Retirement...never thought it was that close

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

It is rather odd for me to be thinking this way, it seems like not to long ago I was looking at 15 years or more until I could retire. But it is now less than 7, will likely be 8 years. And this past weekend I spent in New Hampshire. actually looking a possible places to retire, where I can spend my days doing taijiquan., and let me tell you that was the strangest trip I have taken in years because of the reason I was there.

However I liked it and just as a warning, there may be a new Taijiquan school, that may also be teaching Baguazhang and maybe in Xingyiquan, in Southern NH in 8 or so years.

Nachi, cloudz, axelb and 3 others like this.
  2. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I imagine it must feel strange, but good luck for when it’s time to establish the new school.

New Hampshire’s great ... in summer :)

Xue Sheng and Grond like this.
  3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm jealous of you for two reasons. First for retiring so soon, and second for enjoying New Hampshire with the wonderful weather we've been having. I would definitely retire there rather than the typical places like Florida. New Hampshire has it all, mountains, beaches, fishing, and most of all, serenity. And a little snow now and then is good for the senses :D

Xue Sheng likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Thanks, and it was an odd feeling when I was in NH this past weekend thinking abot "retirement" there. And any school I start will not really be for any sort of major profit, I have will l have a pension, and if my wife opens up an office there I would teach out of her office, and there is always the YMCA.

I grew up in New England and live in "real" upstate NY....winter is no big thing.....especially if I have a much smaller driveway, or better yet, hire someone to plow it. Can't plow my current driveway due to the design

But nothing is written in stone yet, got 8 years to look around. I just always liked NH

Kemposhot likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

The Irony is that I am 1 of about a half a dozen people that was actually born in Florida, left when I was 3. And it is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Kemposhot likes this.
  6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Bugs and humidity, right?. I'm right there with you. There are nice areas for sure, but they tend to get obliterated by storms anyway.

Kemposhot and Xue Sheng like this.
  7. Xue Sheng

I've been through a couple weaker hurricane in the Northeast and I am told I went through a rather strong one in Florida, but I agree, I will take a blizzard over a hurricane any day

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am a year away now from when I can retire. And I realize I don't understand as much about my retirement plan as I should. I have a goal this year to understand it better, learn more about it.

I plan on maxing it out, I can't really afford to retire right away, but to think I technically am almost at retirement age is weird to me. I have an old school government pension, so it is a good plan.

I won't be moving anywhere though. I have lived here since I was 4. It is expensive, but starting over someplace new has no appeal to me. Plus, my school is here!

Kemposhot likes this.
  9. Xue Sheng

I started out in New England, well from 3 years old, so it is not entirely new to me. As for retirement age, I had it few years ago, as far as the state I live in is concerned. But I did not have the years. will have the years in less than 7 and I will go out with a bit more than what is required.

And I am looking into how this whole retirement thing works now and it is certainly different. But I have been told by a few people I know that have retired that once I do, I will be surprised at how easy it is and forget the whole government job thing pretty darn easily

And this whole post feels weird to me because it is talking about retirement as a certainty not to long from now, not some vague possibility in the distant future

10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I've always thought of retirement as a state of mind, having known and talked to many retired folk. I know many retired people who still work for money, and plenty of unretired people who still seem to work but really don't. I've heard it said the #1 killer of old people is retirement, but I don't believe that. The happiest retired people were the busy ones, even if that meant busy fishing.

So the Number 1 killer of old people has to be not working. Towards something, anything, and the fun part is that by that age it doesn't necessarily have to be "pay the bills", but "what fun have I put off?"

This is a great time to go back through the pages and see something you missed out on. It could be anything, writing, traveling, treasure hunting. I am reading Forrest Fenn's memoir, and I might go looking for his loot! Not saving that for retirement, you have to strike while the iron is hot and fortune is favoring the bold.

Xue Sheng and axelb like this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I guess statistically the most people who die are retired, but I get what you mean - I think we are seeing highlighted more that sedentary lifestyles are inherently bad for your health.

I'd like to say I'll keep active when I retire, much along the lines of @Xue Sheng doing taichi :D

if my body can cope with it, then I'll keep other martial arts going.

ned, Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  12. Xue Sheng

Yup, which is why I don't plan on retirement as sitting on the front porch in a rocking chair yelling at the ding dang kids to get off of my lawn....I will keep moving, will be doing whatever martial art I can still do, and possibly pursuing another degree....although I may still be yell at the ding dang kids to get off of my lawn... have to keep up the grumpy old man persona you know :D

Grond and axelb like this.
  13. Xue Sheng

Had another rather odd retirement thought as I was driving into work this morning. Assuming I am still in the same office in 8 years......one day I will be driving down that road thinking; "This is the last time I will have to do this".

ned and axelb like this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I can't imagine having enough money to retire. I'm just going to be working my entire life until the day I die :(

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Get a council job, my friend has just left working for a housing association, being an odd job / low level tradesman, full training given, great hours, good pay, good pension, and good sickpay.

16. Pretty In Pink

I'm going to be teaching BJJ/MMA my entire life man. I'm learning to become a mechanic right now though!

ned, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Fantastic, it's great to have something to fall back on, the more regular income you can have, the easier it is to build a gym membership base, without worrying about short term bills/making rent/not having enough money to eat with.

ned and Xue Sheng like this.
  18. Pretty In Pink

Yeah that's the plan. Stay in a garage until I can fund my own gym. Got loads of plans related to running a gym. I don't understand entrepreneurs who are equally passionate about everything they sell but I am passionate about teaching martial arts and it's easy to come up with original business strategies when you're properly motivated.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

Didn't say I would stop working, just not work where I do now. But then I am in IT and a government worker and married to a doctor. There was a time, when I was a mechanic actually, that I was thinking, " I doubt I will ever retire" Of course I was about 30 at the time and the whole retirement thing seemed like it was a 1,000,000 years away. Let me tell you 999,992 years went fast.

I plan on teaching Taijiquan when I retire, possibly Xingyiquan and/or Baguazhang. And my wife now has plans that I should work in her office when I retire. She also has plans for me going off to college, getting a PhD in Traditional Chinese Medicine too.... married is one thing...working for is a whole different thing......but time will tell

ned, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Xue Sheng

Friend of mine funds his Wing Chun Guan with his Printer/Copier repair business

Dead_pool likes this.