rent in malaysia or indonesia

Discussion in 'Silat' started by zakariyya21, May 21, 2012.

1. zakariyya21

zakariyya21 Valued Member

what are the prices of rent in indonesia or malaysia for rent if you was to go there to learn silat? I'm talking like a one bedroom apartment or something.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's going to depend on what city. Both Indonesia and Malaysia have different economies. Just because they are both Muslim countries doesn't mean they're going to have the same rents. Having recently been in Malaysia I would guess overall it's more expensive than Indonesia. Indonesians go to Malaysia as a labor force and not the other way around. So that's telling.

What city are you thinking of staying in? Do you speak Bahasia at all?

3. zakariyya21

Its just something i'm considering I dont know any of the languages spoken although I do know arabic, So I was hoping as they are muslim also I would just go to a mosque and ask see if anyone knows arabic there and could point me in the rught direction.

I'm just hoping for a average figure I know it will change from place to place doesnt have to be anything fancy just a standard one bedroom apartment.
    I know Indonesia is cheaper than malaysia also.

Do you know any average prices or good areas for learning silat? I was looking at Silat kuntao tekpi but I'm open to anything really.

Just need info on prices, I'd rather go Indonesia as my money would go further.

I heard west Java is good for Silat but any other places I'm open to.

I'd also be going there for religous reasons.

4. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Most of my family lives in Malaysia and i used to go there almost every year for 2 months at a time. Haven't caught any Arabic out there, but certainly Bahasa-Malay, Chinese, and English are spoken (the latter being understood by most city-dwellers). Unfortunately, most of the silat i found on visits in 2004 and 2005 was more for show than combative application - it's not like a muay thai camp where an outsider can just show up and train for a while.

You might actually be better off studying Silat here in the UK. I recently attended a 2-day seminar with Maul Mornie, who teaches Silat Suffian Bela Diri - a system heavily based in combative applications. Form-wise, SSBD is more upright than the Silat i had tried previously (which was very low-to-the-ground and not particularly kind to my legs). If i'm not mistaken, he'll also be hosting a summercamp here in the UK soon.

5. zakariyya21

Janno When do you do your kali lessons are they still running?

6. zakariyya21

In the mosque there must be someone who understands arabic an imam or something.

7. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

In Indonesia there are religious boarding schools called PESANTREN. Arabic and (sometimes) Silat are taught at these schools so this might be an option for you. I think few Indonesians speak conversational Arabic though (they just learn to read the Koran in Arabic)... I can see you being invited to teach conversational Arabic or English at a Pesantren.

8. Janno

Janno Valued Member

I'll be running workshops and private tuition over the summer - June to September - and then we'll be back at SOAS from October to May. Most of the seminars i run are open to everyone, and are great for beginners and practitioners from outside the system to come and pick up some new tech. You're more than welcome to attend :)

9. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I'm in Malaysia.

Rooms in Kuala Lumpur, the capital, go from 100 to 300 USD in general...

Most speak English here. ;)

Most DON'T speak Arabic.

Silat is taught but the really good stuff will take time and trust. ;)

10. slipthejab

Yeah going to Indonesia or Malaysia and hoping to get by in Arabic is foolhardy at best. While they do have large muslim populations the numbers that speak Arabic competently are very low. You're better off with English or Chinese if you can't speak Bahasa. That being said... pick up some Bahasa... not a terribly difficult language and has a huge pay off if your going to be based out of Malaysia or Indo.

11. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

What are your goals as far as studying Silat in Indonesia/Malaysia?

12. jpgayong

jpgayong New Member

My personal experience, if you don't have someone to "vouch" for you as a silat practitioner, you may have trouble "finding" Silat. You can find a teacher or a school but they may or may not teach you. Even if you can find, but you may pay a lot for something that is more commercial and you might not get what you are looking for. There is Silat in the UK and in other places in Europe. Have you looked by you already?

13. zakariyya21

i also speak english as I live in london

14. zakariyya21

I plan on going there to memorize quran as my money would go further and last me longer as it's sterling, so I woudn't have the stress of having to work, I could live off my savings, but I just thought while i'm there I might as well learn some silat, I did some silat in Egypt, and i'm still in contact with my old teacher who's indonesian. He told me to contact him any time I want to go, but I wanted to see more variations of this beautiful art, but the way ppl here are making it seem is like it's still very hard to come by.Also the prices quoted here are very high compared to what my old teacher told me I think I'll just contact him when I'm ready to go.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  15. slipthejab

Yeah no one can guarantee you anything. Just like it says in the travel guide... prices subject to change and fluctuation without prior notice. That's life. If you're intent on going... get that ticket and go. You'll sort it out as you go. That's part of the experience. You can only ever plan so much.

16. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

It would be best if you know somebody there to book the accommodation for you so you get the RIGHT price :)

17. waleedalmushara

waleedalmushara New Member

assalamu alaykum zakariyya,

i am going to egypt inshaallah soon, and was wondering what kind of silat your teacher teaches there, and if he would be willing to teach me if i contact him... i'd really appreciate your help on this,

salams,

waleed

18. zakariyya21

wa alaykum salam akhi, the silat he was teaching was silat Tapak Suci I don't know if your interested in it, there based in cairo nasr city, if you want I'll get you his number and you can contact him when you land inshAllah. Inbox me if you want his details

19. waleedalmushara

thanks for the quick reply akh zakariyya,

since i just registered on the forum i think i can only post public messages. if you wouldn't mind, however, you could email me at email address removed (see the ToS) as i am interested yes...

thanks again,

waleed

Mod edit: please don't post your email address as doing so is against the ToS. Use the PM system for contacting each other. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  20. waleedalmushara

(apologies to the moderator)

akh zakariyya,

if you could please pm me, as i cannot pm you at the moment, i would be most obliged,

thanks,

waleed