Rhabdomyolysis and crossfit

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dead_pool, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

https://medium.com/p/97bcce70356d

Interesting article on Rhabdomyolysis and crossfit,

The one crossfit class I attended has some great technical pointers, and quite a low intensity, BUT safety for newbs didnt seem to be central, inso much that I was encouraged to clean and jerk with a incorrectly loaded barbell (20kg one side 15 on the other)

Does anyone with more experience of crossfit want to add to this with there own experiences?

2. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Sounds scary. I'm glad I don't train that hard!

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i worked as a coach at a crossfit place for a while and they didnt do really silly things like incorrect plate loading but i found that many of the issues came from inexperienced young coaches buying into the weird mentality of crossfit: "push your self till you cant push and then collapse"

it's weird cos a lot of interviews i've read with the top athletes in the crossfit games suggest that you spend a long while just building a basic strength base before you ever get into the endurance side of things

a lot of guys that do well at crossfit built their base in other sports

loading was so low it made stuff boring. clients were amazed i could continually do 3 mins of squat snatches with 40kg without a warm up.
    (if they had been actually strength training they would realise that 40kg was the warm up)

i also found it weird when working that there were no attention given to each individuals goals during a class, it was just a "get good at working out/crossfit" thing. if one guy wants to be the best at crossfit and another at judo and wanted some extra training on the side then surely the judo guy should do less crossfit and more specific stuff and recovery.

great money making scheme though. group classes that do all the cool parts of other sports like muscle ups and cleans! it's easy to sell to people understand "fitness" as running, gym class and the military bootcamps.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Crossfit is great at many things, chief of which is promoting crossfit.

Mitch

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There is a Crossfit facility across the road from the gym where I do Judo/No-Gi. I roll my eyes everytime I read the motto "The sport of fitness has arrived!" painted on the wall. That phrase is funny in itself, but even funnier is most CF coaches and practitioners I've seen doing their "sport" can't squat or deadlift right for toffee.

Their motto should say: "The sport of getting injured has arrived!"

6. Mangosteen

It's funny cos "the sport of fitness" makes no sense
    Fitness means you're prepared as much as possible for a specific purpose.

Saying that, I enjoy watching the crossfit games as a variation of strongman.
    But I hate the elitist mentality

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Expensive cool-aid.

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Wow, that was the most off putting thing I've read on CF and I'd never heard of it.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've got a friend that swear by Crossfit. He used to kickbox and TKD till personal factors kicked in and he got pretty obese.
    Its a good workout for him and he does have previous weightlifting etc experience so he knew correct technique. He claimed in his class (in Australia) that in the exercises, as soon as form is compromised (kipping pull ups etc) then stop for a bit and carry on.

Thats the best I've heard from a CF class though, all the other negativity is via rumours etc. I don't like the idea of it, but I'm not that well educated in it and its hard to rag on a guy for doing a "fad" when he has lost something like 8 stones (of course factoring diet etc)

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I've done cross fit like workouts, long before the idea of cross fit came around though. The only thing I really like about Crossfit (because it's just a name and focus to things athletes in many sports have implemented already) are the gyms. Plenty of space, no machines, free weights, tires, sledgehammers, med balls. So much you can do without any hassle or maneuvering.

11. Mangosteen

man crossfit gyms are so well kitted out.

12. Ero-Sennin

Their layout should replace what a gym should actually look like. When my brain heals enough for me to start working out I've been considering joining a cross fit gym that has "free time" where you can do whatever, but telling whomever is trying to tell me about Crossfit that I have no interest in their methodology or classes. People won't refuse money if you tell them you won't get in the way, right?

Just read the article, holy freaking suck. I remember when I was in the military there was a huge article on cross fit causing a piece of a Navy guy's heart to break off and enter his bloodstream and almost killed him, but only gave him long term medical problems for the rest of his life. They made a stupid clown shirt about that too.

13. Princess Haru

^ wonder if that's why its about £10 per class in Cambridge or £55 per month (my current gym membership is a bit under £40 and I go 3-4 times a week, so about 15 times a month)

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Im not defending crossfit, but in terms of cost, havnt you previously said your current gym has no squat rack / a no deadlift policy?

15. Mangosteen

Haru - my uni gym membership is 240 a year (about 20 quid a month) for non-stundets and you have access to a track, swimming pool and 10 o-lift platforms, cardio stuff, ropes and cables.

Mushroom - I think paleo diet and the community spirit has people training hard and eating right = weight loss, rather than anything special about their training.
    Loads of sports teams do this. Heck the Gracie diet and the gracie workout (BJJ everyday) will do tremendous things because it's community, good food and hard work.

also the crossfit "journal" is an embarrassment

Crossfit makes money on being an exercise class rather than the facility.

16. Princess Haru

It has one Squat Rack, though the fixed height safety bar is too high for both low/ATG Back Squats and all Front Squats, and one Power Rack, which depending on the day of the week can be taken by guys doing seated Overhead Press, Barbell Curls, Shrugs, Deadlifts (not even on the bars), shy guys trying to max their Bench Press who presumably don't trust anyone to spot or how to ask, oh and Squats ;)

I think maybe you're thinking of Zaad (his non Uni gym)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  17. Ero-Sennin

I stand corrected about the article I mentioned earlier. It wasn't a heart condition thing but the very subject of this thread. Came out in 2008.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20080816/NEWS/808160309/Lawsuit-alleges-CrossFit-workout-damaging

The link I posted is taking me to a "subscribe now" page for the Navy Times, but I didn't have to subscribe to read the original article. This is the Google Search, it's the first link that pops up:

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&c...hl=en&q=crossfit+injuries+navy&rls=en&spell=1

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  18. Mangosteen

Wow. just read this assessment of crossfit programming that is pretty much agree with.

the methodology for training anyone wanting to do training for an MA/combat sport should be "we have large repertoire of techniques from which we choose the most appropriate for the person we're training" rather than "LET'S DO THE WOD GUYS!".

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/sports-training/watts-quick-flip-adapting-crossfit-methodologies-for-sports-performance-part-1/

i like mix modal training. i dont like the crossfit application.

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Full membership of Crossfit Nottingham currently £62.50 per month.

That's not swanky city centre gym, it's a unit on an industrial estate a few miles outside the city. For that you get unlimited classes but the gym only offers open access for two one hour slots a day, in the middle of the morning and the middle of the afternoon when there's no demand for classes.

mitch

20. Princess Haru

Maybe the model fits the US better, well less expensive cities there where you can have warehouse style set ups and literally every man and his dog drives a car. The Cambridge one is in Milton on the north edge of town, and most classes are during office hours. I honestly don't know who this is marketed to since I do incorporate a number of CF type exercises in my workouts but haven't yet found a time I could make more than once.

http://www.crossfitstagsanddoes.co.uk/getting-started/
    https://www.facebook.com/CambridgeCrossfitStagsandDoes