RNC air or blood?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Kframe, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys dumb question but its one i never quite understood.

Is the RNC a blood or air choke? I know that when i had it done to me i was unable to breath, but i keep reading its a blood choke.

I heard that blood chokes work alot faster then air chokes.. If thats the case why did the choke in this video not make him pass out considering how long she sunk it?[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBL7YUTRlpk&feature=player_embedded"]Submission SHOCKER - Girl Submits Boy - Amanda Leve vs Wyatt Sellers at Grapplers Quest UFC No Gi - YouTube[/ame]

You will likely have to go to you tube to watch it.

So what is the deal with the RNC? I keep reading its is a blood choke but the last time it was used on me i was unable to breath. SO what say you??

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

It's a blood choke. If it's done well you can still breathe. The reason why the RNC in the video you posted took a while to choke is that you need good pressure on the arteries on both sides of the neck, whereas she had good pressure on one side, and less pressure on the other (if she had sunk her elbow further through it would have been quicker).

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

As Kave said, it is a blood choke. If locked in good, the carotid arteries are blocked. The blood pressure drops to the brain, causing the brain to shut down in 4-7 seconds. After about 4 seconds, it might seems like you are still awake, but your brain might already be shutting down. That's one reason why tapping out before 4 seconds is a good practice if you know they got you good because after that, you might not be able to tap out. There are tricks to use shallow breathing to keep blood pressure going to your brain, I've seen some hold out a while using these tricks, but the RNC was never completely locked in good.

The thing about the not being able to breath is that the RNC might not be on right. The forearm could be against the windpipe instead of along the side of the neck. The proper RNC has the opponent's chin pointing in the direction of your elbow so you get your forearm blocking one side of the carotid arteries and your bicep blocking the other side.

If instead, you have your forearm against the windpipe, this is when they can't breath. This is dangerous because the windpipe is tissue and can bruise and swell up, becoming permanently restricted. This can happen minutes after the actual choke is finished and you are done with training.

There are many variants of the RNC. If you have smaller arms like me, I usually get a half choke (only one side of the carotid arteries). There are also neck cranks, neck breaks. Some can even cover up the mouth and nose to smother (suffocate) you if they can't get under your chin cause their arms are too big. The half choke is legal in comps, some comps allow neck cranks to an extent. Neck breaks aren't legal. Smothering may be allowed if it is incidental, but intentional is probably against the rules or at least isn't very nice.

Other than getting your windpipe crushed, you can go a bit without breathing, at least a minute.

For the video, the opponent's chin was not aligned with the elbow so pressure wasn't on the carotid arteries directly. And even so, the technique was NOT finished (e.g. to finish you bring your elbows together and lift up/chin up). So it might have been more of a neck crank that caused the tap out.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

It's a chi choke. Stops your chi circulating and then your meridians and chakras are all out a sync and you pass out from all be bad feng shwei. That and the furniture in your room becomes poorly arranged.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A full rnc is a blood choke, a short bar choke is an air choke, in applicatio. Its usually shades of gray inbetween.

Plus as a newbie any pressure on your neck will have you holding your breath and panic taping, plus back hooks or body triangle will add to your breathing worries.

Ps how was bjj?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Also...the crook of the elbow is basically triangle shaped...the more the neck is forced down into that triangle the more the front of the neck will get compressed.
    Someone with long arms on a thin neck can RNC without effecting the front of the throat too much.
    Shorter arms on a thick neck (like a woman choking a man) will but more pressure on the front because the angle of the elbow will be much less acute.
    And finally...the throat and veins and arteries aren't packaged up all nice and discretely in the neck...they are all jammed in there....so pressure on one structure can transfer onto the others fairly easy and in the case of the breathing part pressure on them is what we are most aware of even if it's actually mostly on the sides.

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Edit sorry had to restart was having problems with the browser.

Bjj is enjoyable if i can keep up with whats going on. Its when the place i try it at takes the shot gun approach to random training over the days. Making it hard to follow and keep up and not enjoyable.

My question was inspired by my own memories of newb no gi grappling as much as that video. Apparently i have not really experienced a blood RNC before but mainly air chokes.

Thank you for helping me with this question guys.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  8. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Check out what Bas rutten says about it on you tube.

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Blood. It can turn into a windpipe choke when not done right i.e. when pressure isn't applied on the carotid arteries. A good visual cue id the elbow on the choking arm. If it's not aligned with chokee's center line (usually shifted to the right), the choke starts shifting from blood to an windpipe choke.

10. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

RNC is a Bloodchoke. It constricts the carotid arteries and blocks blood from going to the brain. Within 10 seconds you should pass out. Air Chokes take longer and within 10 minutes of the brain having no oxygen you could suffer permanent Brain damage.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

10 minutes, jebus how long do you hold chokes on for?

12. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Even 10 secs... that's enough time for someone to pass out 2 or 3 times.

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It depends on the variant used. One form of the rear naked choke can attack the trachea, another can attack the carotid veins. The fact that it is called the rear naked choke implies that the main purpose was originally to attack the airway though, as a choke is generally an air stopper while a strangle targets the blood flow.

Both are extremely effective at rendering someone unconscious, and the choke has the advantage that it hurts a lot more and can instil a sense of panic in the recipient, making it a lot harder for them to actually fight well to combat the choke.

Of course, a lot of chokes and strangles cross into each other's territory to make something genuinely nasty!

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

The terms are reversed in our school. Choke is a precise technique that is always a blood choke (for safety reasons). Strangle is a not as precise technique that targets the front and sides of the neck. This often applies pressure to both windpipe and blood vessels.

A choke on a blood vessel is not painful generally. It just puts you to sleep.

Pressure on the windpipe or an associated neck crank is very painful and can elicit panic.

Unrelated to what I just said, I have to give props to this entertaining and nice article I happened to come across: http://www.bjjheroes.com/techniques/the-mata-leao

I liked the video with Samson fighting the lion... but,
    I still don't understand if cutting the hair off of Samson would defeat him, then why do MMA fighters shave their heads? :Aegis:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015