Returning to martial arts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Scott Milne, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Scott Milne

Scott Milne New Member

Hi guys new to the form so apologies if this is in the wrong place. I trained in TKD when I was younger but after about 15 years and 3 kids later I have decided to try my hand at kickboxing. I am reasonably strong and i know technique will come back in time through traing itself but I am severely lacking in fitness. What do you find a good way to supplement your training for the fitness side of it. Long distance running? HIIT sprints? Lightweight circuit training? Any advice is appreciated.

axelb likes this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd say firstly keep training. Don't get into the mindset of "fit enough to go training". The training gets you fit after that then you can do all those things you've mentioned. They all have their place but unless your doing something specific I.e competing then there's not much to add.

dbl0, axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  3. Scott Milne

Scott Milne New Member

Thanks. The idea is to train and get fitter doing kickboxing but I want to be competing at some point next year so any extra gym work to add on top to help with lasting multiple rounds/fight in the same day.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well if you're super serious about it, I'd say try and make training 4/5 days a week. Once you can do that consistently without too much trouble, then consider things like running and gym work! You don't want to put too much stress on your body, particularly in winter.

Let us know how your training progresses!

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Welcome to MAP, and back to training.

I know what it's like having years off from training (due to prioritising kids also).

Take it easy getting back into it, certainly training first is the best option, as your body adapts then gradually bring in the extra training.
    Running is a good all over cardio improver.

Mitch likes this.