Remembrance Day (11/11) at 11.00

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sgt_Major, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

In order to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and civilians in times of war, MAP will be partaking in a 2 minute silence on Remembrance Day (11/11) at 11.00

During this time there will be no activity on the forums, and should you be on during that time you will receive a message to that effect.

We have chosen two minutes of silence at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month because that was the time (in Britain) when the armistice became effective.

Veterans Day is commemorated in the United States on 11 November, and this 2 minute silence will commemorate that day too.

During this time, I for one will be remembering the sacrifices made both in the past and in the present. We have members of MAP currently serving in war, and I will be remembering and thinking about them during that time. You are all more than welcome to participate.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Excellent news Sgt, lets hope as many MAP'ers as possible join in. Thanks to Johnno for the original suggestion.

3. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Excellent idea. Is there a way to commemorate the MAP members currently serving there too?

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

agree with looby, excellant, and all should take the time to personally thank a Veteran or a currently serving soldier for their sacrifices

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I should like to say when I was serving I used to use the 2 minutes to think about all the people back home as well as the ones who had gone before us.

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

adouglasmhor- sweeeeet avatar

7. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

There is a radio station at the war memorial in Pashendale, Belgium using the callsign ON4PDC. It is the only one I know of that is celebrating the Armistice for the radio community.

Also tomorrow Map will be remembering the fallen. It is a very good gesture. We should also remember the present people in Iraq and Afghanistan and what they are going through at this moment in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.