Rodney "Chico" King

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Crucible, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Anybody trained with him? What do you think of his methods?

2. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

I recently acquired his Street Boxing and Clinch Boxing tapes. Very good, obviously a high level of skill.

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

What did you think of his "non-attribute" boxing methods and crazy monkey defense method?

4. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Crucible I've worked on using the crazy monkey and found it fantastic.
    I showed it to a friend of mine who had done about 6 weeks of thai and he was able to use it straight away.
    It's pretty instinctive, it builds confidence in newbies, it prevents certain bad habits developing.
    It is part of my repertoire now. Not the only thing I have but an important part.

5. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

What is the crazy monkey defense system? Can you describe it? What bad habits does it prevent?

6. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Sorry Crucible I dont think I could do it justice in print. It looks and sounds deceptively basic. Place both hands flat on your head, the heels of your palms resting on your forehead. That's it.
    One of the bad habits it prevents is reaching for punches.
    I know this is probably a frustrating reply but I hope some others pitch in.

7. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Nope, basic works. I was wondering if that's what it was. There's probably more to it then that, but I thought that structure might be a key thing. I love the story, on the website; "some friends went out on a jungle saffari and they came back saying "hey, even the monkeys were doing it!", thus crazy monkey was named :D . I've seen some pangamut(Pilipino boxing) and silat that use a similar structure, good to know others have gone at it and found it sound. Anything else to contribute about his methods?
    I think I read something somewhere about him having unusual and highly effective strikes?

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'll definatly second that; There's some really useful material in his videos!

9. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Yukimushi, What specificly about the tapes did you find useful?

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'd seen a few of the other straight blast gym video's which I thought were excellent. And i'd heard alittle about the Rodney King one's and decided to give it a look.

The thing i found most useful was a few of the combo's taught; the ducking, bobbing / weaving techniques he shown were very informative as well. What I also like is the fact that he goes so far into detail about the correct excecution of the techniques hes demonstrating.

11. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Did you see any interesting or peculiar strikes?

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Not that i can remember. I was mainly impressed with the depth at which the execution of the technique was described. Also, throughout the whole instructional you pick up useful tips.

13. teacher

teacher Valued Member

There were some strikes that werent familiar to me and some that were familiar. One thing that stands out is his ability to explain how these fit in to a practical framework. One of the strikes he showed was a cupping motion that snaps the head back and can be used to pull your opponent into a clinch.I would be prepared to believe that there are other people out there doing similar things but the Rodney King videos are available and provide great information.

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Most of the other Straight Blast Gym instructionals ive seen have been exactly the same. Very informative, and a deep thourough description and demonstration of the excecution of the shown technique, and how it can be implimented into a practical frame work.

So if you like/d the Rodney King series, it might be worth giving some of the other videos such as the Singer Brothers video's a look!

15. Fade-To-Black

Fade-To-Black New Member

Teacher brought in a Rodney King vid to show me some of his clinch work. Overall I was pretty impressed since it not only focussed on clinch technique.. but how to actually get there, which I think alot of people neglect. The Crazy Monkey thing is awesome :D

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I just recentally watched Rodney Kings UK and Denmark seminar instructional which was excellent. It's got some really good, simple but effective pointers and techniques which were well worth writing down and working on. Top watch! :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  17. minimal

minimal New Member

I've never used it, but I understand in Crazy Monkey the fists are held near the temples and the elbows below the chin, but it is meant to be a fluid position whereby the fists can move, for example, beside the head to intercept a roundhouse and the elbows can move enough to intercept punches.

It might be useful for a break in which a minimum of blows will land on you despite that you are doing little in defense, during which you prepare to counterattack.

An elbow is a very effective defense against a punch, in the 'breaking the corners' tradition.

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i have a few tapes in my collection worth keeping. crazy monkey discs would definitly make the cut.