Rings around Uranus

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nevada_MO_Guy, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Attached Files:

2. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

How can it be that you are magnetically drawn to this thread when you read the title ???

:D

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I have to say the content was a let down after reading the title.

Ass-trollogy. :p

/third grade humour

4. Jesh

But that was really good...

:D

5. Nevada_MO_Guy

I was going to title it "Debris found around Uranus", but that just sounded....a bit unkept.

6. Jesh

That also would've aroused some suspicions...

:p

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I thought you guys had discovered some new nast STD lol. :D

8. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

:rolleyes:

9. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I was trying to explain to my kids the vastness of space and found this which helped explain it. A great link that kids can relate to and really gives us an idea of just how insignificant we really are.

10. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nice link.

There is a lot of space....in space.

Light is pretty fast....it is as fast as....well, the speed of light. Even at that speed it takes 8 minutes (give or take) to get here. So the light we see from the Sun represents what the Sun looked like 8 minutes ago, and we must wait another 8 minutes to see what it looks like "now".

That's Far.

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

That's a fantastic link Justin, although I'm not sure I'd say "insignificant", I prefer "small". It's a picky point I know, but significance is determined by how much value we place on something as opposed to its size.

If you want a link that will make you feel both infinitely small and infinitely large at the same time, try this one:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html

(You can zoom in and out at your leisure by clicking on the red "manual" button.)

12. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

You mean astroNOMY?

Astronomy is the study of the stars. Astrology is using the stars to predict the future. One is real science, the other is pseudoscience at best.

13. Mrs Radcliffe

Mrs Radcliffe Armstrong Angel

The title sounds suspicous anyway :D

14. Nevada_MO_Guy

You're right. I meant Astronomy. Must of had a duh moment.

15. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Here is what I think is a better resource for that powers of ten as it is in a video which is cool, and goes both ways...all the way out, then in.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5555313278261147278&q=powers+of+ten

16. Nevada_MO_Guy