Restarting Judo - Does belt rank transfer?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Cryomorph, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Cryomorph

Cryomorph New Member

Im starting Judo again, I was wondering will I be able to start again as a green belt? (which I earned as a junior, I'm now 20) or will I be expected to go back to white? I remember all my throws, break falls, most of the Japanese terminology etc.

I live in the UK by the way.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I wouldn't personally - you will have forgotten a lot of what you knew, and the club may have a different way of doing things anyway. Just strap on the old white belt and enjoy the ride :)

3. Cryomorph

Cryomorph New Member

Thanks for the quick response, I'll put my ego aside and work my way back up

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you remember it well then you will quickly be back where you were - good luck on restarting the journey!

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Probably a good idea. It'll be a good refresher and help you get your muscle memory and sport-specific fitness back up to their previous levels.

6. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I would just get a white belt. In MA and most other sports (and much of life), not practicing a skill for a long time sets your skills way back. There's no shame in starting over. Besides, in judo particularly, you would not want to be performing green belt level technique with white belt level skills. Sure way to get injured.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Better to be a white belt with a couple old skills than the new green belt who is completely clueless