Right hand over left vs Left hand over right

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by SDGuy, Apr 16, 2011.

1. SDGuy

SDGuy New Member

Hey guys,

I was curious is there any significant difference between having the left hand covering a right fist versus a right hand covering a left fist? I've found multiple interpretations for the right hand covering a left fist (Which is very uncommon in traditional Kung Fu), ranging from a death match, to a difference between a master/student bows, to complete peace/non-willingness to fight, hence my confusion.

2. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

I haven't seen right hand covering a left fist, could you give some example of which school which does this, please? Thanks. :)

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hmmmm - in a right hand dominant culture the right hand closed makes sense - but would it be wrong for a 'leftie' to do it the other way ???

4. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Some systems utilize left or right based on whether the student is a male or female. In other systems it is based on the stylistic reasons as in the case where one hand is meant to be more strengthened more than the other, or something like that. And in some systems there is no real important significance...

5. spaced

spaced Valued Member

The salute not only represents the famous "oust the ching/restore the ming" of the secret societies, but also has meaning in the symbology displayed by the hands.

It's only done left hand over right fist. It's not done the other way round, but if it is it could be considered an insult to chinese person who is aware of Kungfu and Chinese history......apparently

I have also heard it referred to "friends of all 4 seas unite"....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Oh darn. When I met Jackie Chan once, he saluted with left fist covered by right hand. I thought it meant peace time salute.

I did right fist covered by left out of habit.

Noooo, it can't be an insult, not Jackie :eek:

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In a salute like so, yes. Just cos youre a leftie doesnt mean that the hand gesture should be different.

Right hand in a fist with left hand covering meaning you "mean no malice", as the left hand is covering a fist. (or at least thats what my mum tells me)

Unfortunately, I also come from a culture that in the previous generation, is not fond of lefties and those who are born southpaws are forced to learn to write as a rightie.

When I met Jackie he gave me a high five, then told me to stand somewhere, where I then got smacked in the arm with a pram.

I think he met you first......

8. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

Also forced to learn to use chopstick as a rightie. :)

9. Mushroom

Same here, hence I'm ambidextrous (minus the writing and drawing of my left hand since I mashed in my thumb). In fact, the only 2 things I do with my right hand is writing and fighting.

10. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

I had to learn to use my left hand for 3 months to write and use chopstick (This one is damn hard to do at first) when I broke all my finger. :(

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Umm, when has the "right" been considered superior to "left" in Chinese culture? It's always been the other way around. The left is in a superior place among cardinal directions, among other little details. Left is superior to right.

12. Mushroom

As long as I remember and know, that the right hand has been dominant or at least 'prefered'. Quite a few of my friends and family (including myself) were forced to be right handed when we were younger.
    Whether for religious reason, I am not sure for I dont devoutly practice, but definately culturally wise. I stood up to my Aunt when she was slapping at my cousin's daughter for eating/writing with the left hand. I felt it was wrong, the child hasn't done anything wrong, she's just wired to be a southpaw.

My friends who have children dont force the "right hand" thing on their kids, but on my travels to the more traditional parts of China, a left handed writer is met with a feather duster (tung tiu) to the hand. See below..

Attached Files:

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Traditionally due to 5-element/yin-yang theory and cardinal directions left is superior to the right. But I am sure a lot has changed though from the days of imperial China. I never looked much into the topic of "handedness preference" however I'm just going by what I know from some ancient beliefs.

Oh and getting hit for being left-handed is not right. I was hit in the hand enough times just for being a kid, can't imagine the added burden of being left-handed.

14. Demain

Demain Valued Member

It is used in Pak Mei style ( forbidden style) There is a famous story about a monk
    who betrayed the shaolin temple and had it burned down.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The hand cover fist was an ancient Chinese underground society special hand signal during the early Qing dynasty. The close fist is a sun. The open palm is a moon. The sun and moon can create a Chinese character "明(Ming)". Back then people in China tried to overthrow the Qing dynasty and brough back the Ming dynasty. From your opponent's eyes, the sun has to be on his left and the moon has to be on his right, This is why your left hand has to show the moon symbol (open palm), and your right hand has to show the sun symbol (close fist).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  16. Demain

Demain Valued Member

That is right, good info!

17. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Wah Lum does it this way - right hand over left fist. That is the only place I've ever seen it done that way.

The left hand over right fist is a gesture that I've seen outside of martial arts circles in southern China (Guangdong province) in situations when expressing gratitude. Just my personal experience from multiple trips to China.

18. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

Does anyone see the significance of the Pak -Mei salute i.e left hand open, on top of right fist, and then that it is a right hand dominant style?

19. Kagehana

Kagehana New Member

So I asked one of my martial art Shifu, and he explained to me that, when you put your Right hand over the Left fist it mean battle to the death or showing no mercy; Meanwhile Left hand over Right Fist is normal spar or friendly match.

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm sure it happened to me too. Although I'm not Chinese. I used to draw and write left handed before my teachers noticed and made me change.