Review: Taekwondo Grappling Techniques

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by aaron_mag, Oct 31, 2010.

1. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I picked up a book recently some of you may find interesting. It is written by two TKD Black Belts (holding ranks in both ITF/WTF) and Brown/Purple belts in BJJ. One is a Professor of Exercise Sport Science.

Here is a linke to the book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Taekwondo-Grappling-Techniques-Competitive-Martial/dp/0804840067/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288543428&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Taekwondo Grappling Techniques: Hone Your Competitive Edge for Mixed Martial Arts (9780804840064): Tony Kemerly Ph.D., Steve Snyder: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

Note the book advertises itself as a grappling book to 'Hone Your Competitive Edge for Mixed Martial Arts'. Anyone who flips through it will quickly see that it is a pattern application book rather than a sport grappling book. While the cover is slightly misleading this was not an issue for me since I flipped through it before I saw the 'Hone Your Competitive' edge thing. So I knew it was a pattern application book when I bought it.

The books starts with a nice history summary that discusses TKD's grappling roots focusing on the Shotokan lineage. Anyone with some knowledge of this will not find anything new, but I thought it was well done. It even does a brief history of BJJ, which I thought was totally unnecessary since this is a TKD book.

The book then goes into the grappling application of various techniques: Twin Forearm, Ridgehand Block, X Block, High Block, Outer Forearm Block, Inner Forearm Block, Stick Block, Spear Hand Strikes, Knife Hand Strike Etc (there are many more).

Each technique is given three color photos, which works fairly well. More would be nice as well as more than one page (all photos and description are fit on one page), but you can get the general idea from the photos.

The book then does a cursory study of the ITF patterns Chon-ji through Po-Eun. Most of the application follows the application already covered in the technique section, but there are some variations.

As already said this is a very cursory study of each of the patterns and it is far from complete. The Hwarang pattern, for example, ends at the 'Pull to Side Kick'. This is not necessarily a problem as stuff like the 'spear hand strike' application was already covered earlier. But if you are looking at a complete step by step pattern application this is not the book you are looking for.

Here is a bonus...there is a DVD in the back which shows the authors demonstrating some of the techniques. It is a very very short DVD, but it is a nice addition and the few techniques they cover are very clear and easy to follow.

Summary: This book is a good introduction to Pattern Application. Stuart's books are far more complete. But if you have an interest in the subject this book is worth picking up. It will NOT 'Hone Your Competitive Edge For Mixed Martial Arts' as it advertises, but it will give you some applications for you to think about when practicing (and teaching) the patterns. The authors seem both knowledgeable and skilled and the DVD is fun to watch. While the listed retail is $39.95 it is around $20 on Amazon so this is a really cheap introduction to pattern application and definitely something worth considering.

2. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I got this book and its "okay".
    What I didnt like about it is:

1. Most of the techniques were 'single' techniques demonstrated, which TBH is fairly easy to do - putting them in the order of the patterns, as they are portrayed is far more difficult (especially combinations of more than 2 movements), but, thats what I feel TKD'er's want (ultimatly).

2. They did it all in BJJ gi's as opposed to TKD doboks

3. Their techniques seemed 'old' style - aka Jhoon Rhee era

Stuart

3. aaron_mag

I didn't mention the BJJ/Judo gis, but it annoyed me as well. It is a TKD book. We still practice Jhoon Rhee era ourselves. And you are right about the single techniques. The transition between one technique to the next is much more challenging. Plus they just cover a couple of techniques per pattern. For $20 however it's a pretty decent value overall.

4. StuartA

Title aside, I think this was their biggest mistake - like you say its really a pattern apps book!

Indeed. Hell, Rick Clark has a book on 100 down block applications - one move is, TBH, easy peazy and I was disapointed by this - still, any book that entices TKD students to look at their art from a new perspective is good btw - so yes, I`d recommend it too.

Stuart
    Ps. Nothing wrong with 70's/Jhoon Rhee era for me - its all TKD - for others though I cansee them complaining about "non-ITF or "Old Style" TKD - still, it may help to broaden their mind!

5. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

My Cuong Nhu school used to train out of a TKD building. At a point their chief instructor decided that he wanted his students to learn a few basic throws. They were using doboks. I watched as one of our students ripped a dobok straight down the front. And these were upper end quality too. That was when they decided they didn't want to learn how to do throws anymore.

6. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Yes I have the book & have found it interesting & something that I wanted to add to my research

7. StuartA

Thats true of most doboks, as they are designed to be light and not designed for throws. We use a triple stitched dobok (around the arms) so they are a lot tougher for this type of thing, but in the older days, we ripped many a dobok, especially the zips (on ITF ones) and the armpit area.

Rather than stop practicing throws, I would have though it would have been better to get some stronger tops, such as a judo gi perhaps! :bang:

Stuart

8. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Velcro helps solve these problems for the ITFers. Stop throws, NEVER! :cry:

9. aaron_mag

I could buy that they needed the gis for throwing if it were not for the fact that they chose one with all the BJJ decals and such. Nothing wrong with a white/blue judo gi for demonstration purposes...

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For the sake of a photo shoot doboks would have done too.
    It's not like they need to last years and years.
    Or just cheap, plain medium weight Karate gis.

11. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

They didn't keep them in stock, and didn't feel like spending the money to get them. Also, this is a McDojo who double stacked the thickest, squishiest mats I've ever seen. There was a list of other things that led up to this decision as well though, it was just the torn dobok that was the straw that broke the camels back. Or atleast the excuse to stop.

My guess would be that they already had gis with BJJ decals and just didn't want to spend the money on new ones.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A judo gi is about the cheapest MA uniform there is. I use them at my club sometimes, though I'm also investigating some 16 or 14oz karate gis as I think they'll work for what we need to do with them whilst looking "right" for TKD in a way a judo gi doesn't. Cost is a lot higher for the heavyweight karate gis though.

Any TKDin would be well advised to get some basic grappling in, and most of the doboks I've trained in simply aren't up to it.

Mitch