Resting heart rate

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Jul 4, 2008.

1. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I used to do a lot of cardio, but haven't done much since I started college. I still have a resting heart rate of about 55bpm

2. righty

righty Valued Member

About 3 years ago now my resting heart rate was somewhere in the high 80s. This was when I was pretty much sedentary as a result of surgury and just being a slob. It's now comfortably in the 60s so it can change, and fitness wise I still wouldn't consider myself 'excellent' as in that table.. A have heard of a few athletes can theirs down in the 40s. But 28 just seems crazy.

3. Leaf

Leaf New Member

I've heard about all of those alarm clocks, actually. The flying one is way cool. I'm a morning person, so it's no big deal. I've had class before 7 am for 3 years.

Mine's in the 60s as well (by counting and clock-watching.) I was actually told during a pickup frisbee game that I "run too much" by the person whose job it was to chase me and make sure I didn't catch passes, so I'm assuming I'm doing ok. :p

Fell running sounds like fun. Unfortunately, my college campus is even flatter than my hometown, both of which are in the US. Do we even have anything that qualifies as a fell or is that a UK term?

4. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

Yeah a good heart rate is around 60bpm, but elite level athletes are usually around the 40 mark (especially swimmers). My normal heart rate is around 50 but in meditation goes down to around 30. Have heard stories of monks that are in a meditative state getting their heart rate down to one beat every couple of minutes, enough to be classed as clinically dead. Not sure of the truth in that so don't hold me to it.

5. Leaf

Leaf New Member

Plenty of room to improve then. Of course, I knew that much already.

Oh, and both of the 400m IM world records were broken in the US Olympic trials a week or two ago.

6. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

My resting heartbeat was 47 last time I checked it, although daily I would guess it's a touch higher, perhaps 50-55 bpm or thereabouts...

7. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I have one of those too. My HRM does calories, HR, max HR (in a session) and average HR (in a session).

At rugby training (short sharp bursts of running/shoving), I regularly get max HR of 210+, with an average of 175.

At TKD sparring, I tend to get a max HR of 190, with an average of 170.

At TKD patterns, I tend to get a max HR of 180, with an average of 140.

My resting HR is about 55, but I have seen it as low as 42 (on the HRM). I thought my time was coming!

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

my resting heart rate is about 55-58, I think that is not down to my cardio work, but my family naturally has a low heart rate. my uncle had his tested at the Dr's and was asked if he was an athlete at 50bpm, he didn't understand that he only did a bit of cycling.

coffee/tea will definately affect your resting heart rate, I've had mine taken after a day at work with caffinated beverages and it's about 10bpm higher.

I've not tested my rate in meditation usually I am meditating too much to reach for a heart monitor.

9. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

can someone define resting heart rate for me ?

10. i11umin8ted

i11umin8ted Valued Member

The number of heart beats per minute one has when not engaging in an activity that would raise the heart rate.

11. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Here was my problem is it when you are just sitting / standing / walking because i can bring it back to like 45/46 if i concentrate on bringing it back as low as i can but should i take the rate it gives when for example i'm just watching television or something and not concentrating on breathing / relaxing ?

12. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

If you remember - take your heart rate when you've woken up.

If you're doing ANYTHING other than nothing, then your heart has to beat faster to make the muscles work, so it's not your resting heart rate.

Surely, a better indication of fitness is how quickly your heart rate returns to normal.

13. i11umin8ted

i11umin8ted Valued Member

@Arnoo
    Yeah, take the rate when you're not actively trying to reduce it. My resting is 59 last I checked, but with forcible relaxation I can bring it into the 40s

14. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

ah ok its about 60 then

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

my recovery rate seems to be pretty good at the moment. Wish I had a heart rate monitor for my 60 mile bike race tomorrow,would be very interesting!

16. Svart

Svart Valued Member

After smoking for 6 years my cardio is pretty shocking. This is now day 21 without a smoke and resting HR is around 80. I can already feel how much more energy I have and Ive been running quite a lot. Every day on my walk to the station I get to run up a horribly steep hill.
    As long as it keeps improving ill be happy.

17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Apologies for the off topic, but as an ex-smoker myself I love hearing stories like this. Congrats so far and keep it up!. :)

18. Svart

Svart Valued Member

Haha thank you :) How long has it been since you had a smoke?

19. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

A good 7 or 8 years. Don't miss it at all these days. ;)

20. Svart

Svart Valued Member

Haha well done. I still get cravings at the moment. Just trying to concentrate on my training to get me through them.