Resting heart rate

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I got into a conversation about heart rate at the gym so decided just to monitor mine when I got home. Sat down resting its 62bpm. That was after shouting at my bf and having a coffee so may be a little faster than normal.I was reading the adult range is 60-100, so I am presuming this is pretty good? I have been doing lots of cardio lately so this must be one of the reasons it's in the lower range?
    I haven't really been into the science side of training but I am getting more interested and may invest in a monitor at some point to chart my progress and know when to push myself. I'm also thinking of doing more interval training than I do now, I train hard but never till my heart is coming out of my chest or I feel on the verge of throwing up, not sure if that's a good idea ,especially if you exceed your max heart rate.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

I think thats sometime in cardio you are supposed to pushing yourself till failure but trust me sometime you will actually succeed in achiving a PR that you didnt ever think of achiving.

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Just reading Miguel Indurain, the cycling legend, had a resting rate of 28bpm which was the lowest recorded rate for a healthy human!

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think it was claimed somewhere that Bruce Lee's was about 20 something too!

5. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

This is false!
    see the end of this page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee
    The Physical feats
    I think 80% of them are myths :rolleyes:

6. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

28bpm? Isn't that technically a coma? :p

Best time to take it is when you just wake up.

7. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

could you specify wich ones and why you think they are myths

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'd like to dispute a few of them, but alas that would mean dragging the thread off topic, and that would not be good.

There are a few other Bruce Lee threads currently floating about that this could be used for this though, if you're so inclined.

9. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

well sure post something in them and i know there is alot of bs about bl if you look around but most of the stuff from wikipedia i'v come accros in more then 1 recource

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

OK ok! Ignore the Bruce Lee thing!

What about 62/63, that pretty good?

11. CosmicFish

AFAIK, a RHR of 60 is pretty good, yes. More so for a woman. For some reason, a women's RHR's tend to be about 5 BPM higher on average than a man's.

I believe 72 is generally considered to be about average. I've heard that people like Lance armstrong and Seb Coe had RHRs in the low 30s or even upper 20s at their peak!

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Mine is usually about 45 but I can control it further by breathing (I used to shoot over very long distances and you need to control the wobble caused by breathing), once when I was going into shock after a liver biopsy my HR went down to 16 but I was still conscious (but wouldn't have stayed that way for long if the med staff hadn't intervened, thanks NHS Scotland )

13. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yo i did mine the other morning! was 44 by my dodgy counting!

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Show off :D

Yeah ,well ,mine is now....26 so ha!

It's not really.

15. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

nar nar na nar narrrrrrrr!

My beat is weird though, it goes, bu bum, bu bum, bubumbubum..........then kicks in again bu bum bu bum bubumbumbubum..........

i put it down to doing loads of sprinting??

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I know what you mean, mine was a bit odd. I had been drinking coffee though and finished a hard cardio session and then a weights session only an hour or so before. Will try it tomorrow morning as that's apparently the best time.

17. Leaf

Leaf New Member

Unless your alarm clock is unfriendly. I wake up about two minutes before my alarm and get up so I don't have to hear it.

Now I'm curious about mine. It would have been interesting to watch if/how it changed when the track team was trying to figure out what to do with me.

18. CosmicFish

Just a quick heads-up for anyone that doesn't know. You can buy "natural" or "gentle" alarm clocks that wake you up gradually. Some imitate the rising sun by gradually increasing lighting, others have a soft sound that get gradually louder. The idea is to avoid jarring you into wakefulness. You can get them on ebay, amazon, etc, but they're a bit more costly than your average demented electronic banshee version.

I don't have one personally as I'd be late to work every day. ;)

Oh who am I kidding, I'd be even later than I usually am. :D

19. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Then there's the ones that you put under your pillow, and vibrate so violently you're shaken awake :D

The coolest one I've heard of is the one where a little flying object will shoot off the main alarm clock and fly 'somewhere' in the room (hopefully somewhere you can reach it or you're screwed). The alarm won't stop until you retrieve the 'flying thing' and reattach it to the alarm clock.

This is actually an interesting thread. I have a heart rate monitor that just straps around your chest, the readings are sent to a watch thing on your wrist so you can wear it while working out, or even swimming. My resting bpm is terrible, 70 at best. 60 I've always thought to be reasonable for an active person, possibly 50's if you're very active. But Chris's can drop to 40 and I 'was' worried about that. Maybe it's not a heart rate to worry about after all...

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I found this table yesterday but not sure how accurate it is. I do a lot of cardio and have done for the last few years, cycling ,running and things like body combat plus ma training so I am presuming that's why mine is good.Would like to improve it more though,Im guessing it will be lower in a morning. I tend not to get "out of breath" even when doing things like shuttle runs.I fell ran for a few years so learned to regulate my breathing while getting up the hills, as I have done with cycling. I am really pleased though as I have overcome the asthma that used to stop me competing at school :D
    I am surprised I am almost at "athlete" level though! D

http://www.netfit.co.uk/ty13.htm