RIP Dr. Cheng

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by aaradia, May 20, 2022.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I had heard about Dr. Cheng dying to save others in yet another shooting here in the USA. What I just found out is that he was a Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Sifu. This line from the article (link posted below) really stuck with me.

Rest in Peace Dr. Cheng.

Kung Fu Master John Cheng Dies Saving Others
    "Lots of martial artists and tactical personnel talk a big game about what they'd do in a life-or-death situation. John didn't freeze, flee, or fawn. He fought. May his dedication to his principles and courage guide us all when it matters most," he said."

Heroism Of Doctor Who Sacrificed His Life In Church Shooting Was No Surprise To Those Who Knew Him

axelb, Grond and Mitch like this.
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I wanted to just post basic info in opening this thread. But here are the thoughts going through my mind right now. His story reminds me of another one. I had a boss years ago who moved here from New York. Her husband was a Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Practitioner. I think he also was an instructor/ Sifu, but can't remember for sure. He was in a store when an armed robbery happened. The robbery was apparently going to turn into shootings, but he stopped that and saved others. However, Like Dr. Cheng, he sacrificed his life in the process. There is a street somewhere in NY named after him. His son also worked in the Library and he had a beautiful tattoo of the street sign in honor of his father.

This is the reality of using martial arts in self defense/ defense of others. You may be successful in saving others, but at the cost of your own life. This isn't movie-fu where there is always a happy ending. And these are the things one has to weigh. Can you get away? Or is it a matter of not going down without a fight? If you can get away, do you risk your life to save others?

(As an aside, when she moved back to NY many years later, she offered me his WC wooden dummy. It had been sitting in her garage. I didn't take it as CLF wooden dummies are different. And I really didn't have space for it in my small granny flat.)

I honestly don't know what I would do if I could get away. Would I stay to save others? I don't know the answer. I hope I never have to find out. I do feel pretty sure if it was a matter of not being able to get away anyways, I wouldn't go down without a fight.

I have no answers in this post, just mulling this over.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    axelb, Grond, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

RIP John Cheng, we should remember his name, not that of the murderer. What a brave, caring act to be his final legacy.

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

RIP John Cheng.
    What a true hero.