking about rape, where her reaction would then come under self defence (in fear for her life/prevent further harm) - therefore "fear based" - defender/victim

She was upset that naked photos were taken of her. She was not in any physical danger. Got angry and gave a raging beat down - therefore "anger/rage" - offender.

The above 2 are not comparible.

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Which is essentially what I said any miscommunication notwithstanding.

You're trying to make the case that unconsented nude photos and rape should be treated the same here. They may cause similar reactions, although I would like to see stats to verify, but that doesn't make them equal in magnitude which makes on of the responses of physical violence significantly disproportionate compared to the other.